Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Lock with alarm
  • mjsmke

Quite like the idea of a small lightweight lock with an alarm for leaving my bike outside a cafe.

Seen a couple on amazon but not sure how easy it would be to simply remove the batteries to prevent the alarm going off.

Any suggestions? Ideally one with a key and not wireless.

damascus
    Free Member

I’ve got a cheap one from ebay. Can’t remember the brand but the batteries were accessed under the lock. You could only remove them when unlocked. It was easy to do. I had it on the bike rack on the camper van but when we moved inside it would sometimes go off and put me in a panic. It took the small round/flat circle batteries x3

ndthornton
    Free Member

Coincidentally I was looking into this issue last week.
    Planning a bike packing trip and was looking for an uber lightweight lock with alarm.
    The motion alarm was the bit I was most looking for (something to wake me up in the tent if anyone moved the bike) – far less bothered about the security of the actual lock mechanism – just enough to stop a none-tooled up scroat from riding off on it.

found this

It has arrived – havent used it in anger yet.
    Its definitely light enough but I am a bit disappointing with the alarm. apparantly it goes off if you cut the wire (which is good but I cant test it) but ideally it should trigger on the slightest movement and then give you a 10 second or so window to put the code in to prevent the alarm sounding. Instead you have to continuously shake it for about 8 seconds to activate the alarm. If you stop shaking it for even a moment the timer resets. I don’t know if it would go off at all if someone carefully wheeled it away. Its probably ok if you can lock it to something solid (but the cable is quite short) – its not ideal for outside a tent where it will be just locked around the wheel and frame. I don’t know why its implemented like this and I am not sure I will use it.

Its very annoying – as its so nearly there and just a couple of lines of code need changing.
    Almost makes me want to make one myself

If anyone has found something that works properly I would be keen to know…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Lock with alarm’ is closed to new replies.