Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Lockdown: Sam Pilgrim Style
  • sirromj

drew

Loved it! Thanks for posting.

tomhoward

Is it me that’s old and boring, or is it a bit irresponsible encouraging kids (I assume the target market) to send it, whilst in the current situation?

sirromj

I think all the kids on STW are old enough to know better 😉

tomhoward

I think all the kids on STW are old enough to know better

They probably are, but we’ve all seen the you’ve been framed vids of some kid using his roof as a run in shortly before his face hits the patio, or the various fail videos on pb and gmbn. Normally I’d say pile on, but in the current situation I’d expect go pro to be a little more aware of what they were asking. Even Sam admits some of the stuff he was doing was sketchy, and comes off a couple of times.

I wouldn’t even mind if it was a ‘this is what I’ve been up to, but I’m a pro, don’t try this yourselves’ type thing, it’s the active encouragement to go and try big stuff to try and win, so long as you don’t leave the grounds of your house.

LAT

I don’t think Sam Pilgrim does responsible, does he? Great skills, but pleased he doesn’t live next door to me.

argee

It’s a bit of fun, he’s well within his ability with this stuff and anyone who has the ability and means to replicate this type of thing will be doing it off their own back.

In the current situation i would be more worried about the people in lockdown who have suddenly become DIY and garden enthusiasts, tasks that they’ve delayed for a long time due to a lack of knowledge or ability are now being done!

JAG

Yeah – he’s an attention-seeking tool…

I am also glad he doesn’t live anywhere near me. Sorry Sam :o)

tomhoward

It’s a bit of fun, he’s well within his ability with this stuff and anyone who has the ability and means to replicate this type of thing will be doing it off their own back.

It’s not him hurting himself I’m bothered about, he’s a pro (although injuries still happen) It’s the kids that don’t have his skills, in bike riding or ramp building, taking fully unnecessary risks to try and win a go pro. The fact it’s Sam in the video isn’t the issue, it’s that a company is encouraging kids/people to take risks they wouldn’t normally take, with an incentive for doing so.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

It’s a bit of fun, he’s well within his ability with this stuff

So why did he fall off ?

yetidave
    Free Member

cause he is a little crazy and didn’t really think/plan the whole thing through before starting.

nedrapier

attention-seeking

That is literally his job.

lightfighter762
    Free Member

I have a DH line out back that folks are still riding and building on. Some bits there is no room for error. Their houses are about 100 ft away from the pushup. What to do.

Trimix
    Free Member

Kids will do daft things whatever you say to them.

Just think back to when you were a kid. 60 % of my young life was spent narrowly escaping some massive injury due to being daft. The other 40% was spent hiding an injury from my mother.

Most of us learn propelry by learning the hard way.

I also dont think the internet is that much of an influence. We never had YouTube to show us how to do daft things, we just used our imagination and taught ourselves. There is some value in that.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Moronic. The whole tone of this is Sam and GoPro having a “campaign” to get rad at home. Every time ive been to hospital (which is a lot) its due to me trying to get rad and failing. Just what the hospitals need, kids sat in A&E needing stitches in their knees.

sharkattack

Meh. I’d be doing the same thing if I had the room.

I certainly wouldn’t be peeping through the net curtains and clutching my pearls.

sirromj

So why did he fall off ?

Because you don’t do that kind of thing without falling off. He was laughing about it. He’s learnt how to fall off without injury.

Every time ive been to hospital (which is a lot) its due to me trying to get rad and failing

And Sam’s the moron? OK.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Im sure the nurses would be over the moon to see you in A&E blubbing over your self inflicted boo boo asking them to kiss it better.

Blackflag
    Free Member

And Sam’s the moron? OK.

Are you serious? Risk is a pretty inherent part of MTB. You never hurt yourself? But for the love of god not now. Not whilst the hospitals are struggling to cope.

sirromj

Take a look at all the risk taking going on due to GoPro #homepro:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=%23homepro

matt_outandabout

I don’t think Sam Pilgrim does responsible, does he?

He couldn’t spell it, let alone have a concept of what it means.

Risk taking – I’m ok with people making thier own risk judgements. I’m less ok with a ‘pro’ suggesting kids should go big at present…

My own were out in the field by our house last night, lapping some of the jumps they’ve built. Imo they are easily safer doing that as some of the newbies/only out because of lockdown riders I’m seeing!

doomanic

Meh. I’d be doing the same thing if I had the room talent.

sharkattack

^ we’re not all canal path bimblers who go crying to Jedi every time we need to drop off a kerb.

RustyNissanPrairie

The guy’s as thick as mince, if he’s not ripping the woods up on a pit bike or ‘sending it’ in a public park on an electric ‘crosser then he’s hardly taking an hours outdoors exercise. Im disappointed STW hasnt owned him with a 2metre pair of bombers yet.

tomhoward

The guy’s as thick as mince,

He isn’t. It’s his job to get views for his sponsors, and does it very well. I’m questioning the logic of the sponsor here.

I must’ve missed the govt advice saying that going as big as your imagination can take you, as long it’s inside(ish) the grounds of your house, is fine. How much space do you need for a decent height Half pipe?

sirromj

I must’ve missed the govt advice saying that going as big as your imagination can take you, as long it’s inside(ish) the grounds of your house, is fine.

I think that’s just Sam. Do a search within youtube for #homepro and there’s all sorts, a lot isn’t xtreme/sports/action very few look like they’re going big as it were. What Sam’s doing in his back front yard isn’t big for him.

I watched it and it raised a laugh and smile and was a welcome break from the bleak misery that’s CV-19.

tomhoward

What Sam’s doing in his back front yard isn’t big for him.

Backflips never go wrong, right?

pitduck
    Free Member

Won’t, someone, think of the children…

kayak23

Toni Bou’s house is a little more picturesque…

jedi

Sam’s a really nice bloke with huge talent

timmys

Neither of those are mutually exclusive with being as thick as mince.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

we’re not all canal path bimblers who go crying to Jedi every time we need to drop off a kerb

please please please can we put this on a T-shirt. All profits to Singletrack

raincloud
    Free Member

Another bit of Pilgrim bashing by the singletrack massive………..

Brendan Fairclough is currently building dirt jumps at home to ride at home during “lockdown”

Matt Jones is doing the same.

Are they “thick as mince”

Amazingly they are all mates with Pilgrim…..and rate him as a very skilled rider. Watch Bernard Kerrs latest “vlog”

Now someone will be along to deny that they have any knowledge of these people and they are not concerned about professional mountain bikers.

I will leave this ticking grenade of a post here…….

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Lockdown: Sam Pilgrim Style’ is closed to new replies.