Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Long bike rides far from home. What do you do if something goes wrong ?
  • I’ve done a few long rides, but always with lots of zig zagging and small loops, so I’m never more than about 10km from home.
    I’m thinking about having a go at the 109mile Avon Ring or 74 mile Stourport Ring in a day.

What do you do if you get a major problem with the bike 25 miles from home that makes it unrideable ?
    I know it’s pretty unlikely, in fact, I can’t remember the last time I had to push home, so I may be worrying over nothing, after all, roadies go that far from home all the time.
    Come to think of it, I did when I was a kid and thought nothing of it.

Do you have someone on standby with a car ?
    Do you make a note of all the railway stations near the route and carry some cash ?
    Do you just not bother and take a chance ?

RealMan
    Free Member

It’s why people carry tools, spares, first aid kits, phones, and money. A map so you can tell people where you are helps too, but I’m guessing you’d have that covered..

Very rare that something really does go really wrong, but there are lots of people in this country, and most of them speak English, you can always ask for directions to the nearest train station, or get a taxi, or find a bike shop, or call an ambulance. All depends on the type of problem.

Only time I’ve really suffered was when I was about 25 miles from home, and tore a tyre to pieces on a descent. Had to call my mum to come and rescue me 😀

mboy
    Free Member

Question… What on earth do you reckon you could do damage wise to your bike on either of those routes to make it unrepairable?

Personally, only either a snapped chain or a series of punctures is probably likely to be a problem, so just take spares and the tools to fix…

What were you up to not riding on Sunday anyway Graham? Waved at you as we saw you go past just on our way back to the Duke William…

Oh, and if you do have a major issue, make sure you’ve got your phone on you would be my best advice, and the number of someone who can help you out!

qwerty
    Free Member

Crawl inside a freshly gutted sheep.

Klunk
    Free Member

walk

lump

Crawl inside a freshly gutted sheep.

Or a Tauntaun

crikey
    Free Member

Hold on…

This is MTQG, who suggested that we would be unable to follow him around yet another nondescript bit of Midlands farmland, and if we tried he would crush us into oblivion under the wheels of his warhorse… or something.

I call troll.

What on earth do you reckon you could do damage wise to your bike on either of those routes to make it unrepairable?

Broken frame. 😛

Yeah, I carry tools and spares, but well, even with a Rohloff and tubeless, you never know.
    Something as trivial as a broken saddle rail could put an end to the ride.
    I guess for the chances of it happening, the cost of a 25 mile ride in a taxi wouldn’t be too bad.

Mboy, rest day last Sunday. (Sounds good that. Like I’ve got a proper training plan, not just having a day off)

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>so I may be worrying over nothing<

Correct

No disrespect but your planned rides aren’t exactly out there.

RealMan
    Free Member

Something as trivial as a broken saddle rail could put an end to the ride.

WTF? MTFU? If you can’t cable tie the saddle on the seatpost, take the seatpost out, and ride the rest of the way home standing up. Can also cable tie the saddle to the top of the seat tube.

oldgit
    Free Member

If you know your bike and have looked after it you should be able to tell if it’s going to be okay. If on the other hand you’ve bodged bits and pieces, neglected maintenance or just using kit that’s way past it’s sell by date then might one day have a problem.

On my road bike I carry two tubes, no levers or tools. My bikes have never ever let me down in over thirty years.
    BTW I’ve given up on gas as I’ve had issues with frozen valves and one canister that didn’t have enough puff.

Think about tourists, they go for miles without issues.

andrewh
    Free Member

Only unbodgable breakage I’ve had was a snapped frame. THis of course occured on a 140 mile point-to-point road ride with around 30 miles to go.
    Fortunately I was down south and so was in an area where public transport actually exists and got the train.
    Otherwise, I relay on my great boding skills 😀 (mended a bent mech hanger once using an allen key, a stone, a dockleaf and my teeth!)

valleydaddy
    Free Member

rather than a mechanical more what if you suffered a accident causing you to be unable to ride? worse still you are riding solo??

mechanicals there is always a way out,
    run of tubes stuff tyres with bracken/leaves etc,
    chain snap – singlespeed/scooter/
    frame snap – fix with stick, don’t laugh I have seen it work for a while

for safety sake I am now carrying a SPOT on epic rides as at least I know I can summon help if it goes massively tits up assuming I am concious to hit the button

mboy
    Free Member

PLENTY of bike shops of various descriptions within spitting distance of both of your mentioned routes Graham. You’re probably not many miles at any point from at least being able to fix most things if you’ve not got the tools.

