Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Locking bikes in garden…
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Hi,

Looking to keep the bikes in the garden. They will be covered on the house contents insurance, but want to sort out some locks for peace of mind too. Renting the property which limits options around shed/ground anchor etc.

Commuter bikes I’d like to lock up next to a wooden fence post. Thinking of screwing one of these wall anchors where the screws are covered when lock is in place (need to check landlord is cool with this…) (https://www.toolstation.com/sterling-wall-shed-anchor/p64819?store=GA&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=CjwKCAjw2Jb7BRBHEiwAXTR4jZhK_Bb3OeglmAMAOuu-k3nmmTnWKKvh8XrEKJOQ-cMc6Lyu4xcbcBoCRSAQAvD_BwE)
    And then use a chunky padlock (recommendations?) And a standard Kryptonite cable flex thing through the bikes.

MTBs I’d like to lock to a wooden balcony post, with a big chunky motorbike lock (eg https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/55990?gclid=CjwKCAjw-5v7BRAmEiwAJ3DpuMKSmQfxJ4DF_OrOICEPYu5viIdKL1Hjq6YoZxB2nmEiWj5O-QevURoC4GYQAvD_BwE)

And then double bike covers over both to keep them vaguely inconspicuous, and out the rain – something like:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/slredirect/picassoRedirect.html/ref=pa_sp_atf_aps_sr_pg1_1?ie=UTF8&adId=A04554112J9U38DLEBXYI&url=%2FBeeway%25C2%25AE-Waterproof-Protection-Mountain-Lock-holes%2Fdp%2FB01N1VZGLQ%2Fref%3Dsr_1_3_sspa%3Fdchild%3D1%26keywords%3Dbike%2Bcover%26qid%3D1600626722%26sr%3D8-3-spons%26psc%3D1&qualifier=1600626722&id=7887245125991880&widgetName=sp_atf

Any thoughts on all the above (other than get a shed/keep them inside etc), recommendations for better items etc.

Thanks,
    Duane.

jaylittle
    Free Member

I’d double check that they are insured if you store them outdoors. Some insurance companies require specific locks to be used.

mcnultycop

As above I’d check the insurance actually covers it.

I know you don’t want a shed suggesting because you are renting, but an Asgard could work as you can break them down to their constituent parts if you move.

TheBrick
    Free Member

If the garden is not a patio you could still do a ground anchor, if the land lord is insistent just dig it out when done.

towzer

Sorry it’s a shed , but presumably you know about Asgard metal sheds, bike sized.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I did this in my first flat .

Predictably despite an enclosed garden with no through passage and no overlooking houses with only one way in or out and 15 ft high walls all round….

A bike was stolen.

Tbh shocked I wasn’t.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

As above, Asgard. That’s what I had when renting. And of course TyreO’crete (TM).
    The Asguard was purely cosmetic, but nobody was moving the TyreO’crete with two bikes locked to it. Ever.

One of the removal men lifted our washing machine and tumble drier down the stairs singkehandedly, but could barely shuffle a few yards with the TyreO’crete. With two bikes attached it was effectively stationery.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Actually bollocks to what I’ve said above. Unless the bikes are shit, don’t leave them outside, whatever the lockage. They will get nicked. Or sawn to pieces and nicked.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Tyreocrete

crikey
    Free Member

Just put them in your house, it’s simple.

uniqueusername

I’ve installed ground anchors in two rented properties, concreted in underground ones not bolted down, probably to this day they are still under the block paving/slabs respectively.

I did bucket’o’concrete (bit of drain pipe through for chain) in the current shed until I got anchors to bolt to the wall.

And I use hefty chains not flexy cable.

uniqueusername

Oh, with a trimetals shed over them. That did get disassembled and moved several times.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Locking bikes in garden…’ is closed to new replies.