Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • Lockerbie bomber release.
  • Spongebob
    Free Member

Now the murdering bxstxrd is a national hero now he is back in his home country! FFS! How insensitive is that? Assuming he is innocent as he proclaims, wouldn't he return home quietly and not court public adulation? Disgusting!

Assuming he's guilty and justice was served, why should he be released?

Several thousand people had their lives permanently ripped apart thanks to him! Do you know what it is like to suddenly loose a loved one? Add the fact that your loved one's demise was due to some futile medieval dispute and forgiveness becomes unthinkable! The victims died in vein. True compassion would have been the death sentence for the bomber! Compassion for his victims, the one's still living who will hurt for the rest of their lives. Compassion for them!

We released him because we believe in justice and a civilised way of life. I see why people accept this thinking, however why should those who ignore the rights of others be pardoned, even if they are dieing??

I understand the thinking of these ideals of justice and compassion, but the way the criminals see it is that we are soft as shxte! They know they will be let off the hook – there is no deterrent. The thinking is therefore flawed IMHO and the reality is that many criminals just don't have the mental capacity to understand it. It's laws which are in effect disrespectful to the victims and those who do toe the line. It's laws which tolerate barbarity. This is patently wrong. Naive liberal idealism rearing it's fluffy head again! Damn the idealistic liberal thinkers! They are like a thought police in continually trying to influence how we think, but they are out of touch with normal people and damned arrogant towards us all!

This is an international diplomatic disaster for Scotland! I'm pleased it wasn't the UK government's responsibility so the UK doesn't get the blame. Perhaps other countries like America will begin to understand how divisive this stupid devolution thing is. If it had been a UK descision, i'm sure many Scotish people would be banging on about the colonization of their country by the British etc. You know, lots of anti-British, anti-English sentiment. Well it wouldn't have made any difference if it had been the UK parliament because the UK governemnt cabinet are mostly Scotish anyway. Well all the parties have a disproportional Scotish representation actually.

For the Lockerbie bomber, his insensitive behaviour when getting off the plane in Tripoli says it all to me; guilty! Three months is too long! His suffering will never be enough.

My thoughts are with the victims and their families!

porterclough
    Free Member

Spongebob – noone has been pardoned, he's been let out on compassionate leave to go home to die. If you show compassion to someone who themselves did not show it, it is not weakness, it is strength.

I may be wrong about the exact nature of the legal situation but it seems like, being in Scotland the UK Home Office can't interfere with normal legal processes to suit political ends – if so then that's good.

On the other hand, it does all seem like a good way to get a little embarrasment now rather than what might come out in his appeal. The guy didn't do the bombing alone, it was most likely the work of Libyan security forces, and we're trying to cosy up to Libya these days.

birky
    Free Member

Now the murdering bxstxrd is a national hero now he is back in his home country! FFS! How insensitive is that? Assuming he is innocent as he proclaims, wouldn't he return home quietly and not court public adulation?

He's not in a position to control how others react to his release.

My thoughts are with the victims and their families!

Jim Swire, whose daughter was on the flight, seems convinced al-Megrahi is innocent …
    http://www.firmmagazine.com/features/592/The_Fallout_From_Lockerbie_-_by_Jim_Swire.html

Fresh Goods Friday 698 - The Boom Box Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 698 - The Boom B...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    coffeeking
    Free Member

If you show compassion to someone who themselves did not show it, it is not weakness, it is strength.

Thats your opinion. Shows stupidity and insensitivity to me.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Well it wouldn't have made any difference if it had been the UK parliament because the UK governemnt cabinet are mostly Scotish anyway.

Well I've only managed to find 4 out of the 24 Cabinet ministers that are Scottish.

Well all the parties have a disproportional Scotish representation actually.

I doubt that the Conservative party has a disproportionatly large scottish representtion, quite the opposite I would have thought. It's also worthy of note that there has never once been a situation where the government of the UK did not have an overall majority in England.

Still one shouldn't let things like easily checked facts get in the way of a good rant.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

If you show compassion to someone who themselves did not show it, it is not weakness, it is strength.

yeah, that Jesus bloke was a right wimp 🙁

crispy
    Free Member

VinneyH, that still makes me fume. And all the more so because the rest of the world seems to be totally oblivious to it.

