Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Long and technical rides near Leek?
  • Stevie-P
    Free Member

Ok I've just moved to Leek and I'm looking for some good long, technical mtb rides closeish to my doorstep!

Anything around The Roaches, Ramshaw etc., way? Is biking even permitted up at The Roaches?

Any info appreciated!

Shorty121
    Free Member

Don't know if these books will cover leak but I think they do.

http://shop.18bikes.co.uk/products.php?plid=m7b0s364p0&tbv=_BOOKS_Guidebooks

Paul-B

I know there's a few routes up towards Buxton etc.

If you find anything then I'd be interested (and likewise if I find anything, I'll happily share) as I live about 5 miles out of Leek towards the Potteries.

higgo
    Free Member

It's a footpath along the top of the Roaches. There's a concessionary BW from Hanging Stone down to Gradbach and some nice (foot)paths in the woods. There's a BW from Roach End down to Moss End Farm but it doesn't really go anywhere and ends up in a bog in all but the driest conditions.

Just a bit further North though and there's loads of good stuff: Macc Forest, Three Shires, Cumberland Brook, Goyt Valley etc. All of which you can link and mix (including Gradbach and the Roaches) to make it as long and/or as technical as you want.

Drop me a line via the email in my profile and I can send you some maps as either tracklogs files or PDF which you can use as a starting point.

cuckoo
    Free Member

There's a BW from Roach End down to Moss End Farm but it doesn't really go anywhere and ends up in a bog in all but the driest conditions.

I use this bridleway (technical singletrack) and link it up with three shires head further north from where you can link with Cumberland Brook etc.

Or if you are prepared for a bit of road work I nip through Dun Cows Grove and link up with the Hollinsclough descents (featured in the V-Graphics book).

As you say cerainly one for the dry weather though.

Some good stuff in Gradbach wood near Lud's Church and whilst the Dane Valley Way is marked as footpath on the OS maps I'm pretty sure it is a bridleway on the ground. 🙂

Stevie-P
    Free Member

Cool thanks all. Higgo yhm.

Paul B; I've gotta get some good rides in ready for Afan Monster so give me a shout if you wanna head out.

amodicumofgnar

Bike Maps do a good selection of A4 sized maps showing all legal stuff in the area. Using these and the v-graphics guides you can stick together some good riding all the way to Hayfield.

higgo
    Free Member

Maps sent.
    Enjoy.

Stevie-P
    Free Member

Thanks Higgo!

higgo
    Free Member

Splendid evening to be on the Roaches and in Gradbach woods – rode over from Macc, ended up in The Ship at Wincle and got a lift home.

Result!

collie
    Free Member

Higgo,
    I live in Leek and would appreciate a copy of the PDF showing how to link The Roaches area with Macc forest. YGM

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Long and technical rides near Leek?’ is closed to new replies.