Broken frame or shredded tyre would of course be a ride ender, but it would anywhere… You’ll not find me carrying spare tyres or frames with me though, I’ll take my chances and should either happen, I’ll get a taxi to the nearest train station with the bike…

hugor
    Free Member

I always carry lots of cash, my credit card and phone on remote rides.
    I got stuck in the Black Mountains once in the dark with the missus and was reasonably lost with no lights.
    Dropped into a farm house and gave the farmer a 50 in exchange for a lift in his ute with the bikes to Crickhowell which was about 10 miles away.
    Best 50 I’ve ever spent.

rOcKeTdOg

Graham i fancy doing either those routes if you want company, i live 7 mins ride from the worcs-brum canal too, im guessing you know you have to come off the towpath before kings norton because of the tunnel, a good alternative at that point is the north stratford-brum canal

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>I always carry lots of cash, my credit card and phone on remote rides<

That lot are about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike on remote rides – where do you guys ride ffs?

bullheart
    Free Member

Something as trivial as a broken saddle rail could put an end to the ride

I broke a seat-post setting off from the car park at Swinley. Bagged it up, rode 22 miles.

Why the accusations of trolling ?
    I see people everywhere from Mountain Mayhem to Brecon Beast pushing their bikes.
    It happens. It might happen to me further from home than I can walk in what’s left of the day. Why not try to share some ideas about what to do if it does happen ?

Maybe the seat rail wasn’t a good example then.
    I cracked my seat stay and chain stay on the Marin Rough ride. The bike was unrideable with the tyre rubbing on the chain stay.
    I had the threaded pedal insert come loose on my carbon cranks. It lasted half a lap at SITS, it probably wouldn’t have lasted half a lap of the Avon Ring.

Plenty of bike shops near the route, yes, but on a Sunday, it’s Halfords or nothing.

I’ve worked out that what I’ve paid in AA membership since I bought my Land Rover 12 years ago, is many times more than what it would have cost me to get it towed the one time it did fail to get me home. It’s just an insurance really.
    It looks like the best option with the bike is to not bother with the insurance and take a chance, then stump up for a taxi at worst if I really need it.

fubar
    Free Member

Cycle Rescue

I’ve never used it myself

oldgit
    Free Member

I always carry lots of cash, my credit card and phone on remote rides.

And where do you ride when alone 😈

Thanks for the link, Fubar, I thought I’d heard of something like that.
    £35 a year and that’s only to the nearest railway station, or home if nearer.
    Just out of interest, what would a 25 mile ride in a taxi cost on a Sunday ?

RocketDog, I haven’t got a date planned yet, but yes, it would be good to have some company.
    I was thinking of doing the Stourport Ring first as the nearest part of the Avon Ring is still about 20 miles from me, which would put it up to 150 miles in a day.

rOcKeTdOg

and from worcester to brum is all uphill and very busy ATM with the holiday boaters (some of who have no clue with lock gates and regularly flood sections of towpath 🙄 )

the section just before Hanbury up to stoke gets very muddy after rain too, this will slow you down a lot, came up there on wed night though and it was a dust fest

OCB
    Free Member

Zip-ties and ‘gaffa’-tape are your friends.
    The tape is great for field-expedient butterfly sutures too.
    The side of most roads is surprisingly rich in stuff you can use to hack a repair.

The worst thing I’ve had happen far from home was not a mechanical, it was a big ‘bonk’ – as ever when things go wrong, ’twas late one winter’s afternoon, light going, getting cold, windy and starting to get damp – I aimed for a garage for supplies, but found it closed. I sat on the side of the road and had a little sob to myself, head in hands. If it got that bad now, I’d have to call it in, and get a lift home somehow. On a longer ride now I also keep a spare fruit-bar in amongst my bike repair stuff for that contingency.

hugor
    Free Member

Why the accusations of trolling ?

Yeh I don’t get this place either.
    Seems there’s loads of people just sitting around waiting to flame any response sometime.
    OK. I carry a credit card to pay for a long taxi ride if I need to.
    Cash to pay any random person with a vehicle who may drive me out of there. I’ve done this before.
    Phone to be able to call a taxi, friend or mountain rescue if I have reception.
    How are these useless items?

crikey
    Free Member

The accusations of trolling are because MTQG is a very experienced rider who probably does more miles than at least half of the people who post on here. Given that, it seems a very new-to-the-sport kind of question to be asking.

