Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Loco Tuning / J Tech Racing – any experiences / feedback welcomed.
  • mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure that my DHX Air needs a service as its a bit noisey.

TFT don’t touch them, which leaves me a choice of Mojo (mega money in my eyes) or other non-affiliated companies like Loco and J Tech.

Has anyone used the latter two – if so any comments regarding experience etc would be helpful.

Thanks

z1ppy

I’ve used J-tech and have nothing but good things to say about James service, doesn’t have the following on here (or web presence) that Si @ Loco does. I tried James out, as Si had a back log (dealt with him for parts, very helpful), and as with these thing I wanted it done now. Thats not a complaint about Loco (shirely more a compliment), just PPP on our part.

deus

Can you not DIY it?

plenty of info out there, from the simple aircan to the more complicated take it to peices level, there’s youtube videos on how to service the aircan too. MTBR forum has all the info.

I’m just about to take of the outer aircan and half the volume of it by putting a bit of rubber/plastic in it, i’ll probably do the regular aircan at the same time, it’s a 10 minute job to remove from frame, let pressure out, unscrew by hand (or rubber ratchet strap), clean, replace the seals (if you want or just regrease) and then put back together again.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I did look, but it’s on a Spech SX Trail so has had the boost valve removed and all of the guides I found said don’t touch these ones at home because of nitrogen.

deus

You’ll still be able to do the aircan service as it doesn’t require you to remove the pressure from the boost valve.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y559NNs2pOk[/video]

mrhoppy

I’ve just had my forks and shock done by James, I’ve not got out on them yet to see what the shim adjustments on the rear have done but the whole process was hassle free and good value. Helps he’s just down the road too.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Loco did a cracking job on my RP3, the difference it made was night and day.

continuity
    Free Member

Shocks are really pretty easy to service for anyone even slightly technically minded; and a rear air shock especially so.

However, I have used J-Tech before and had an excellent experience, and Loco is often on here and has kindly answered techy questions for me for free.

I would send it off if you want it tuned and serviced and you don’t have the time. Either is good, just whoever has the free workshop time.

mangoridebike

I’ve not used J-Tech but LoCo did a great job in the two sets of forks I needed to have serviced. Quick turnaround and good communication.

I would use LoCo again

mindmap3
    Free Member

Deus – didn’t realise that the seals service was so easy.

My concern is that it needs more doing to it than that because its squelching and making other noises under compression so may need additional work. It may not of course.

Will have a chat with LoCo and J Tech, sus them out and see what they think, recommend and how quickly it can be turned round.

Konastoner
    Free Member

Mindmap3 if your a dab hand with the spanners then here you go: –

DHX Air Rebuild

I’ve done it a few times on the DHX Air 5 and it works well.

danjthomas
    Free Member

Loco is great and very helpful.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Si @ Loco +1 – totally transformed some very bad from new Float RLs and I’ve had a few friends use him with no complaints either. If it matters, he’s a bloody stand-up guy too!

mindmap3
    Free Member

Having spoken to them both, the issue appears to be nitrogen and oil mixing together (hence the squelching).

As it is more than just seals, I have wussed out and booked it in with J Tech because they had an earlier booking slot. I didn’t want to miss too much riding because the damping is likely to be a bit suspect due these two mixing.

However, the stuff regarding changing the seals has been bookmarked for future reference. The seals are peanuts from Mojo, so there is no reason not to keep on top of the main ones.

Cheers for you help

robhughes
    Free Member

Si at Loco has custom tunned a dhx5 coil and a rp2 for two of my bikes.
    Strange voodoo magic was performed resulting in two very much improved shocks.Would,nt go anywhere else.
    The witch doctor of suspension. 😉

kayak23

Bought a mount kit from J-Tech. Very helpful bloke and very friendly. Top buzz.

Konastoner
    Free Member

Mindmap3 the DHX Air 5 does not have a nitrogen filled damping unit, the rebound and compression circuits are both linked and pressurised through the valve on the piggy back.

Only the R/RP units have Nitro.

elaineanne
    Free Member

Yea sent my fox forks off to loco once…quick turn around, and my son had a bigger job done on his forks…did a very good job…only one thing…he forgot to replace the o ring on my forks…doh…

stumpyjag
    Free Member

I cannot reccomend James at J Tech highly enough. Have had both fork and shock serviced by him and set to my weight and riding style both now perform excellently. His advice is allways unbiased and informed even if he’s not selling you anything. Top bloke.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Mindmap3 the DHX Air 5 does not have a nitrogen filled damping unit, the rebound and compression circuits are both linked and pressurised through the valve on the piggy back.

Only the R/RP units have Nitro.

Ummm my SX Trail had a one off for specialized….. nitrogen filled DHX5….they had the air valve removed because it interfered with the frame.

saxabar
    Free Member

If you go for Loco check turnaround time as my fork took some time to get back to me. All else fine.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Ummm my SX Trail had a one off for specialized….. nitrogen filled DHX5….they had the air valve removed because it interfered with the frame.

I thought that was the case – there isn’t enough room for the boost valve, hence it was removed (so, its not really a DHX 5….).

Thanks for your help – the shock will be with J Tech next week for some TLC (Loco didn’t have a free spt until the second week of June – although Simon did say that he was taking on more staff to reduce timescales). Both were super helpful with all of my silly questions.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Loco Tuning / J Tech Racing – any experiences / feedback welcomed.’ is closed to new replies.