Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • London Marathon – Advice needed
  • Premier Icon steve-g
    Free Member

Hi

I am “running” the marathon on Sunday and want to meet up with the guy I trained with for the last few months to run the initial 13-16 miles with him. We both have the Red start, but I am in Zone 8 and he is in Zone 9. If we want to meet, can I simply go to the back of Zone 8 and he goes to the front of Zone 9 and they meet, or does it not work like that at the start? Would we be better off me starting at the back of Zone 8, going slowly and agreeing to keep to the left and he look out for me? I might make a flag or something?

Also, what time do I need to get there? I live about 2 miles from the start so getting there 90 minutes early just seems a bit odd to me

Premier Icon Moe

Meeting on the back and front of pen 8 & 9 would work but equally you should be able to go into pen 9 with him. Meeting up is notoriously problematic but the earlier you both get there the easier it will be.

…… staying together once you start running can also offer challenges! The center line of the road is a good place to be and don’t get distracted trying to look behind for them if you loose touch (good chance you will end up on your nose!). Also don’t try to fight through the masses during the first few miles, just go with the flow else you will waste energy.

Premier Icon turboferret

The alternative to meeting in the pens, would be to duck into the field on the right just after you get through the gates at the top of the park. Lots of folk dash across to the toilets there before crossing the line, in the Good for Age start area.

Good luck for Sunday, I’ll be there too, aiming to totally smash my PB, but will potentially implode horribly in the process 😀

Cheers, Rich

Premier Icon steve-g
    Free Member

Thanks

We plan to meet at the train station prior to heading to the start, I will attempt to get into pen 9, and then failing that will wait it out on the right hand side just through the gates until I see him. Anything to avoid having to do 26 miles in solitary…as much as with 39000 other people is solitary

Premier Icon Tiger6791

Can’t help but I’m also in Red9 😆

Good luck all

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

Good luck to you all running this weekend – I had to pull out due to injury 🙁

Premier Icon mogrim

Would we be better off me starting at the back of Zone 8, going slowly and agreeing to keep to the left and he look out for me? I might make a flag or something?

Not done the London Marathon, but have done plenty of other mass start races – and there’s not a chance that he’ll find you without a flag or similar, unless you both agree to stop at a given point and wait for the other. And even with a flag you’ll probably find it hard.

Premier Icon Moe

The first year I ran, I peroxided my hair a few weeks prior and then the night before clippered three stripes through! drastic but it worked a treat for my family spotting me! Even got recognised in the tube station the day after by a guy in a suit going to work that had run it too.

Premier Icon turboferret

I hope everyone who ran yesterday is in reasonable shape today!

Pretty pleased to knock 5 minutes off my PB to finish in 2:35 😀

Cheers, Rich

Premier Icon jamj1974

2:35! 8O. Really well done!

Premier Icon allthegear
    Free Member

Wow – well done!

I was quite proud of my 2:16 in the Cambridge Half Marathon until I read this thread… 😳

Rachel

Premier Icon cloudnine

What happened to that exhausted runner.. Did he just bonk big time?

Premier Icon alanf
    Free Member

Great running TF – excellent work as it was quite hot out on course.
    There were quite a few runners who looked a bit worse for wear long before the finish.
    I managed an almost 7 minute pb which wasn’t bad considering where I was 9 months ago 🙂
    What a great day out, and very well done to all the other runners.

EDIT – looks like the exhausted runner is OK.
    Marathon runners

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

I was quite proud of my 2:16 in the Cambridge Half Marathon until I read this thread…

That’s a great time Rachel – no need to compare yourself with others (especially ones that are clearly regular runners doing that sort of time). At least you are still running unlike me 🙁

Premier Icon surfer
    Free Member

@Turboferret Thats an excellent time, well done 🙂

Premier Icon theotherjonv
    Free Member

WOW!

I saw an on course interview yesterday that inspired me; a bloke was doing his 100th marathon, and on his birthday too. His 80th[/u] birthday.

I’m 48 in 3 weeks, so will be 50 in 2 years time, so I’m going to see if I can get properly back into running* and do one before I’m too old.

Gambling on a Londo space for a particular year seems a bit daft so I’m thinking maybe of Brighton?? Any thoughts, want it to be ‘big’ but also accessible, ie: SE England.

* used to run a lot for football fitness, done plenty of 5 and 10K’s BITD and I think 6 half marathons over the years (PB 1:42). Then a football knee injury made running hard, physio said get a bike instead, and 20-odd years and several thousand pounds later I’m thinking of running again.

