Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Lochearnhead family rides?
  • geomickb
    Free Member

Hurrah, we arrived. Now what shall we do?

2 adults and a 7 year old ( that likes flat rides!). Obvious places are Gravelfoyle and north shore of Loch Earne. Probably Loch Katrine?

scotroutes

Glen Ogle

13thfloormonk

Head up the cycle path as far as you care to, look out for beavers!

redmex
    Free Member

If it was in the middle of summer, up Glen Ogle then down to Killin for food then retrace your track back but it’s maybe a wee bit for a 7 year old with the weather cooler and wet but easy track

StirlingCrispin

Sustrans route to Callander and back for an ice-cream.

Sustrans route to Glen Ogle for an ice-cream (is the burger van still operating). Look for the Tornado memorial.

Look for the bridge on south Loch Earn where there’s a memorial stone in memory to fleeing Jacobite soldiers killed by the English.

Head to Comrie and look for the Earthquake House.
    https://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/comrie/earthquakehouse/index.html

The north side of Loch Earn is a fast road – avoid.

For touristy stuff:
    Blair Drummond Safari Park
    Stirling Castle
    Comrie Croft MTB trails.
    Lunch at MONACHYLE MHOR HOTEL (there were weird shit art installations in the field nearby. Entertained Thump when we were younger – before wading the loch to get to the former hostel).

Weird art installation: https://lynseyscott.co.uk/mirrored-lookout-art-installation/

Ooh – watersports and ice-cream: https://www.lochearnwakeschool.co.uk/

geomickb
    Free Member

Cheers will look at those. When I say north Loch Earn I mean the disused railway.

StirlingCrispin

Which reminds me:

Years ago, Mattoutandabout with Surroundedbyhiils organised a yoof ride through Glen Kendrum.
    South from the Glen Ogle carpark, through Glen Kendrum and then along the railway line east to Killin.

It was 2016 and Thump was 10 – and many kids were a similar age.

After an ice-cream at Killin it was decided that the climb back to Glen Ogle was probably a bit much for everyone so I got left supervising kids in the play park while the proper grown-ups cycled back for the cars.

It was an excellent day out of proper mountain biking with streams to cross and everything.
    Definitely worth checking out if your youngster is enthusiastic

And for Gravelfoyle: check out the goat ice-cream at Achray farm.
    Just a short walk from the Byre Inn – or by bike along south Loch Venachar, which is definitely kiddie friendly (I’ve done it with 6-yr old Beavers). Route along Glen Finglas is hilly.

geomickb
    Free Member

We do have a Follow Me so I can drag her if necessary or cycle back for a car.

StirlingCrispin

We did Loch Katrine when Thud was 6 and Thump 8.
    Steamer to Stronachlachar and then cycled back.

It’s a closed road but hilly.
    Steamer is mostly circuits so check your times.

Thud – never a natural cyclist – got off and walked the hills with a promise of ice-cream at the end. He survived.

So much is dependent on the weather though – a cold, damp child is a miserable child.

Enjoy!

Note: Just do south Loch Venachar instead, It’s stunning and fun.

chickenman

Crispin, when you say Glen Kendrum I take it you don’t mean the curcuit up round Creag Mac Ranaich? Some pretty amazing rock achitecture up there (I’m surprised it never took off as a climbing venue, there were a handful of impressive routes). I’m fond of Glen Tarken on Loch Earn, rather bleak and steep at first but solitude guaranteed.

StirlingCrispin

@chickenman

This was the circuit:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/8yJfFfaVnHqTwHwc8

Drop me a PM if you want more details.

Excellent day out 🙂

matt_outandabout

Don’t forget that Comrie Croft is local. The kids can bike park while you sip a coffee….
    For a ‘wild’ but peaceful road ride, pop over to Bridge of Balgie and just ride up the glen as far as legs will go – then (mainly) freewheel back for excellent cake at the Post Office.
    The circuit if Loch Voil is excellent – quiet road, stepping stones across the narrows, one push up the hill then forest track back to Balqhidder.

chickenman

Ooft, that’s quite a climb with weans Crispin and quite a rough track up from memory having walked it a couple of times!

geomickb
    Free Member

What are the trails like at Comrie? Bit hilly for wee lassie and I brought my cx?

matt_outandabout

Yes they’re quite steep – but a winch up and roll down the blue is ace. As is the bikepark for kids…

geomickb
    Free Member

Glen Ogle was great. We went all the way to Killin and didn’t fancy dragging F back up the hill so we called a family meeting and it was decided that I go and fetch the car. 😃

Ben Vorlich today, I was amazed how well that went.

Gravelfoyle tomorrow I think.

What a great area. We are all very impressed. Now, where do I want to move to?!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.