Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • London… help!
  • HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Okay, perhaps I overdid the drama in the subject line.

Basically, in September I'm taking the missus to London for a couple of nights. We're on a budget but apparently taking a big box of sarnies isn't on. I used to live there and remember a couple of cheap/decent restaurants in the centre of town; I'm wondering if they're (a) still there and (b) still cheap with decent grub: Italian on the corner(ish) of Old Compton St/Charing X Road and Wong Kei's in Chinatown?

Any help or alternatives gratefully received, ta.

bumley
    Free Member

Ping Pong Dim sum restaurant in Soho is very reasonably priced and the food is great – http://www.pingpongdimsum.com

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Masala Zone around the back of Oxford Circus/Carnaby Street does great curries cheap! Get the Grand Thali .. yum!

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

great stuff, thank you 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wonky's? Marvellous! If you like rudeness as a part of your "service"!

Food's not too shabby, but it's no Hunan.

Around Covent Garden, though, you need to go to Rules.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

If you like rudeness as a part of your "service"!

Lol. Just as I remember it then 🙂

Other recommendations taken note of, thanks.

atlaz
    Free Member

Rules is pretty good if you like pies. Try Bodeans in Soho. Not massively keen on Masala Zone after an "incident" when they first opened but the food is actually pretty good as Munqe-chick said. Itsu is good if you want a quick sushi or noodle meal (polonium dip optional). Avoid Cha Cha Moon like the plague as it's awful.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Rules for "pies"? Have you ever eaten there? Yes, there are pies on the menu, but if you order one you really are missing out.

Lanesra
    Free Member

Maroush, cheap Meze for two @ £60 – best meal you can get in central London

Spongebob
    Free Member

Wagamama's – a chain, do cheap oriental stuff. Good for a cheap lunch.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

If you are close enough to Wonkies, then that where you eat. That's the rules.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Heh. It has to be Wonkies then. My missus is now intrigued by just how rude their legendary rudeness can be. Other options are much appreciated for the other night. Many, many thanks.

simon_g

Wahaca in Covent Garden is ace, and pretty cheap – they do mexican "street food". No reservations though, so either eat at a quieter time or expect a bit of a wait. http://wahaca.co.uk/

There's a good italian "Da Mario" on Endell St off cov garden too which does great food at sane prices.

atlaz
    Free Member

Actually CFH, I was mixing it up with Porters.

So yeah, go to porters if you like pies 🙂

Pigface
    Free Member

Havent been to Wonkies for about 10 years but the waiters back then were fine if a little brusque 😆 saw them just yell at this very camply dressed bloke once and sent him everywhere in the place, upstairs upstairs, downstairs downstairs then just blanked him untill he left.
    Khans on Bayswater Road was ok for cheap curry but remains the only curry house i have been to where the waiters got involved in a food fight.

chakaping
    Free Member

There's a good cheap sushi place called Misato just down from Wong Kei, much nicer IMO.

Nick

Cafe Espania on Old Compton St

squin
    Free Member

I haven't lived in London for a few years now, but there used to be a place called The Stockpot (or something similar) which was on the Charring Cross end of Old Compton St, the Italian next door to it was cheap too. There is also a Stockpot around the corner from the Comedy Store just off Leicester Square. There is also a crackin old London Cafe called Bruno's which is on Wardour (sp) Street, just north of where it crosses Shaftsbury Ave. There's also a crackin' sit down Chippy on Berwick Street in the market bit!

swamp_boy

Little Bay – I mainly go to the Belsize one but there is one in Farringdon. Good reasonably priced food with an unfussy S European / Mediterranean theme. Menu isn't extensive but what they do is done well.

New **** Lam Moon in Gerrard st does a good soft shell crab, if you're not in the mood for Wong Kei.

Anyone here been in one of those retro looking Angus Steak Houses round Leicester square area? I sometimes get nostalgic and feel I ought to dust off the suit with the flared trousers, match it with a kipper tie and go in for a soggy prawn cocktail, overdone steak and freezer fresh black forest gateaux with lumps of ice in it, all washed down with Watneys Red Barrel and Blue Nun.

chakaping
    Free Member

Second this place, and make sure you have the chipirones (baby squid).

Little Bay seconded too. Great value and very tasty.

Pierre Victoire in Soho used to be similarly good and cheap, but haven't been in ages.

Nick

Second this place, and make sure you have the chipirones (baby squid).

And wash down with a bottle of Marquis de Caceres

mcboo
    Free Member

Round the corner from Old Compton St is Osatsuma on Wardour St. Fantastic noodle place, go there once a week for yaki soba. Good atmosphere too.

midlifecrashes

Strongly recommend Buckingham Palace, can't miss it, down the end of The Mall. I was down there last Tuesday, and Her Majesty gave me and mrsmidlife a lovely tea at her garden party. Free, too.

mashiehood
    Free Member

Busaba Eathai – near Selfridges – brilliant. (try the thai calamari)

ourkidsam
    Free Member

tick (so I can find this easily)

nomadic
    Free Member

tokyo diner, cheap as chips authentic japanese food 🙂

RepacK
    Free Member

Wonkys is ok if you like cr@p food & sh1te service. You can great pasties at the West Cornwall Pasty Co underneath The Cove in Covent Garden – also good is The Lowlander (belgian beers & continental food) round the corner as is The Bunker (micro brewery) (all in CG). The list of whats good to do in London is as long as the one thats crap..

chakaping
    Free Member

Busaba Eathai – near Selfridges – brilliant. (try the thai calamari)

There's one of these in Wardour Street too, and it is a great restaurant. The best of the Wagamama-style places IMO.

Also worth checking if you're not averse to a bit of veggie is Mildred's in Lexington Street. Went there for the first time last night. Very, very good food and all main courses under a tenner.

monkeychild
    Free Member

😆 Wonkys is ace! I will be honest though I have never had any rudeness?? Maybe they like Northerners 😀

Nick

Mr Kong is a much better Chinese resaurant though and not pricey. On the road south/parallel to Gerrard St (can't remember what it's called).

one_bad_mofo

If you're in the Soho area go to Bar Italia for the best coffee in London. That's it no more to say.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘London… help!’ is closed to new replies.