Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • located my stolen bike, but I have no proof it's mine?
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

My very distinctive / retro bike was stolen a few months back. I have subsequently located it nearby but am sure how to proceed as I have no photos of me with my bike and as it was a hand me down (brother to dad, then to me …) no receipts.

If I contact the police how do I prove it is mine. My brother and mum will vouch that it’s mine.

Thanks

Bregante

Write down the spec of every part fitted.
    Any dents, scratches or marks to the frame that you can recall? If so when and how were they caused? Write those down too.

The police should record that in a statement from you and then go and look at the bike to check those points and interview the current “owner” about how he came by the bike. Ultimately it isn’t always cut and dried and the cops may refer it to a civil interpleader claim – especially if it has changed hands several times or been bought from a shop/semi legit process but if the buyer has any doubts at all about the legitimacy of his purchase they can usually be persuaded to relinquish any claim.

Good luck

flanagaj
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice. I’ll do that and then contact them.

Bregante

One major point I missed. Did you report it stolen in the first place? Take the crime number in – just so nobody can accuse you of randomly trying to claim a bike is yours!

deadkenny
    Free Member

was a hand me down (brother to dad, then to me …)

No chance they had photos either?

and I guess you don’t have the frame number.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘located my stolen bike, but I have no proof it's mine?’ is closed to new replies.