Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Logic board help advice from smart people
  • BigEls
    Free Member

I have an old MacBook Pro 2011 and Apple ran diagnostics and said logic board failed.

They wanted £568 to put in a new one!

1. Is there a site which would give info for a maximum upgraded logic board without messing the machine up?

2. Is it worth buying a refurbished logic board to save money?

3. Buy a brand new upgraded logic board and fit and get a local computer repair shop to fit it or easy to fit myself?

Any help appreciated…

spacemonkey

Buy a secondhand MBP c 2013-2015 depending on the spec you require.

BigEls
    Free Member

Is there a site online which can tell you the maximum upgrade power without knackering the machine?

Would anyone go refurb or always new?

scrumfled
    Free Member

Apple are notorious for needing “New logic board” when it’s often just a failed connector.

You could use a local chap to diagnose/fix, potentially at a far cheaper price….I wouldnt do a logic board swap unless you’re ready to fix connectors/cables you might bugger up in the process.

Having said that, I replaced a 2013 macbook pro with a more recent macbook air, for about £450. It kicks the butt of that age of macbook pro, has a newer battery and its lighter.

If you’re addicted to the pro range, mid 2012 was the last “user upgradeable” version.

Pierre

What are the symptoms of the logic board problem? There’s a common issue with the graphics card overheating and crapping out, which causes the screen to dissolve into lines and stripes. It’s sort-of fixable, in that the MBP has two graphics chips and you can basically hard-wire the logic board to bypass one.

BigEls
    Free Member

When the lid closed in sleep it was taking ages to load and ask for my login password like I was turning on the laptop from off.
    Was using battery when sleeping (loads more) and opening the laptop and trying to press any key to wake back up.
    It got more temperamental and then the screen would not light up slough the machine was turned on.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Logic board help advice from smart people’ is closed to new replies.