Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • London Spy
  • IHN

some terrible acting from Ben Whishaw

WHAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTT?!

But then I could say

A poor script and some terrible acting from Ben Whishaw[b]pretty much everyone[/b] is being compensated for by some classy production and atmospheric cinematography.

about True Detective Series 2, which other people seemed to like.

mefty
    Free Member

I am with DD on this – it is ok. Like most BBC modern drama output – very cliched in portraying a wholly unrealistic perception of the establishment and how they operate, the Club scene was the biggest example of this, and surely we have moved on from 60 year gays going to Turkish Baths. It is however better than the 1 star review it got from the Telegraph, I will probably see it through.

IHN

It is however better than the 1 star review it got from the Telegraph

Well of course the Establishment won’t like it 😉

mefty
    Free Member

The Telegraph is read by people who think they should be the establishment – not whose who are.

EDIT: Things have changed since Yes Minister

Hacker: Don’t tell me about the press. I know exactly who reads the papers. The Daily Mirror is read by people who think they run the country; The Guardian is read by people who think they ought to run the country; The Times is read by the people who actually do run the country; the Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country; the Financial Times is read by people who own the country; the Morning Star is read by people who think the country ought to be run by another country, and the Daily Telegraph is read by people who think it is.

Sir Humphrey: Prime Minister, what about the people who read The Sun?

Bernard: Sun readers don’t care who runs the country, as long as she’s got big tits.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Just checking my understanding of something here:

The American he met by the Thames left the boiled sweet with something inside it that I guess looks like a ‘suppository’. If it’s an oral pill it’s a pretty big one.

His flat mate finds the pill and is shocked and upset for him, asking why he didn’t say anything but about what is not really explained. Is that particular pill so synonymous with anti-retroviral drugs (because I’m assuming finding it is the reason she now thinks he’s HIV+)?

It cuts from there to him getting an HIV test, and it’s not really explained why he suddenly felt the need to do that unless he then clicked that the ‘pill’ he was given is indeed synonymous with HIV drugs and therefore left as a warning.

All of which is fine but the narrative is asking a lot of the audience to pieces together. Have I pieced more together than is there or is this how other people read it?

Sui
    Free Member

i’m in two minds over this series. Yes it’s a little slow, but then i think we’ve all been wired of recent to watch fast paced action stuff, it also doesn’t help that they’ve tried to make it look a bit James Bond. I like the general darkness about it, the production is good though i’ll admit (and not being prude), that gay gang bang scene in the last episode was a bit 😯 .

IHN

Greg – basically, yes.

Sui – that’s pretty prudey, all that was shown was the sides of some naked fellas

allthegear
    Free Member

geetee1972 – I thought the pill was a 160mg OxyContin. Same colour, shape etc. Having one of those as the core of a sweetie would be kind of interesting as sucking the sweetie would be fine, even if you sucked the pill. Crushing the sweetie, however, would crush the pill, releasing a large dose of Oxycodone into you at once. That much might well be fatal to somebody who isn’t already hooked on ‘hillbilly heroin’.

Rachel

Sui
    Free Member

it was more how well they made the suggestion on a BBC drama..

fasthaggis

All of which is fine but the narrative is asking a lot of the audience to pieces together. Have I pieced more together than is there or is this how other people read it?

I was kinda thinking the same and hope that these pieces will fit, once there is more back story revealed.
    I think Wishaw’s acting is spot on,it only seems strange and off script until you get shown another part of the puzzle,then(for me)it works even better.

DezB
    Free Member

It’s probably worth sticking with Debz

Nah, it had it’s chance. Came across to o try-hard for me.

IHN

DezB – Member

It’s probably worth sticking with Debz

Nah, it had it’s chance. Came across to o try-hard for me.

Says the man who thought True Detective 2 was good, and if anything was try-hard, that was.

Anyhoo, different strokes for different folks. And we all liked Diff’rent Strokes, right? 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

“Kimberley” ^^^ became addicted to booze/pills and eventually committed suicide. The real-life actress that is.

DezB
    Free Member

Says the man who thought True Detective 2 was good, and if anything was try-hard, that was.

Anyhoo, different strokes for different folks. And we all liked Diff’rent Strokes, right?

[video]https://youtu.be/Qw9oX-kZ_9k[/video]

slowoldman

Oxywhat? I didn’t realise I was supposed to understand pharmacology and drug paraphanalia to be able to piece the plot together. I am endeavouring to watch it – admittedly whilst doing something else. I’ll stick it out but it’s not Tinker, Tailor.

Just how creepy can Mark Gatiss be though?

zanelad
    Free Member

The more I see Mark Gatiss in non League of Gentlemen roles the better he seems to be.

zippykona

I’m busy should I try and watch this or the Bridge?

zanelad
    Free Member

I’m busy should I try and watch this or the Bridge?

This. There’s less episodes.

avdave2

Some very good acting means I can ignore the terrible collection of cliches it’s constructed from. I really can’t believe they used the business card with no name or number not just once but twice.
    Some people on here seem to think they are not clever enough to follow it, they are wrong, they are not stupid enough to follow it.
    There will be no satisfactory conclusion, it’ll be left so they can run another series and at the end there will be huge holes in the plot but I for one an enjoying watching the performers.

allthegear
    Free Member

Slowoldman – could also be a PrEP. A prophylactic against HIV like Truveda that’s in assessment at the moment.

Actually, in context it does make more sense, if less fun.

Pills do also look similar:

Rachel

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Penultimate episode. Need to avoid the red wine and try to stay awake this week.

Still undecided but hoping for big climax!

spacemonkey

The reveal … Da shit just got real!

Houns

Who are they?

Why was the police woman crying?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sideline, but was was Scottie’s car? Thought it was a Facel or something, but not sure.

However, nicely twisted and leading still!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Worked it out! Jensen CV-8 MkIII

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

A ha. I thought it was a Bristol.

Well the ending was dreadful. Why did they do that? So so disappointing.

allthepies
    Free Member

Not a great ending was it. The series seemed to lose its way in the final third.

mefty
    Free Member

I will probably see it through.

I did and I wish I hadn’t – it just got worse and worse.

DrJ

Turns out his (not-real-life) parents live just down the street from me. Next door to Juliette Binoche and a load of other TV characters.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It didn’t end well. Sadly.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The most soporific drama in recent time. Enjoyed one and then fell asleep in 3 and 4 and was fighting sleep from 14 mins onwards last night.

I should have given up after episode one – disappointing for me

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yep, bit of a let-down. Far fetched bollocks that the average acting couldn’t rescue.

jambalaya
    Free Member

🙁 damn I knew I shouldn’t have checked the thread, my own stupid fault, have yet to see the final episode on catchup

project
    Free Member

Great acting, weird story lines,and even better filming , but left the door open for future series,sad that scottie killed himself or did he, nice how he left his house and car to the young freind.

wallop

What a crock of shite.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The series held our attention, cleverly shot. Ending was total pants though, that last elisode was easily the worst

avdave2

Just watched the final episode and I have to say one of the most consistent shows I’ve seen, the slide from excellence to dire drivel was beautifully smooth and well executed. I don’t think there was a single moment when the downward trajectory was interrupted.

jambalaya
    Free Member

😀

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘London Spy’ is closed to new replies.