Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Lock out ,lack of.
  • zippykona

I’ve just bought an rp23 and the pro pedal switch makes no difference at all. It’s not really a problem but it would be nice if it did work.
    Have read loads on the web about needing a specific tune for each frame. Sounds like clap trap .
    Not sure how propedal works but surely physically turning a switch must do something somewhere in the shock.
    Anyone got a definitive answer?

treaclesponge
    Free Member

My understanding was that ProPedal doesnt lock out, just reduces pedal bob via increasingly firmer settings…

wwaswas

I was slightly surprised how little difference it made on my new frame.

I’ve nto done scientific tests but it feels like a slight firming up (vicar) rather than a lockout.

greeble
    Free Member

Is the shock new? The pro pedal should make a small difference. What rp23 year/model is it? Have you read the manual?
    Yes ideally the shock should be tined to the frame as easy suspension design works differently therefore the shock should be tuned to compliment this.

What a lot of people assume is the pro pedal should lock out the shock -this is not the case!

CheesybeanZ

No lock-out with propedal, set your sag in open position and turn the little dial so the 3 is over the arm .

anjs
    Free Member

My RP2 started behaving like this and cavitating, had to send if of to Mojo for a full serving under warranty

Junkyard
    Free Member

it does not lock out [ not even close] but you should notice a small difference on the squash test

zippykona

Think its a 2012 adaptive logic Kashima jobbie.
    My old rp23 went really firm as does my current rp2.
    Have set it up as suggested above.
    It does seem to be a common problem in internet land and no one seems to have a believable answer.
    My forks didn’t lock out due to low oil level is it possible the shocks are also low?
    The shock is superb apart from that.

LoCo
    Free Member

Propedal is a low speed compression circuit, which reduces the pedal induced bob and other low speed impacts.

Should be able to feel difference when set on the hardest setting when turned on and off, if not probably a gas leak into oil that reduces efficientcy and needs a full service.

zippykona

Its brand new so probably getting returned.

greeble
    Free Member

Think its a 2012 adaptive logic Kashima jobbie.

If its that flick the lever over to 3 (firmest setting) set the dial to 0. There should be a difference.

My forks didn’t lock out due to low oil level is it possible the shocks are also low?

Sounds like you’re in need of a complete over haul.

If it new send it to mojo for a free warrenty fix

ndthornton
    Free Member

Why are Fox genuine lock out shocks – RL – so rare these days?
    they were quite common in the past but now its just RP23.

I think I would prefer complete lock out for climbing fire road and smooth trails – so I can stand up and pedal when I want to rather than bouncing up and down.

Of course the best option is is a shock that offers both propedal and lockout (RPL fro example). Im sure this would be just a case of turning up the compression damping to completely block the flow of oil. How hard can this be??

It seams that lockout has just gone out of fashion – but I would pay extra for a shock that did both.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes I agree on lockout, i have a single pivot and i would also love to be able to lock it out as well. Even with pro on there is no point standing up never mind mashing

greeble
    Free Member

Get the shock tuned for your bike.

Oh wait..

That’s clap trap…

zippykona

Greeble I’m pretty certain you could put my shock on any bike you like and the propedal wouldn’t magically work.
    A gas leak sounds a more plausible explanation.

LoCo
    Free Member

It could be quite a ‘soft’ pp tune (have tuned quite a few of the CRC adaptive logic rp23s with the rare tunes on them. However should be fairly noticable when full off and on.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Why are Fox genuine lock out shocks – RL – so rare these days?
    they were quite common in the past but now its just RP23.

Because we don’t need lock out any more
    In the past it was to gloss over poor suspension design that bobbed and sagged terribly under power. Now all we have to smooth out us 2 lumps of meat (legs!) going up and down as the suspension geometry has been sorted out to more or less not need lock out any more. I’ve never had any lock out on my bikes, and never needed it.

greeble
    Free Member

Peterpoddy

A man who speaks sense

LoCo
    Free Member

Incorporation of a lockout generally also affects the overall performance of a shock as well and leads to other circuits being a compromise to allow it to fit. (CCDB may be the exception, but not really sure why they’ve fitted a lockout out on the newer shocks) Guess some people want it…

Offroad, a lockout will give less tractions as the wheel is more likely to hit and bounce off objects as opposed to hitting the object blowing through the propedal and absorbing the inpact and rolling over it with the tyre in contact with the ground and still driving. (generally :-p ) On road or really smooth trails I can see the attraction a bit more.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Because we don’t need lock out any more

Yeah Iv heard that line quite a lot and I just dont buy it.
    I dont know who “we” actually is but there are plenty of times on a ride when “I” want my bike to be a hard tail – not heavily damped but fully locked out.

Cos it doesn’t matter how good the damping is, bottom line – when you stand up and pedal it just don’t cut the mustard……and sometimes I want to stand up.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I do. Works fine for me. Pro pedal is all I need.
    FS bikes require a different riding style. More seated climbing, spinning the pedals, rather than standing and mashing a high gear. I adapted to that fairly quickly about 9 years ago, but if I don’t ride my FS bike for a long time it takes an hour to get back into it and remember. 🙂

Cos it doesn’t matter how good the damping is,

Of course it does!

ndthornton
    Free Member

I adapted to that fairly quickly

adapting = compromise

Why should we have to compromise when the solution has been around for years.
    Of course I sit down and peddle most of the time as its way more efficient – any dumb ass knows that. But I should be able to stand up when I want to for short bursts.

mtbant
    Free Member

I’m with you on this one ndthornton, we do a fair bit of road / fireroad linking climbs etc.. and it would be nice to be able to stand up and mash the pedals without the need for super bob on the go 🙂 I only want two modes, full open full lock. maybe i should carry around a block of wood 😉

stumpy01

ndthornton – Member

I dont know who “we” actually is but there are plenty of times on a ride when “I” want my bike to be a hard tail – not heavily damped but fully locked out.

Cos it doesn’t matter how good the damping is, bottom line – when you stand up and pedal it just don’t cut the mustard……and sometimes I want to stand up.

Specialized Brain, FTW.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Specialized Brain

I suppose its a nice concept but for me id be more than happy to reach down and flick a switch when I feel the urge to put some power down 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

adapting = compromise

No it’s not. Don’t be silly.
    FS bikes require a different style. Why should I put up with inferior damping (as LOCO says) just because someone wants lock out?
    I can and do stand up on my FS bike anyway.

unknown
    Free Member

My by-no-means-high-end x fusion 02RLC shock has pro-pedal-a-like and a full lockout. I’m glad it has both but the full lockout gets plenty of use and I’d be reluctant to give it up.

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

would a lockout not put undue stress on the frame and linkages

unknown
    Free Member

I doubt it would when climbing, which is when it’s likely to be used. Might do I’d you set off down the trail with it locked out, although I expect you’d realise your mistake pretty sharpish.

ndthornton
    Free Member

@peterwhatever
    Are you suggesting its beyond the wit of man to incorporate lock out and propedal!
    All you need to do is completely close the damping circuit instead of partially for propedal. We’ve send men to the moon but can’t do that lol

Anyhow I predict lockout will be making a comeback soon given the number of people ditching granny rings on there Enduro bikes (not me) and bouncing up climbs.

So I suppose il just wait 🙂

hammyuk
    Free Member

My RP23 on my Cube locks out almost fully when switched.
    No bobbing to speak of.
    Maybe it’s more about the design of the linkages, etc than the shock.

fathomer

The one that come with my frame (second hand) seems to make sod all difference. It’ll be heading to Loco for a full service, and maybe a tune, after the winter 8)

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Lock out ,lack of.’ is closed to new replies.