Premier Icon beinbhan

Paris marathon is good for first marathon

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Free Member

Turbo well you have the right forum name ! Great time. I’d be quite pleased to ride 26 miles in 2:35 😐

@theotherjonv – you can guaranty a place by committing to raise a certain amount for the lead charity or another of your choosing which has places

Premier Icon surfer
    Free Member

Or if you can convince them you are “good for age”

Good for age criteria

Alternatively if you are a member of a running club registered with British Athletics you may be lucky enough to get one of their entries although these are often keenly sought after!

Premier Icon mogrim

Or if you can convince them you are “good for age”

Good for age criteria

But you need to run a marathon first to get that, I don’t think theotherjonv has done that…

If you’re happy to fly why limit yourself to SE England? Paris, Berlin, Rome, Madrid – all a couple of hours away.

Free Member

SE England because my family would want to come, my parents, others. Logistically going away to do one is just too much.

I’m reluctant to take a charity place because 1/ i want to do it for me, to tick a box and prove I can, and I’m somewhat against doing something you want to do and then asking people to donate for it. 2/ That said i did a MTB solo a couple years back and people were very generous about that, I don’t want to take the piss. 3/ There’s a chance my knee will not survive, I won’t be able to do it and i don’t want that pressure – if it doesn’t survive it’ll probably be surgery. Morally I’m not sure I want to encumber the NHS with that when it’s purely for my own ‘enjoyment’ – and if it’s just for me and my knee can’t do it then i can happily say I tried and pack in before properly crocking it. If i was at the behest of a charity it’s no longer my choice.

I did Paris-Versailles 20-odd years ago; one of the last big runs i did (it’s 16k but most of it’s bloody uphill. On cobbles). Lovely event, but logistically as i say, those options are off the table.

[OK, not most, but YKWIM]

Free Member

Just looked at ‘good for age’ criteria

**** off.

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

I’m reluctant to take a charity place because 1/ i want to do it for me, to tick a box and prove I can, and I’m somewhat against doing something you want to do and then asking people to donate for it.

That was always my position but as I turn 50 this year I had my heart set on running so got a place via Children with Cancer. So next year I will apply for a ballot place again but (if I get a place) will fundraise for CwC.

Premier Icon surfer
    Free Member

But you need to run a marathon first to get that, I don’t think theotherjonv has done that…

Not necessarily they will accept other events such as 10 milers or HM’s but you have to show a “track record” so if you have ran say a HM in 75 minutes and a couple of good 10ks etc you can persuade them. I did the same thing a few years back when I was 45. I didnt go as far as formally applying but I spoke to them and there was some flexibility, bear in mind you have to provide results !

Premier Icon thecaptain
    Free Member

Hm in 75 gets you a championship start. There isn’t any similar short race equivalent for the good for age category though I’m not denying it may be possible to sweet-tall your way in, if someone says they have done it.

Free Member

I’m still thinking a HM in 1:42 25 years ago counts as ‘distinctly shit at any age’

Premier Icon willard

You still finished it, that puts you above a large chunk of the sofa generation.

Anyway, does anyone know how steve-g did? Turboferret’s time was awesome, but we _need_ to know what happened to the OP!!

Premier Icon mogrim

Anyway, does anyone know how steve-g did? Turboferret’s time was awesome, but we _need_ to know what happened to the OP!!

He probably still wandering the streets of London looking for his mate.

Free Member

Steve_g yesterday

Premier Icon steve-g
    Free Member

So update

I made a flag, then met my mate at Greenwich station and walked over to the start together. Saw the size and busyness of the pens and decided to chance it and managed to get into pen 9 despite having pen 8, guys 2 in front of me was trying the same thing and got turned away, I just got lucky.

I had an awful run, splitting headache from 6 miles that still hasn’t gone away, then struggled massively from 9 miles onwards despite running 2 min a mile slower than half pace and 1 min a mile slower than taking it easy training pace, but beat my PB (one other marathon) spent 5 mins hugging the wife an kids at 19, crowds were amazing, thoroughly enjoyed it. I think it has ruined all other marathons for me now though, nothing comes close

Premier Icon steve-g
    Free Member

lol at theotherjonv – have seen that particular partridge moment used to describe the England team when wellbeck is on the ball

Premier Icon willard

Bloody well done! Glad you managed to meet up with your mate too.

Premier Icon Tiger6791

I was Pen 9 but walked into 8 by accident and nobody said anything, still took over 10 mins to shuffle to the start.. 😀

Premier Icon jamj1974

Nice one Steve!

Premier Icon turboferret

Glad to hear you finished and enjoyed the event 🙂

Cheers, Rich

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘London Marathon – Advice needed’ is closed to new replies.