• This topic has 25 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by ctk.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Lockdown, should everyone be encuraged to not do any gardening or diy?
  • Hopk1ns
    Free Member

A quick scan of NHS stats for last year shows, (although figures vary)

8600 admissions for lawnmowers
    4800 for drills and other powertools
    6200 from from ladders

I should imagine with everyone on lockdown this could be sky rocketing with no media attention. Every year the nhs issues a press release at Easter asking people to take it easy, to reduce pressure on nhs.

As for spreading the virus, any admission to a & e is a risk because of the location.

So take extra precautions when doing any physical activity at home, or mayb, dont do it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

IIRC over 600 people die every year in England and Wales every year falling down stairs.

Yours, bungalow bill.

Simon

I didn’t die but I once broke a bone in my hand going up the stairs at home😮

Trimix
    Free Member

Perhaps you should just stay in bed, but not online. Even the internet could give you a heart attack what with all the daft idiots on it.

BruceWee

I, for one, haven’t showered since the lockdown began given the number of bathroom accidents each year. Surely that gives me enough safety points to put up some shelves.

kimbers

Trimix
    Subscriber
    Perhaps you should just stay in bed

ahem

https://www.mirror.co.uk/science/fifth-men-injured-themselves-masturbating-18946175

tomhoward

Seems like my stepdad is actively trying to do all the dangerous stuff now. Last weekend he was up a ladder, trying to remove and dispose of asbestos from the garage. The garage that has been there since they moved in. 20 years ago.

breadcrumb

On a personal note, sack that!

I’ve been furloughed, the garden is a constant battle and drain on my time so bring able to get stuck in and finally get on top of it is keeping me going for now. If I get the garden manageable that frees up time to enjoy with the family and escaping to ride bikes obvz.

matt_outandabout

A quick scan of NHS stats for last year shows

… Huge mental health issues, obesity leading to premature death (etc).

While we ‘save’ an accident today, we store up issues for the future that I think will outweigh the current one we face.
    My garden and local walks, bikes and run is what is keeping myself and mrs_oab from really piling on weight or worsening our mental health as we fear getting this virus.

reluctantjumper

I wish I could do some gardening and DIY!! As I live in a rented flat I can’t, but I was starting to sort out my parent’s garden the weekend before the lockdown. Cleared the bottom section, 20ft X 40ft, of weeds, rocks and brambles that were like trees. Then treated it all with weedkiller. Should have gone back the next weekend to re-treat it all and finish levelling the soil ready for putting down a membrane and digging out foundations for a new wall and fence but not able to now. Guarantee that with all this lovely sunshine I’ll pretty much be back to square one by the time I can go there next.

At least I won’t be a DIY statistic, although I’m sure I can find a way to fall off the turbo trainer 😝

tjagain

Trimix
    Subscriber
    Perhaps you should just stay in bed

Stuff that – most people die in bed!

I have not been out of my armchair since all this kerfuffle started

edhornby

Those stats say do gardening using hand tools, the councils aren’t collecting the brown bins so let the grass grow

Northwind

I was thinking of getting a new welder and seeing if I can build myself an exhaust. It’s probably not the ideal time though, considering I’ve set myself on fire a few times in the past.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

tjagain

I have not been out of my armchair since all this kerfuffle started

explains a lot tbh....

oldtennisshoes

I have plans to add 6 sockets to a circuit in the garage tomorrow.
    IANAE

New petrol mower due midweek 🥴

theotherjonv

@reluctantjumper

How far away is your parents?

My Dad’s garden is his pride and joy, always has been, and it’s now the only place he and mum can get out to – he’s in his eighties and she’s underlying issues and 78.

He can’t maintain his garden any more, he does some potting and planting but grass cutting and heavier pruning stuff he has a gardener for and he’s still coming round. There’s no contact, he brings his own tools and comes round the side gate so while there is still possibly the chance he could have it, breath into the air that goes onto the patio furniture and they get it that way but I reckon that’s minimal. If all they can do is sit in their garden, I want it to be a nice place for them to sit.

Could you go round and do the same? I guess you don’t have tools, they’ll be in your Dad’s shed but you can glove up and sanitise handles after if you need to?  They might even ‘supervise’ like my Dad does – I think Terry doesn’t mind being told how to do his job by an Octagenarian foreman, he keeps coming back.

anagallis_arvensis

Dont eat cheese either

null

qwerty
    Free Member

I, for one, haven’t showered since the lockdown began

#howtoensureselfdistancing

kerley
    Free Member

He can’t maintain his garden any more, he does some potting and planting but grass cutting and heavier pruning stuff he has a gardener for and he’s still coming round. There’s no contact, he brings his own tools and comes round the side gate so while there is still possibly the chance he could have it, breath into the air that goes onto the patio furniture and they get it that way but I reckon that’s minimal. If all they can do is sit in their garden, I want it to be a nice place for them to sit.

To be absolutely safe just leave it a few days before they go into garden after gardener has been.

reluctantjumper

@theotherjonv – it’s 40 miles away and there are very few tools as they were flooded out back in February so no power either. Doing an 80 mile round trip right now is definitely not the right thing to do even if they’re not living there. Will just have to see what state it’s in when the lockdown ends.

vintagewino
    Free Member

PSA: they had chainsaws in Aldi when I was there on Friday.

footflaps

I’ve been digging drainage trenches and a soak away during the lock down. I do an hour a night to get my daily exercise quota according to my Polar watch.

colp

6200 from from ladders

I think the government need to take steps

hels
    Free Member

I fell off a turbo trainer once. In my defense, I had pins sticking out of my hand so hadn’t tightened it properly. And was off my face on pain killers. But it is possible!

funkmasterp

I’m learning fire eating and chainsaw juggling from YouTube. No stats for deaths I can find* so clearly safer than taking a shower, gardening or using stairs.

*not actually looked

ctk
    Free Member

Can’t believe more lawn mower than ladder accidents! Been gardening, bought a load of wall mounted planters to grow stuff out of the dogs weeing/ eating range. More the eating tbh he’ll eat anything – Mrs noticed him eating buds off a magnolia the other day ffs!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Lockdown, should everyone be encuraged to not do any gardening or diy?’ is closed to new replies.