Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Long Drop Road Bike Calipers… What's good?
  • mboy
    Free Member

Limited knowledge on long drop calipers. Looking at building a bike that requires them. What’s best say at Tiagra/105 quality, and also what would you buy price no object?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Shimano are best. BR450 are very similar to the BR650, but for less money.

Think Velo Orange do some, probably cost alot and are no better.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Shimano are best

3xx is a Sora level component
    4xx is a Tiagra level component
    5xx is a 105 level component
    6xx is an Ultegra level component
    7xx is a Dura Ace level component

Give or take a bit, they don’t always update them with the groupset model years, so I’d imagine the ultegra won’t match the new 11s groupset for a little while.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Bought some Shimano R650s for a winter bike a few years ago, they have been excellent.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I have R650s on my do everything bike. For weenieness they are 2g heavier than the 5700 series 105 calipers. Can’t fault them.

STATO
    Free Member

I was really surprised at a miche set i bought, loads of power, modulation and light action. Thats with campagnolo levers tho, they do tend to make most brakes feel good.

ransos
    Free Member

Bought some Shimano R650s for a winter bike a few years ago, they have been excellent.

Do you think so? I find them pretty sketchy in the wet. They’re better with Salmon pads but still not as powerful as my ultegra “normal” calipers.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Well they won’t be quite as powerful as normal callipers, they’re long drop. Wet braking seems perfectly ok to me.

All this aside, I’m sure the OP can stuff in a pair of his favourite pads.

mboy
    Free Member

OK cheers guys

The consensus so far seems very much in favour of the R650’s. Not too expensive so will consider them. Might end up fitting Campag to this bike though, so anything out there without the big S brand name on it potentially that works pretty well too? How about the Tektro R539’s? My current road bike had Tektro R540’s on it, and whilst I’d say they’re not quite as powerful as Ultegra 6700’s, they’re not far off.

What pads would you suggest? Combination of durability (this will be a “winter” bike) and performance would be good.

plus-one

Tektro do good ones too …

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Tektro are shite compared to the Shimano

Swissstop green pads

boxfish
    Free Member

I will shortly be selling some R650s if you are interested in 2nd hand calipers. They have have nearly new SwissStop green pads fitted.

Mail in profile.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Long Drop Road Bike Calipers… What's good?’ is closed to new replies.