Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • logs across the trails at wyre forest.
  • mrbump
    Free Member

ive been to wyre forest twice this week and had to walk up the best single track sections to clear logs from across the trails .why do people do this? sections like ‘off camber’ are clearly not walking paths!

Epic
    Free Member

Yep, same occured on Fridays ride in the Wyre for me. Moved two logs from the bike trails just below the caravan park.

mrbump
    Free Member

i moved about 50 logs today! they could be dangerous if someone gets caught out.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mattsccm
    Free Member

Horse riders?
    Or some one who doesn’t want you there or wants to slow you down. That might be reasonable.

project
    Free Member

Same thing lsst weekend on the Verandah by llangwfan forest,but not in the forest quite a lot of old deadbranches, some not even by trees.

I blame the sheep.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

It’s been happening in the Forest for ages now. Some trails were particularly hard hit yesterday morning. I just rode over them though…

mrbump
    Free Member

wednesday night the trail that runs opposite off camber was covered all the way down so i clear those aswell.riding over them is ok but make the trails less fun and risk damage to the bike so i will continue to clear them if it happens again.

trout
    Free Member

stake out the trail SAS style and beat the culprit with his logs

Mounty_73

Its been going on for well over 12 months, the thing is my family & friends were walking their dogs in there a few weeks back, it was one of the walkers that tripped over…..

If its aimed at bikes, they just roll over them…however is doing it must have a lot of time on their hands……as they are wasting a lot of it and energy….

If the person responsible is reading this….may be you could pick up some of the litter and dog sh1t too whilst you are down there and really make your time productive…

MentalMickey
    Free Member

Happens over Cannock Chase a lot too, affectionately known locally by the riders as ‘stick man’, assuming it is a man, he seems to be hell bent on placing as many sticks and logs as he can on off piste trails.

He works hard at making sure it’s far more than just one or two, this line of logs can seemingly go on forever, you either have to remove them or treat them as a technical feature of the trail. I’ve been the Suki to his Polly on occasion, but every time Suki take it off again, Polly put’s it back on again, it’s a war I can’t win unless I’m prepared to hide out in the woods like Rambo and lay in wait for this fiend.

Why do they do it? It’s obvious, gives people with an agenda a reason to live. 😉

rOcKeTdOg

last time i was over there on a weekday two rangers landrovers pulled up beside me and a guy said he was the head ranger and that bikers weren’t welcome in the forest apart from on the sustrans route or the family way marked trail, so i’d look in that direction to aportion blame, the practice is too widespread for it to be walkers or horse riders, they wouldn’t cover so much ground or be arsed to do all the areas i wouldn’t think

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

Logging at my local haunt has left this…

And the trails that aren’t covered in logs have been destroyed by the log collecting machinery, going to be a long time before its really rideable again… 🙁

People that purposefully move logs on to the trail for no purpose other than to stop cyclists need catching and showing the sorts of accidents it can cause!

vikingboy
    Free Member

Don’t logs just cause the majority of riders to round round them causing further trail erosion?

grazedknees
    Free Member

round our way people pull up saplings and bend them across the trail. So who is causing more damage to the woods??

dawson

Yep, currently logging going on in my local spot (Clumber)- where there aren’t branches strewn about, the logging machines tracks are chewing up the ground.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Is there potential for turning them logs into part of the trail becky? A bit of dirt and some small logs and they could be rolled with a bit of momentum.

1) You keep the trail
    2) You wind whoever did it up even further

poly
    Free Member

dawson – Member
    Yep, currently logging going on in my local spot (Clumber)- where there aren’t branches strewn about, the logging machines tracks are chewing up the ground.

That’s ridiculous, landowners should not be harvesting the wood even if they have been growing it for the last X years. Before you know it people will be treating forestry like it is an industry.

globalti
    Free Member

Why not just buy an OS map and find somewhere else to ride? You’d be amazed at all the trails around your area – just look for the dashed green lines.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Why not just buy an OS map and find somewhere else to ride? You’d be amazed at all the trails around your area – just look for the dashed green lines.

