• This topic has 9 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by ben.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • London pub for a birthday do.. 30+ people
  • ben
    Free Member

Evening all

Any recommendations for a pub or bar, ideally within walking distance of London Bridge that would accommodate a big group for dinner and drinks on a Saturday night in May Bank Holiday weekend, like 30 – 40 big?

Somewhere with fairly decent pub grub, a bit lively and decent music in the evening… Asking the impossible?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

The people’s park tavern, hackney though.  Awesome place and near my old cricket nets

https://www.peoplesparktavern.pub/

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bear in mind that lots of City pubs, especially those over the river, tend to either shut, or be really quiet, at weekends. Even more so on a bank holiday Saturday. That may be in your favour, as you might be able to get a room/area/bar to yourself more easily.

However, a bank holiday weekend around Borough Market area can be heaving!

I like the King’s Arms on Roupell Street, but it might be a little too far away, and possibly too small!

Over the river, I can think of a few good City boozers, but as above, I fear they might not be open.

ben
    Free Member

Cheers both, will make some calls.

Good point on the City being quiet… Fingers crossed

cchris2lou

there is a massive pub on st catherine docks with private rooms i think .

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The Dickens?

Bit of a dump.

jaminb
    Free Member

Booking

They are shut at the weekends but will open for private parties.

really nice boozer

sillysilly
    Free Member

Couple of options:

https://www.greeneking-pubs.co.uk/pubs/greater-london/anchor-bankside/

Just a few mins from Lond bridge station / Borough market, but large enough to take a big group if you book an area in advance. They have an upstairs bit you can rent + outside terrace with food / drink. More traditional style pub, not so good for live music.

Borough market pubs are much livelier but you will struggle with group size and they are quite tight on security these days so you are likely to be turned away in a big group.

https://www.apres.london/

Just round the corner. They may be able to sort out an area too if you get in touch / pre book. Open area with inside / out, food options and table football / large screen Mario Kart fun. There is likely to be some kind of music / event if you ask them too.

marp
    Free Member

Ayup ben, this used to be my old stomping ground… So have a few suggestions (moved to Oz 4 years ago so worth checking them online to see if they are still good…)

The goldsmith on southward bridge rd (between southwark and borough tube stations)- we hired the whole pub for our leaving do (i think it was just a minimum spend at the bar), we had free reign of music (plugged our ipod in) and they catered also. Was a great time and they used to have cracking beer too..

The roebuck on great dover street (near borough tube station) has a few seats outside (although you can’t book them), a private function room upstairs and fairly decent food. Beer used to be pretty good there – mostly craft beer and lagers… This used to be our local and is a really nice, friendly pub and is pretty big.

The old red lion on kennington lane (near kennington tube) – bit of a walk but a great pub and you used to be able to book out the conservatory bit out the back for a minimum spend (we had our engagement party). They sometimes have a weird beer selection to compliment their standard taps…

The laughing gravy on southward bridge rd (Southwark Tube Station) – great food but a bit pricey, more gastropub than boozer.

The royal oak on tabard street – routinely wins best pub ever from CAMRA (London bridge or Borough). Properly great old school boozer, traditional pub grub, not the biggest and used to have stinky toilets. Byut they do harveys beer and they do it really, really well.

We are moving back in a few weeks so will give you an update on whether they are still as good!

ben
    Free Member

Awesome, great suggestions – thanks all.

One final question, any suggestions for somewhere to go to later, given we’ll still likely be 30+ strong?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘London pub for a birthday do.. 30+ people’ is closed to new replies.