Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Long distance runners, balls advice please…
  • Mugboo

I’ve just got back from a very wet 14 miler and my ballsack is rubbed sore. At 10 miles I had to place the offending articles in a dog poo bag!
    I’m wearing running tights with nothing underneath.

What’s the answer? Lube? Shave? Help please 🙁

Rubber_Buccaneer

What’s the answer?

I have two bricks and would be happy to help 🙂

allthegear
    Free Member

I’m sure mrsfry could suggest a radical solution…

wombat

Veet and compression undershorts FTW

hammyuk
    Free Member

Magic powder NOT Veet 😯

+1 for UA underwear

molgrips
    Free Member

What? Wear some kecks ffs.

Not your standard M&S ones though – base layer type ones known to us as powerpants:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/runderwear-mens-support-brief/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360610657&ci_src=18615224&ci_sku=5360610657uk&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign=UK_PLA_Clothing&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid%7cshcEjk7Bk_dc%7cpcrid%7c67090791782%7cpkw%7c%7cpmt%7c%7cprd%7c5360610657uk

Whatever your preference in terms of gender identity, they will love you.

matt_bl
    Free Member

+1 for undershorts of some description, definitely something with flat seams. To be honest you’ve done well to get that far, I bet that stung in the shower!

A good general chafing/rubbing solution is ‘bodyglide’. It’s well beloved by triathletes for stopping wetsuits from rubbing your neck.

Matt

prawny

When I was doing my half marathon training and race I wore bibshorts for running in, never had any issues after I started doing that. Before was a nightmare, couldn’t do 3 miles without sore legs from chafing.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Don’t wear anything else – just makes rubbing worse IME

Sudocream and/or Vaseline applied well has seem me through various ultras

edit: bodyglide has a nasty niff IMO, but was good for parting triathletes from their money on the idea that Vaseline rotted wet suits!! Hook, line and …..

fasthaggis

Lard

avdave2

I had to place the offending articles in a dog poo bag!

It was handy that some thoughtful dog owner had left a bag for you. Personally I would have tried mud before dog shit but that’s just me.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Suitable for all sorts of sports injuries…..let us know how you get on.

theteaboy
    Free Member

I have some Helly merino boxers. They’re ace, but a little warm.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I use Assos Chamois cream where ever I get rubbing and no issues.

welshfarmer

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wNn0zToBwE[/video]

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Just sling ’em over your shoulder.

1981miked
    Free Member

Buy some skin360 underwear, shave the plumbs, cover liberally in talcum powder.. Go run. Works for me.

hammyuk
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Just sling ’em over your shoulder.

All together now…

“Doooooo your balls hang low….”

lucky7500

Compression shorts are your friend! I use Under Armour ones which I picked up in a John Lewis sale but I’m sure others are available. That reminds me, it’s about time I got some new ones!!

wors

I wear some tri shorts under mine, a bit of chamois crème and its reet.

aracer
    Free Member

Beaten to the tri shorts suggestion – that’s what I always wear for long runs and never have any discomfort down there. I’ve found them far preferable to normal running shorts of any variety.

ciron
    Free Member

Sudocreme does me fine for Ultra’s.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Run up to half marathons here. Standard running shorts up to 10km, compression shorts underneath for distances over 10km to reduce chafing.

Mugboo

Thanks folks, I knew you wouldn’t let me and my old man balls down! 🙂

surfer
    Free Member

😯

Wear a pair of running shorts underneath. They should have an inner.

scandal42
    Free Member

14 miles, I’ve just started running off road and can only muster a meagre 2.5 to 3 atm.

Still, enjoyable to get home and not have to deal with a shitty bike clothing.

Cougar

Veet is a bad idea.

See: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Veet-Men-Hair-Removal-Cream/product-reviews/B000KKNQBK

Close fitting boxers for me.

Mugboo

I’ve just turned 45 Scandal42, its been a long and painful road to get to this point but now it’s just a matter of steadily added miles and some talc/veet/Vaseline/inner shorts….

Do lots of stretching on your off days, I even had to relearn how to do that. Use a foam roller lots, treat yourself to some good trainers (I used a good running shop for advice) & do a session of squats, lunges, etc once a week.
    And a heart rate strap & watch has helped me slow down and let my body warm up properly, my engine is a lot better than my chassis and I kept hurting myself!

piemonster

+1 for a good pair of running under crackers.

The good’uns are worth their weight in gold and Vaseline

scandal42
    Free Member

Nice one mugboo, sure I’ll get there in the end.

allthegear
    Free Member

Cougar – I can guarantee you that I’m absolutely sure Veet will not be as bad as having them removed with a laser… Or, indeed, electrolysis (basically, sliding a tiny needle down the side of each hair, into the skin, and then passing an electric current through it until the hair root burns)

Ow ow ow ow…

Rachel

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Have run up to half mara in tri shorts – but why bother if not riding too? The mini chammy does nothing to help – so just get a pair of running lycras instead.

Had a second thought – for ultras (eg 80-100 miles) I went for sudocreme and Vaseline, plain nike lycras and plain running tights on top. For shorter stuff dispensed with the under lycras.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Lob’em off

Or pad them with wire wool

everyone
    Free Member

Scandal I think Running Fox in Loughborough is supposed to be fairly good.

Cougar

Do lots of stretching on your off days

That sounds uncomfortable.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

My PA has just popped in to see if I am ok – cougs, that was naughty. The first review had me in stitches!! 😀

aracer
    Free Member

Yes it does – at least IME. Softer on the skin and rubs less than lycra. I’d reckon that up to half marathon it doesn’t make that much difference, but I’ve done far further and longer than that on my feet (I think the furthest I’ve done in one go is about 50 miles, but on very slow going terrain).

thecaptain
    Free Member

Most running shorts are lined, which IME are fine for anything other than the very longest runs in wet conditions (whether due to heat or rain). Slapping on a bit of vaseline is worth trying if the problem persists. Also see: jogger’s nipple, though I use tape for that.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Fair do’s aracer – I occasionally run in an some old orca tri shorts, so understand your point. Softer chammy I guess?

A sweet caress rather than a harsh rub 😉

mrsfry
    Free Member

Couldn’t you tape them out the way?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Long distance runners, balls advice please…’ is closed to new replies.