You don’t need to look at a map to know that the Wyre Forest is home to the best mountain biking terrain in the local vIcinity.

Until someone somewhere at the FC turns around and says, you can’t ride off piste at the Wyre or you’ll get fined etc, i ‘ll be riding there.

All this, your not welcome, you shouldn’t really be here, putting logs down, is all a bit vague.

Gives the impression they can’t or won’t inforce anything, so are just trying their best to dissuade users.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

I appreciate that logging is different to other trail users putting logs in the way to purposefully block cyclists.

Not much can be done about the logging as they own the woods, and i think technically we’re only supposed to ride the big bridleways through the middle.

There is possibly some potential to incorporate the logs but I assume they’ll be collected soon so they can be sold which will mean the whole thing will be trashed anyway, like here…

they’ve done this at 5-10m intervals over a pretty big area of the woods.

definitely gong to have an explore with an OS map and see what else can be found locally!

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Buy a Chainsaw ?

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

There’s an ongoing local case… not just random debris, always in the same place – seemingly placed to cause most damage – man trap style.

Anyway…

I’ve heard the culprit is the local Publican/Owner of adjoining land who dislikes gangs of Mountain bikers tearing through his nicely gravelled car park to access the trail. The problem is, the trail has been there forever, long before he decided to spill his gastro pub business across it.

Anyway’s this is only speculation – the owner apparently denies any knowledge – but then he would, because by all accounts, he’s a proper Berkshire Hunt.

I was wondering what would happen if, God forbid, any biker did seriously hurt themselves there, but then it seems that “The Logging” has become common knowledge because it’s so blatant, so thankfully people are aware.

I’d love to catch the perpetrator red-handed, armed with a camera and mobile bee-line to the local newspaper.

Scamper
    Free Member

Don’t think Stick Man at Cannock has ever been caught in the act?

bent_udder
    Free Member

A little success with a local stick man to me. We’ve had a lot of branches and debris placed over trails on Pitch Hill in the past (North Downs). The branches and debris tended to be placed on a Wednesday morning – we noticed stuff would be clear on Tuesday night rides, but blocked come Wednesday mid morning. A friend came across someone he suspected of putting sticks across trails, and got in a conversation with him. The landowner for that bit of Pitch is part of Hurtwood Control, and we had been keeping the ranger and Hurtwood committee updated on this for a while. My friend asked very politely that the chap keep an eye out for people putting sticks across trails, as both the land manager (Hurtwood) and the police were very keen to talk to them, as they were acting very dangerously, and could cause harm to walkers and cyclists. Apparently the guy went quite bug-eyed at this point. Shortly after, the stick situation seemed to improve a great deal.

The long and short of this is that at least some stick men don’t realise that, by their actions, they are endangering others. They may also think that what they’re doing is right, and what cyclists are doing is wrong. Often this bears no relation to what the landowner thinks – they’re usually very concerned if someone is going out to try to injure people on their land.

Might I suggest you speak to the local Forestry Commission bods about access rights, and about possible sabotage? I’ve found in the past that, quite often, the FC people on the ground are not always consistent. For example, our local beat forester knows his onions, but the pest control bloke for the FC is quite ranty and gets stuff quite wrong. Very reassuring for someone who drives ’round the Surrey Hills with a rifle 😀

bullandbladder
    Free Member

@ Rocketdog – I remember going out with the ‘fast’ Weds night group from the Duke a couple of years ago – a guy who worked as a ranger in the forest came along (think his name was Colin). He seemed to know his way round the cheekiness pretty well.

Dunno why bikes are unwelcome – most of the best stuff is outside the 1-mile radius of the VC that most casual drop-ins are prepared to venture.

Also noticed a couple of places where large amounts of pine branches have been dumped across trail entrances (on a scale that suggests more pairs of hands than just a walker with a grudge).

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘logs across the trails at wyre forest.’ is closed to new replies.