Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • London – Getting from LHR to Clapham and back with lots of luggage
  • sweaman2
    Free Member

So family sweaman (3 including one 4 year old) are transiting through London on our way home to Calgary.  We are planning on visiting friends (who have no vehicle) in Clapham for the night so have to get from LHR to Clapham area and back again the next morning. Saturday / Sunday so outside rush hour.

It’s been 10 years since I lived in London and the original plan of train etc has probably been scuppered by luggage (including car seat for the 4 year old).  So what are the other options?

Uber? (How does that work with pick-up somewhere like LHR)

Actual taxi? (probably expensive?)

Private hire? (Recommendations as I’m very out of touch).

Other suggestions I’ve not considered?

simon_g

Used https://www.familytransfers.com/ for getting 2 adults, 2 kids, 10(!) bags and a pushchair across London. They were great, driver was lovely, wasn’t much more than a regular airport transfer in a saloon would have been.

They’ll bring kids car seats and use big van-based MPVs like the VW Shuttle or Mercedes V-Class. They just meet you at arrivals and help you the short walk to the short-stay car park.

May be worth asking your Clapham friends if they have a local minicab firm to recommend, 2 adults and 1 kid would fit OK in most cars and some do offer kids car seats.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Overland from Clapham Junction to Feltham then an Uber to LHR used to be pretty cost effective (and quick) during rush hour.

Not sure of the benefits for a family (3x rail tickets etc)

sweaman2
    Free Member

Yeah on trains… that’d be how I’d do it except for the hassle factor.  There’s a bit of cost/benefit analysis to be done in terms of actually enjoying our brief time in London vs worrying about connections etc.

Family transfers does look good so thanks for the recommendation – not heard of them. As 10 years ago I was young(er) and free(er) so not a concern then.

benp1

I just googled clapham minicab – https://www.claphamtaxis.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8vGnq7ib4gIVyr_tCh3szwxhEAAYASAAEgJIhfD_BwE

They’ll wait with a board for you to arrive, and then drop you at the drop off point (presumanbly, that’s pretty standard)

Quote looks pricey, a few other places I’m sure might be cheaper. Your friend can recommend I’m sure.

Other option is to try Addison Lee, national chain on bookable minicabs. Drive a Ford Galaxy so plenty of room

andrewreay

Uber works at Heathrow.

There are hundreds milling around the local housing estates, waiting for you to fire up the app. They’ll meet you in the relevant short stay pick up area of your terminal.

There may be a wait of 5-10 minutes whilst they dispose of their water bottle full of piss behind the shrubs in someone’s front garden, but you’ll find each other when they get to the pick up zone.

Can specify an XL to get you all in.

Minicab a bit less random, and you’ll get someone to meet you with a sign, instead of loitering in the car park.

Good luck whatever you decide!

konagirl
    Free Member

Less than 24 hours, left luggage is £12.50 per item. 24-48 hours is £20 per item. Then take whatever transport you fancy.

Blackberry cars should be about £35-40 each way, but explain how much luggage you have as you may need a bigger car = cost a bit more.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘London – Getting from LHR to Clapham and back with lots of luggage’ is closed to new replies.