Yes, it happens, but you just get on with it; fix it if you can, or phone/walk/get a taxi if you can’t.

…and as an aside, how much seatpost have you got sticking out of your current frame G? Think that might have some bearing on your record with frames?

oreetmon
    Free Member

+1 for credit card / mobile phone, tis the lazy mans multi tool 😀 and a lot easier than taking everything but the kitchen sink.

Junkyard
    Free Member

because this is Stw we would make a bivvy, trap local wildlife [ graham and i would eat berries and the mushrooms]
    I take pretty much the same as you.
    Only bad ones I have ever had have been close enough to get home.
    Pedal stripped crank once and it hurts to do 10 miles one legged- I was 50 miles in mind]. Broken wheel took out half the spokes and snapped a QR in the middle breaking [ oddly both of those wheels were at the same spot commuting to work].
    Graham something might happen but it is unlikely and it is character building [ really crap at the time but you will get out alive]
    I carry a spare folding tyre on long [road]rides but have never needed it.

large418
    Free Member

MTG,
    you’re probably more likely to put yourself out of action, rather than your bike – silly crash leading to busted bone or head or something. In this situation you might as well be 5 miles from home as 50 miles from home as your only route out is a 3rd party help (ambulance or farmer or something). But, things like this are very rare, and it is surprising how resourceful you could be when stuck.
    My strategy is to take basic spares to fix tyres, chain, loose bolts etc, a phone to summon help if in range, a 1st aid kit (really basic) to strap things together or stop dirt getting in, and a waterproof to help keep warm. Then leave a route description with a trusted one and go ride – if you get stuck you have 2 choices – get out or stay put. Getting out involves walking, crawling or scootering etc. Staying put involves finding a warm ditch or somewhere to get a bit of warmth.

Haven’t needed to employ the emergency strategies yet, but I rely on the fact that not many people die in this country from being outside all night. Of course, not reading newspapers helps keep my niaivety.

andrewh
    Free Member

The side of most roads is surprisingly rich in stuff you can use to hack a repair

I’ve used bits of plastic for patching a tyre that had split, and also some binder twine fortowing someone who’s freewheel had given up (the ‘wrong way’, ie constant freewheeling, not fixed) It is flat in Lincolnshire though and we were on road bikes so that is a viable option.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Well if the worst does happen, happy walking…A healthy diet of ray mears programmes could well make the difference! :mrgreen:

donsimon
    Free Member

Plan ahead and know the route well enough to know where the escape routes are, and know people who are prepared to collect you, this is over and above the usual tools and clothing.
    In lord knows how many miles of riding I’ve only had one serious problem that I couldn’t repair and ride home. Fortunately the residents of the house where the problem happened heard it and gave me a lift home. Result.

AlasdairMc

for safety sake I am now carrying a SPOT on epic rides

How epic though? Reliance on a SPOT could be dangerous in some places, as it means you remain immobile when walking out yourself would be a wiser idea? Mountain Rescue can take hours to come so should not be factored in your plans at all…

crikey
    Free Member

…and over the years I’ve had the lot, broken freewheel, blown a wheel rim off, numerous punctures and other tyre related disasters, broken saddle, snapped chains, and just plain run out of gas 30 miles from home.

It’s the UK, it’s actually surprisingly hard to die from exposure, even in the winter if you have any intelligence.

large418
    Free Member

Whats a SPOT (apart from one of things teenagers burst in the mirror)?

project
    Free Member

Both CTC and the ETA offer a rescue recovery package, or perhaps use the “Stagecoach”, seen lorts of signs for them around.

Cycle Rescue

AlasdairMc

SPOT is a GPS tracker that isn’t reliant on mobile networks

crikey
    Free Member

SPOT is a GPS tracker that isn’t reliant on mobile networks

He’s riding round canals in the Midlands; he’s never going to be more than 5 miles from a chippy, or more than 7 miles from a hairdressers, or more than 12 miles from a bike shop…

For those who didn’t click the links, the routes I’m planning are canal and river loops. Down the river to Worcester, up the canal to Birmingham, back down another canal to Stourport for example.
    Never more than a couple of miles from a road, so I’m not looking for survival tips.

Another question where I’ll probably get accused of trolling.
    How much do taxis cost per mile and do they take credit cards ?
    I’ve never been in one, so I genuinely don’t know.

I’ve done enough solo marathons to have a good idea of how much food and drink I need to carry, so I don’t think that’s a problem.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Long bike rides far from home. What do you do if something goes wrong ?’ is closed to new replies.