Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Loft Insulation – Any advice/recommendations?
  • dooosuk
    Free Member

Following on from a stonking gas bill for the first month of ownership I removed the neatly boarded out loft walls to take a peek behind to see how much insulation we had in our old 1911 terrace.

Here’s what I found:

Not much insulation from what I’ve seen at first look. There appears to be a load of dust/dirt about 3 – 4cm deep between the joists and some scraps of rock wool tossed about a bit. Not sure what the dust/dirt is but didn’t disturb it too much as didn’t have a mask.

From a quick google and look on the energysavingtrust website, it seems it’s standard these days to lay around 270mm of lost insulation. The packs seem to be mainly sold in 100mm or 200mm though at B&Q & Wickes. Assuming I double up and layer them perpendicular?

Any recommendations of places to buy from? Screwfix & Toolstation don’t seem to carry much of it.

Edit: Also need to investigate the hole that appears to go through to next door.

meehaja
    Free Member

shop around, lots of deals to be had.

My roof was a similar state so I did the “floor” of the loft space with 300mm (put 200 over rockwool already there). I also stapled refelctive insulation bubble wrap stuff to the rafters and put 100mm of recycled plastic insulation roll between that and the tiles. Make sure there is air gaps, don’t cover light fittings, get a mask and goggles and be prepared for some dirty work!

nickjb
    Free Member

I found the best thing to do was visit all the sheds (B&Q, Wickes, etc) and one of them will have something on special. I think it was buy 1 get 3 free when I got mine. Obviously don’t take these offers at face value, double check the prices. I think my 4 for 1 offer worked out at well under half price. Clean out all the rubbish first and make sure it is properly ventilated

Edukator
    Free Member

If you have the money to pay the extra cost of recycled polyester it’s a lot more pleasant to work with and means the air quality in the loft will be better whenever you go up there.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Money tight’ish…baby due in 16 days so will be doing all the dirty work or cleaning it out this weekend with the mrs well out the way.

I think first phase will be floor only. Rafters will be a nice addition later in the year maybe.

dooosuk
    Free Member

So regarding layers, does it matter which is the bottom layer?

On further investigation at the front of the house last night, there’s already 100mm above one bedroom (photo’s above show rear of house). Am I best to remove the 100mm, lay 200mm as the first layer and then relay the 100mm on top? Or does it not make the slightest bit of difference?

scuttler

Do you plan to lay boards/storage? If so you might want either

1. a layer of 100mm fluffy stuff between the joists and then lay some rigid insulation (Kingspan/Celotex/Knauff) with standard boards on the top. This rigid layer is less than 170, usually around 100mm for the same effectiveness

OR

2. Raise the height of the joists using plastic or metal adapters that you can get from the DIY sheds. That way you can lay 270mm and still have something to put boards on

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Kingspan and/or thermawrap.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Most of the roof space won’t be boarded out, so will just be fluffy stuff across fluffy stuff 🙂

One area is currently boarded out and I need to see what’s under there. I think it’s already raised somewhat as I’ve got these strange extra joists coming off the front wall of the house and under the boarding:

It’s almost like the previous owners made it look like they’d done a good job by laying boards and plaster boarding the sides and rafters to encapsulate an area but have then left the rest undone. Very odd.

freeagent
    Free Member

100mm between the joists, then go accross with either another 100mm or 200mm, which seems to be the norm.

Buy whatever is on offer from the DIY sheds. I got a transit van full of it for £27 a couple of years back as one of the energy companies was subsidising it down to £2.70 for a huge pack.

cheers_drive

I got the large loft of a 1930’s semi insulate for £100 fitted from a energy saving deal via NPower. They even took out all the old boards.
    I’ve done a much smaller loft myself, it’s not hard but it’s not nice work so would look for a fitted deal if I needed to do it again.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Unfortunately all the subsidies etc. have finished by the looks of it.

Got a mate helping me Saturday, we don’t mind getting dirty and know it won’t be the most pleasant of days.

Cougar
    dooosuk
    Free Member

Sadly not on benefits and don’t live within one of the eligible postcodes. I’m resigned to the fact that I’m paying because the previous owners didn’t take up the free option last year.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Loft Insulation – Any advice/recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.