• This topic has 27 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by boblo.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Lockdown bike fettling boredom results…
  • rOcKeTdOg

Show what your boredom has resulted in.

Me, mullet Hardtail freakshow, a bike of two halves

IMG_20200405_111720

weeksy

NEw shock in the back of the G-160. Sadly it’s not here yet though.

ta11pau1

Love it.

Mine just has no crank, BB or seatpost currently.

I’m lacking in the spare parts to be able to build up another bike. 🙁

bigblackshed

I’ve been collecting parts for a Charge Plug frame I bought last year. The plan was to get it stripped and powder coated just before lockdown, which didn’t happen. I’m only short a saddle and bar tape, both of which are at the shut-up LBS.

So I now have a complete bike,bar the bits above, and a frame that looks like you’d catch tetanus from all sat waiting. I was planning on putting it together next weekend.

Arse.

13thfloormonk

I actually bothered to buy and apply some Fenwick’s Stealth lube, after telling myself I was going to stop using fancy lubes on any bike except the summer road bike (which uses Squirt because it never sees rain).

Cleaned chain in white spirit, rinsed, dried, cleaned again in bio-degradable chain cleaner, rinsed, dried, placed Fenwicks in mug of hot water, heated chain with hair dryer, applied 1 blob per link (which is what I do anyway, regardless of oil) cleaned off excess, left to cure overnight.

Results so far are an incredibly clean running and quiet chain, so I’m chuffed with that, and the forensic application process was quite restful in its own way.

Nothing more exciting than that unfortunately.

Kryton57

Goof Friday I’ll be removing fork & shock for a service off my race bike.  I’m not using them, they are two years old and it seems a good time to keep some turnover going at Tf Tuned.

tdog
    Free Member

Just bout to apply a “BULL SHIT” decal which should read ROCK SHOX to my fork leg on my DH bike

If anyone wants a loada decent stickers thenI have a fair few

👍

Can’t wait until bike shop is open to order / fit diff coil springs

singlespeedstu

I’ve been driven to actually wash one of my bikes.
    I think the last time that happened was around December.

julians
    Free Member

Cleaned the bike, installed a new press fit bottom bracket. The bike has never been been this clean apart from when I bought it.

Then I changed the oil, spark plugs, ignition leads, and cambelt on the caterham 7.

I’m now all out of jobs that need doing.

nickc

I’ve replaced two leaking tubeless valves, and replaced tape on front wheel, hopefully that’ll stop in slowly leaking, removed scratched and tatty stickers from front wheel at the same time. lubed and checked everything (even got the torque wrench out)

New bar tape on the roadie, checked everything over, went back inside onto rollers where it belongs

nofx
    Free Member

Got an ancient Saracen enzyme running as it should yesterday . Fitted some 2.7 inch wide specialized big rollers on little uns mtb. Sorted the headset on my specialized enduro. Just waiting on a chain device & brake pads now.

mboy
    Free Member

Mine has yet to fully materialise, but have a 5yr old 29er XC bike arriving in a few days, and have some drop bars with a slight flare and some SRAM Rival shift/brake levers and calipers and rear mech lying about too… 🤔

I’ve been driven to actually wash one of my bikes.

I haven’t got there yet, but I have no doubt it’ll happen soon!

stumason10

Did a spanner check on my bike today. First time I have done that in 20+ years of riding.

Took mudguard off the front and scraped out the congealed mud. Put it back on again.

Lubed chain. Listened to music throughout, best 45 mins this week.

honourablegeorge

New DPX2 shock on my G13 that I picked up half price. Has absolutely transformed the bike. I think. Only ridden it round the yard.

chrismac

Sent the Forks and rear sock to Fox for some service love. Replaced wheel bearings in 1 wheel. Now onto frame pivot bearings for mine and the wifes full suspension bikes. Might as well get them top tip for when playing can resume

doom_mountain

My friend dropped off her bike yesterday with a big bag of Shimano goodies, whole new groupset. It kept me occupied this afternoon. It was a pleasure to put together, even though it was ‘only’ Tiagra, modern Shimano stuff is brilliant at the lower levels.

She picked it up this evening and left a 12 pack of Cadbury’s Creme Eggs, I’m going to try and not eat them all tonight… no promises.

scaredypants

I’ve been DRIVEN to actually wash one of my bikes.

TOTALLY unacceptable travel during lockdown – unless it was to a bikewash in your own locality, or you’re a chief mdical officer

I took the TT bike off the turbo and put an actual bike on there – not training; no TT’s in sight, no point in hurting ma’ ass on that thing

loverofminkys

Changed all the bearings on my transition except the headset. Oh and new jockey wheels!

davros

Stuck the carbon tarn fork on my signal as it should work well for my local rides from home. Though I suspect my wrists won’t like it!

null

MoreCashThanDash

I’ve washed two of mine, and the kids bikes.

Replacing brake pads on the Soul revealed a stuck piston, but a handy trick from the guy at the LBS had it freed and sorted in no time – felt quite proud of myself as a mechanical numpty

Small victories

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’m resurrecting – actually reincarnating – my Bird Zero Mk1 into what I hope will be something suitable for cycle path pub visits. Nothing is here yet but I have ordered:-

Maxxis Re-Fuse tyres
    A replacement BB
    Fresh brake pads
    Ritchey Comp flat bar
    Ritchey Comp bar ends
    Ritchey grips

Might be a total disaster but I’m hoping that will make it a bit better for it’s new purpose in life.

bruneep

null
    My Frankenbike

reformedfatty
    Free Member

Took down mountain bike from where it had been since the last winter ride.

Discover that I apparently only got as far as the ‘cleaning’ part of that activity, and not the lubricating part. Chain was properly orange with rust.

It’s now oily and a bit orange. it’ll need a ride to see if it’s salvageable or not.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Stripped the BBs out of both my road and cross bike. The road bike had a smidgen of play, the cross bike was rough as the proverbial badgers backside after a winter of riding through the slop.

And sold two MTBs on Friday, partially to clear some space in the shed and partially because I trust my employer about as far as I could throw their office block to not just cancel my contract rather than furlough me.

So while I couldn’t get out for a ride I got arround to finishing this beast off.

30.3 lb, but needs sealent, so call it 31.

Generated from my Samsung GALAXY S7 using tools.sportscard.trade

More of a forced fettle – smashed the rear mech off the e-bike, so SS’ed to get home

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iQ55zb]20200411_153838[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iQ2n4S]20200411_160244[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iQ55w5]20200411_160252[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

Northwind

I think it’s just possible that all my bikes are in perfect working order. I don’t think that’s ever happened before.

boblo
    Free Member

All my transmissions have now been deep cleaned in Virosol which sounds like something Ladies use for embarrassing itchiness. I’ve even washed/cleaned both the commuter which hasn’t been touched (like that) for 2 years AND the tourer that was modified with a 6″ shorter wheelbase last year and since then, largely ignored…

I also have the fork off the new tourer away being reduced in stature by 16mm after finding it looked like a newborn giraffe during initial build up. I’d specified clearance for 35c’s, the builder added ~5mm for luck and then apparently another 11mm ‘just in case’… Happily, he was very good about the mods and the bikes not getting any use unbuilt or built.

I’m planning on changing the oil in the motorboik this arvo for more fun after spending yesterday afternoon not fixing the lawn spreader…

boblo
    Free Member

Well the oil change didn’t get done as I got distracted clearing out the garage so I could get to it… On the list for tomorrow now 😉

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Lockdown bike fettling boredom results…’ is closed to new replies.