• This topic has 22 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by ctk.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Log burner with no chimney..?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

We have slog burner in our current house and we love it, but We’re looking at a house (30s semi) that doesn’t have one and we’d like to put one in….. but in the pics it looks like the chimney breast has been removed. Would it still be possible to install some sort of flue? There’s obviously no fireplace either…..

dovebiker

Speak to a woodstove installer – you’ll need some sort of ‘hearth’ for the fire to sit on plus an insulated flue – I’ve seen similar in log cabins

higgo
    Free Member

Is there a chimney breast in the room above? And a chimney on the roof?

I’m no expert but, if there were, I don’t see why you couldn’t run a flue from the burner up through the ceiling and then through any existing chimney above.

Done well it could look good.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PeterPoddy
    Free Member

We’re viewing next week but from the pics it looks like the whole thing is gone.
    Gonna be a bodge job I reckon.

This house

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-64449425.html

nickc

burning slogs is really cruel. 😥

tjagain

Yes you can do this I am sure – either take it out thru an external wall or run an internal flue if its not going on an external wall. My folks did the internal flue with an aga – bonus is the flue gives of heat in the upstairs room it runs through

thegreatape
    Free Member

You can have twin wall the whole way through from stove to sky as long as you observe the space/material requirements around it, whatever they may be.

hooli
    PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Hooli, yes, but this is a semi detached so the fire isn’t against an external wall.

TJ, yes I see what you mean. I can only see a flue through a bedroom as looking very crap though. We had a boiler flue removed from our current house
    I guess you could construct a false chimney breast though?
    EDIT
    I guess that’s what greatape means?

I’ve just noticed the place is leasehold too… Bugger. Keep looking.

globalti
    Free Member

We have a twin-walled SS flue that goes from our kitchen straight up through the house and emerges from the roof so yes, anything is possible.

hooli

The twinwall can be boxed in and go through the roof too, obviously it takes a bit of space from a room above and may not look great but gives you options.

typer
    Free Member

As others have said, yeah you can. Here’s ours, the twin wall flue goes straight through the bedroom above and through the roof. Flue does get pretty hot in the upstairs bedroom so we will be getting it boxed in at some point.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Do you remember the huge flue we had on the house in Hockerton for the Rayburn? They are very chunky!!!

I’ll always remember Dad showing me it before mum came home, adding “I wasn’t expecting it to be that big”, pointing to what appeared to be a fairly good reproduction of Saturn 5 strapped to the side of the house. 😀

newrobdob
    Free Member

Lots of houses up north are leasehold, but not those dodgy ones they do nowadays. My leasehold I think has 887 years left and its costs £2.50 a year.

rossburton
    Free Member

My inlaws have done this, flue like typher’s photo in the living room and then it goes through the wardrobe in the spare room.

DrP

You can just shoot a flue (single or twin, as above) up to the ceiling and through the floor..but your issue will be in the room above..
    IIRC you need to have any flue boxed in..your best bet will be to have twin wall as it only needs 60mm air space either side.
    If the twin wall flue in the room above is near a wall, then just make a stud box to box it in…

In the loft space you can leave it as it’s not a habitable room… Then poke it out the roof.

Obviously you’ll have the burner on a hearth…

DrP

shuhockey
    Free Member

Looks like chimney top is there, so it will mean going in the attic and seeing where it goes. In our last house it was only in the attic and supported on a couple of blanks!
    Get the self to Greenhill much better! Plus they are building a new retail park just the other-side of the ring road there.

willard

Hmmmm. That might be a solution for a log burner in my lounge… I have a fake chimney pot on the roof, so may be able to put something up through that.

Nice house that PP. Looks pretty spacious. Garden could do with some attention though.

NZCol

We looked into this recently, wood burner in lounge downstairs, up through bedroom directly above, twin wall boxed in, into attic then routed into existing chimney. Cost was about £7.5k from memory – excluding the fire itself !

davidr

We had an internal flue when I was a kid. Made the bathroom upstairs toasty and a great place to dry clothes!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Nice house that PP. Looks pretty spacious. Garden could do with some attention though.

The gits sold it the day before we were driving up to view. Arse.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Get the self to Greenhill much better!

Yes, I’d prefer Greenhill or Beauchief to be fair. There’s bugger all on the market right now though…. Well, bugger all we can move to without still having a mortgage, shall we say. 🙂

ctk
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother in that house. A shed down the end of the garden with one would be a winner though.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Log burner with no chimney..?’ is closed to new replies.