Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Local plod in my face!
  • beagle
    Free Member

Just got back in after catching up with an old mate for a couple of coffees as he’s had a hard time of it recently, and wanted to invite him round for Christmas lunch, if he was going to be on his own. Anyhow, our local tiny co-op has recently (about 2 or 3 months ago ) put directional ‘in’/ ‘out, ‘entry’/’no entry’ and directional paint on the floor. Just blue signage, like you’d get in a petrol station. I always obey it, mainly because I’m coming from my house, which is closer to the entry anyway. Honest truth.

As I’m coming from the opposite way to normal I’d turned into the side road which leads to the exit and then realised its now directional. No traffic on either the main road, side road or moving in the little car park. So I slow down to crawling speed, nip in and park up. As I’m walking into the shop, I hear an aggressive ‘oi, excuse me, oi’ and turn to see a short aggressive, box bearded officer striding up to me. He proceeds to tell me I’ve broken the law, going into a no entry. I apologise and explain my rationale and that as far as I was concerned, I hadn’t broken the law. He’s right up in my face, then asks if I’ve been drinking. Fair enough at this time of year. After politely saying I hadn’t, apologising again and as far as I was concerned I hadn’t broken the RTA, as it’s just the co-op’s way of controlling the flow of traffic, he says ‘if it ain’t the law, I’ll make it the law’ and then starts saying I was driving without due care and attention and that I hadn’t indicated! I asked who I would have been indicating to, as there were no pedestrians/cyclists or cars anywhere! He agrees I crawled round and was driving slowly, but insists he’s booking me for driving with undue care and attention. Que slight change of approach from me – i stop politely putting my side of it across and commence 5 minutes of grovelling/agreeing with angry man and he finally let’s me off to go and get some milk!

He needs to be in the shop at 3pm, when the 12 year old school kids are smoking outside, shop lifting and being abusive to the old dears getting their bits and bobs. Nearly said that, but thought I may end up in the cells tonight!!

Thought he was out of order being so aggressive and bringing other charges into it, when he realised I may have a point. I have utmost respect for the police, but some let themselves and the rest down at times IMO.

project
    Free Member

even police have bad days….

bencooper
    Free Member

PC or PCSO?

beagle
    Free Member

PC accompanied by younger female PCSO, which could have been the problem?

timidwheeler

So you ignored the no entry sign in front of a uniformed police officer. This suggests you didn’t look properly. He should have reported you and been done with it, as you clearly feel you did nothing wrong and resent his verbal warning.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

TBH mate you admit you went in the wrong way I’m not sure youve got much of a leg to stand-on.

Take it on the chin.

Rscott
    Free Member

is there an official high way code traffic sign or is it just a made up one.

beagle
    Free Member

So timidwheeler, I assume you never go the wrong way round Sainsburys?

flippinheckler
    Free Member

It’s like my neighbour who drove up the street to her house on her mobile phone I said in a jokey fashion naughty naughty she replied it only on our close, another case of being selective on how the law applies to them. Shame snouty copper was not about or my next door neighbour who is a high ranking police officer. Doubt she would feel the same if I was on my phone and ran over her two year old daughter.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Po Po be hating batman cos he drive a lambo

Seen on side of Sainsburys earlier today

martinhutch

Did you get his collar number? Write to his inspector if it’s bothering you that much.

Jamie
    Free Member

So timidwheeler, I assume you never go the wrong way round Sainsburys?

I do. Start at the dog food, and work my way backwards.

beagle
    Free Member

I admitted, apologised and explained the directional signs/paint had only recently been put down by the co-op. fair cop, but I didn’t expect a uniformed officer to infer that he was going to find something to do me for regardless, unless I kissed his ass.

deluded
    Free Member

I LOL’ed at crashtestmonkey 😀

Jamie – amusing as ever 😀

I predict great things for this thread – but then I’m in a good mood having been informed 2 hours ago that I’ve been promoted to Sgt. Happy days.