D0NK

He dismissed claims that the Government had sought to boost Britain's diplomatic and commercial ties with Libya while retaining the moral high ground by not endorsing al-Megrahi's release. 'That's a slur both on myself and on the Government,'

(Milliband from the daily mail link)

Slur maybe but spot on I'd guess. My cynical head says that's exactly what happened, someone in the government put pressure on scotland and gave Obama a call to check he was unofficially OK with it too. Admittedly SNP may well have come to same decision on it's own anyway.

The right decision I feel but I think there should be political repercussions for any official "celebrations" and gaddafis son being there and hugging the man on camera looks pretty damn official to me.

enfht
    Free Member

Oh yeah well done Scotland 🙄

enfht
    Free Member

enfht
    Free Member

enfht
    Free Member

enfht
    Free Member

The four posts were not intentional, this website is fecked.

Roll on Scottish independance. Who actually believed he WOULDN'T be welcomed back as a hero?

Maybe the Yanks will loose the warm fluffy feeling they have towards the "oppressed" Scots in the same way they finally woke up to the IRA after 9/11.

GrahamS

We released him because we believe in justice and a civilised way of life. I see why people accept this thinking, however why should those who ignore the rights of others be pardoned, even if they are dieing??

Because you have to rise above, otherwise justice becomes simply about spiteful revenge and is little more than a sanctioned lynch mob.

If we truly allowed ourselves to sink to the levels of those who commit crimes against us then we'd have put his family on-board a Libyan airliner and blown it up. And right now we'd have British soldiers beheading captured al-qaeda members live on Al Jazeera.

Personally I'm quite proud of what we did here.
    We have acted with conscience and compassion.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Because you have to rise above, otherwise justice becomes simply about spiteful revenge and is little more than a sanctioned lynch mob.

Justice is little more than that anyway? All the prison system is there for is to remove the threat to the public and provide a punishment for your crime. The justice system is there to determine whether you're guilty or not, fairly, and if you are then you go to prison to serve your punishment. At no point should the punishment be lessened just because someone is ill. Keeping someone inside, fed and watered, until they die or finish their sentence IS rising above their actions and being fair on all parties, keeping the public safe. Releasing them early is an insult. A mistake under the guise of "the right thing to do". The right thing to do was chosen in the first place. The bomber took their chance and paid for it, if he dies in prison that's part of his choice in the first place.

AndyP
    Free Member

Spongebob – your sense of humanity is FAIL

chewkw
    Free Member

Will it be a case of …Quick recovery ?

GrahamS

Words I'd like to be associated with:
    humanity, compassion, justice, mercy

Words I'd rather not be associated with:
    anger, spite, vengeful, vindictive, cruel

You may see the latter set as stronger, I do not.

There is a pretty clear difference to me between punishment and revenge. If a man is given a life sentence and that life turns out to be short then I do not think he has escaped justice.

project
    Free Member

Well i know of a poor care home in N*** w*****,run as a money grabbing buisness,with a management who didnt care, that had numerous complaints agianst it,where somebody stole residents money, where the management said they hadnt,where the 3 local homes they owned, over a period of a few years,a resident died after drinking caustic soda, another fell from his wheelchair, and lay undetected for an hour, and died, and another fell from an upstairs window and died.Another chap suffered a broken leg and was REFUSED medical treatment for 14 hours,even though he was registered blind and suffered from terminal Prostate Cancer.

This is where the Libyan Bomber should have gone,there where plenty of empty beds,where all they cared about was the paymnets each week of up to 500 pounds plus per resident.
    Where food was served cold, and of poor quality,the list goes on, this is where he should have spent his last days.

My dad did,and lived to tell the tale, until he was moved to a better home with better management.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Save compassion, respect and mercy for people who understand it. Oh! And along with self respect following that man's triumphalist return.

