Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • London cycling.
  • TurnerGuy
    Free Member
    MrSmith
    Free Member

apparently it is not good for your knees to do this – we are not evolved for the type of stresses that causes.

apparently they said that about singlespeeding and motor powered travel faster than a galloping horse too.

there is a difference between speed moderation and overgeared fixie-pricks doing lock up skids and weaving down the road.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Yawn.

Really a fixed wheel debate?

Can’t we all just get along -there are pricks on all sorts of bikes. It’s just the ones on fixies have beards and tighter jeans. Hopefully the idiots will learn to ride considerately and not influence the noobs along the way.

I see too much cutting up, running lights/zebra crossings – it just gives us all a bad name and makes taxi drivers want to knock us off even more.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fourbanger
    Free Member

MrSmith

you have actually chosen a perfect example for riding fixed over free, you can resist and modulate your speed without locking your rear wheel and without touching the front brake.
    the front wheel/brake combo is same on either fixed or freewheel bike, having a fixed rear is far more controllable on slippery surfaces than a brake, fixed is like abs or engine braking in a car as you can only lock the the wheel if you lock your legs.

I’m sorry to say the evidence would suggest otherwise. Seceral fixie riders hit the deck in comedy fashion after grabbing a handfull of front. You seriously think you have more control in the ice with a fixie than I do with 2 rim brakes?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Fixies are cool. As Kevin Bacon can prove…
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9bQi_fqH5U[/video]

(it does gain a freewheel at certain points)

MrSmith
    Free Member

“I’m sorry to say the evidence would suggest otherwise. Seceral fixie riders hit the deck in comedy fashion after grabbing a handfull of front. You seriously think you have more control in the ice with a fixie than I do with 2 rim brakes? “

yes because my front brake is the same as yours, it’s no different and works the same way.
    rear brakes are less effective than fronts and certainly aren’t going to be used to stop you only for slowing down.
    if you touch the rear brake with the freewheel over a slippery surface it’s highly likely that once it starts to slip it will lock and keep slipping, with fixed the wheel cannot lock up (if your legs are still moving) so even if it slips it will regain grip quicker.

much prefer town riding in the winter as it feels a lot safer over manhole covers and in the wet on the fixed.

i wasn’t there so can’t really comment on your anecdote except if you “grab a handfull of front” on ice you are going down whatever you ride.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Where you are wrong is the fact that you can’t keep a constant braking force on the rear wheel throughout the revolution of the crank. When the crank is hoziontal you obvioulsy have much more braking force on the rear than when your cranks are vertical, thus for every revolution of the cranks the braking force is increasing and decreasing. Now, if you think about it, with my rim brake I can apply a constant braking force. Tell me, which one is more effective, I good constnant braking force or a constantly changing braking force?
    I’ll tell you what, next time it’s icy we’ll go and ride some frozen 25%’s and see how you get on.

MrSmith
    Free Member

a moot point considering that your brake will lock in an instant and stay locked long enough to end up on your arse no matter how carefully you try and modulate it.

i have no interest in riding with you, it would be like 2 bald men arguing over a comb and about as exciting.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘London cycling.’ is closed to new replies.