Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Logistics of getting train to Lake District and riding – your suggestions please
  • Kit
    Free Member

Now that I have no car, I'm having to use the train if I want to get to any decent riding. Ridden round Ambleside area previously and loved it, so thinking of heading down to Windermere in a couple of weekends for some riding.

I can get a train from Edinburgh to Windermere on the Saturday, which gives me Saturday riding. Stay Saturday night in a B&B. Ride Sunday and catch a train back on Sunday evening.

Sounds great, but problem is thus: having checked out of the B&B on Sunday morning, I have nowhere to leave my overnight stuff. Currently this would be in a pannier on a quick release rack. I don't want to lump that around on a ride.

I don't want to stay another night (extra cost and holiday time) so is there somewhere I can leave stuff securely in Windermere?

Or are there any good large rucksacks to take overnight clothes and a camelback bladder and be generally decent for riding with? This may be an investment for further weekends away!

Any other ideas? Cheers.

crazy-legs

Ask to leave it at the B&B, most places are used to things like that, pick it up at end of the ride. Ambleside YH have a left luggage store as well.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Can't you just ask the B&B people to mind your stuff during the day ?

Have you got routes sorted ?

Kit
    Free Member

D'oh, yes the most obvious suggestion was the one I didn't think about!

On that note, any Windermere B&B recommendations?

Simon, not any specific routes sorted out yet. I guess obvious ones to me are getting the ferry over the lake and riding Claife and general area, and maybe Garburn Pass?

sofatester
    Free Member

Sat – Grizdale/Coniston
    Sun – Garburn/Haweswater

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Logistics of getting train to Lake District and riding – your suggestions please’ is closed to new replies.