Compassion and respect for our own people first thanks very much.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>This is an international diplomatic disaster for Scotland<

Actually – it's barely news in the USA…

A less hysterical analysis of the fallout from this here:

http://www.lockerbiecase.blogspot.com/

GrahamS

project: That sounds truly awful. Your father was subject to criminal neglect. I don't think that means we should treat our prisoners in the same way.

tankslapper: and how can you hope to teach "compassion, respect and mercy" to those that don't "understand it" if you are unwilling to show them it?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I think Scotland comes out well out of this release. compassion and new testament "turn the other cheek" Rather than vengeance and " and eye for an eye" in an old testamentarian fashion.

Lardy_biker
    Free Member

So.

When Peter sutcliffe is dying of cancer he will be released on "compassionate" grounds.

What a crock this is. The guy was found guilty of a crime. Make him serve the sentence. Same goes for biggs. Only came back because he needed the health service. Should have left him out in Brazil.

Apologies for my non liberal views and poor spelling.

enfht
    Free Member

I think Scotland comes out well out of this release

😳

[

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Apologies for my non liberal views and poor spelling.

Ah I see ………. you expect forgiveness and understanding from others do you ?

GrahamS

When Peter sutcliffe is dying of cancer he will be released on "compassionate" grounds.

Unlikely since he is being held in a psychiatric hospital, not a prison, and he is not in Scotland therefore not covered by the Prisoners and Criminal Proceedings (Scotland) Act.

But yes, the act apparently grants Scottish Ministers the power to release any prisoner on compassionate grounds when they are terminally ill and close to death.

GrahamS

enfht: yeah you're right – Megrahi looks like he is larging it up and just laughing at us all. Clearly fit as a fiddle.

Oh no. My mistake. Actually he looks a lot like a dying man struggling to walk down steps despite a cane and assistance.

druidh
    Free Member

Can I just say – and in follow up to another recent thread – how proud I am of my country today.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

.whereas I, for the first time in my life, am completely ashamed of mine.

In Scotland, we have some simple, straightforward and easy to understand phrases – "don't want to do the time? don't do the crime" is one

Like the Iraq invasion releasing Meghrahi was just about oil and pretending anything else is simply an insult. Libya has oil it wants to start exploiting, we have expertise, and not much oil left. Doesn't take a **** genius to work it out, does it?

enfht
    Free Member

GrahamS the dude on the left is Gadaffi's son raising his fist in victory.

colnagokid

The guy will be dead before the STW massive have stopped argueing about what tyres for the BBB!
    I lost my dad to prostate cancer, and believe me he hasn't got an easy way out.
    And do you REALLY believe he did the bombing singlehandly?

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

No, and I'd like to see those who were involved brought to some kind of justice. That'll never happen now, will it?

Lanesra
    Free Member

Anokdale, send us an email (mail address is in my profile) I come to Tripoli at least once a month for various NOC/Local business

And Al-Meghari/Libya never did it

iDave
    Free Member

I wonder if similar treatment would be given to the people who are known to have shot down the Iranian airliner killing 230+? Oh yeah, I forgot, they weren't put on trial let alone sentenced. They may even have been given a medal or two. Their govt (US) didn't apologise or pay compensation. Unlike the Libyans.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

"don't want to do the time? don't do the crime"

He's done the time, and now he's going home to die.

Or do you think we should keep his corpse in prison until it's served it's 27 years ?

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

No, when he dies, he either goes into a pauper's grave, or someone pays to ship the box home. Just like anyone else who dies in jail.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Just like anyone else who dies in jail.

Not in Britain. Terminally people are generally sent home to die, but if someone was to die suddenly in prison, why would they be buried in a 'pauper's grave' ?

Have you arrived from the Victorian age in a time machine or something ? 😕

GrahamS

GrahamS the dude on the left is Gadaffi's son raising his fist in victory.

yes and I think any "Hero's Welcome" for him is in very poor taste, not to mention deeply insensitive (on a diplomatic and personal level). But that doesn't change the fact that I believe we did absolutely the right thing in letting him go home to die.

Lanesra
    Free Member

Why is it insensitive? The Libyans (i.e. the whole country) were set up and suffered for years, now America and Britain are in a desperate scramble for Oil, why shouldn't they thumb there nose at the west and make us/them suffer?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Lockerbie bomber release.’ is closed to new replies.