RustySpanner

and turn to see a short aggressive, box bearded officer striding up to me.

Hmm, shortist and beardist.

I’d have been happy if you ‘fell down the station steps’ a few times. Here’s hoping for next time, eh? 🙂

beagle
    Free Member

Beardist? Never. I’m sporting one at the moment actually 😮

Congratulations on the promotion deluded!

RustySpanner

Sooooo, you admit to being shortist then!

To the dungeons with him.
    Bet you’ve got an unlicenced airgun too………

beagle
    Free Member

Rusty, you sound like him, trying to pin something on me 😛 I’m only 5’9″ myself, and the shortist of my mates – to their amusement a lot of the time!

Jamie
    Free Member

Congratulations on the promotion deluded!

I heard all he needed to get the nod was one more act of proactive policing.

Apparently, this was achieved at a tiny co-op.

He also has a cracking beard, bit boxy mind, and doesn’t let his Napoleonic stature get to him.

RustySpanner

……………..and doesn’t let his Napoleonic statue get to him.

Like this?

Ooooh, quick edit, eh?

somafunk

As far as i understand criminal law it is not an offence to wilfully ignore directional signs in a supermarket car park just as it not a criminal offence to park in a supermarket mother and child parking bay and also not an offence to park in a supermarket or any privately owned car park disabled parking bay but i think you may still be open to prosecution for driving without due care and attention – this applies to any land that members of the public have free access to whether that be private such as a supermarket car park/private estate land with rights of way across it or such like.

zilog6128

He probably didn’t know that you were special, and the rules which apply to everyone else don’t apply to you. Silly copper!!

deluded
    Free Member

😀

I am boxy and at 5’9″ could be termed short but avoid beards due to comparisons with Henry VIII and Michael Evis.

I resent the idea that I’d been seen at the Co-Op (unless it was picking up a shoplifter).

Jamie
    Free Member

Ooooh, quick edit, eh?

I don’t know what you’re talking about, officer.

beagle
    Free Member

I don’t have a halo, like some Zilog 🙄

Edit – and if it had have been a sign I was legally obliged to comply with, I would have 3 point turned, done 3 sides of a square and gone in the correct way!

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’ve been promoted to Sgt. Happy days

WOW Sgt Happy Days that sounds VERY important – school liaison perhaps 😉

RustySpanner

don’t know what you’re talking about, officer.

[img]http://www.defendtherighttoprotest.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/miners-strike-orgreave.jpg[/img]

Well, seeing as you apologised nicely, don’t do it again and we’ll say no more about it, eh?

zilog6128

I don’t have a halo, like some Zilog

sure you do, as you go to great pains to point out with your opening sentence

somafunk

Just think, it could’ve been far worse – imagine a stw’r being successfully prosecuted for driving the wrong way round an aldi or lidl car park….oh the shame…the shame indeed, you’d never be able to show your face again at the “i love waitrose” secret meetings.

Actually come to think of it i’d rather shop at aldi or lidl than give any of my cash to Terry Leahy, the **** that owns tesco….or walmart/asda….arghhhhh i can feel the unsubstantiated rage building……..

Here’s something that was said earlier……

Tesco CEO Sir Terry Leahy has announced that, after completing the acquisition of the Co-Op and the Happy Garden Chinese takeaway in Bromsgrove, it now owns every-****’-thing in the whole ****’ country.

‘A few years ago, when it emerged that £1 out of every £8 spent on groceries in the UK was in Tesco, I said that left £7 to go for and the bankers just ****’ smirked,’ said Leahy. ‘So I thought ”Right, you ****’ and decided not just to take over the entire ****’ food chain but every other ****’ thing as well’.

After a busy six months buying Homebase, Boot’s, Asda, the Blue Cross charity shop and funkypigeon.com, Tesco had to dig deep to buy Sainsbury’s too. This was, admitted Leahy ‘****’ expensive’ but was achieved with an interest-free loan off Tesco Bank that was guaranteed by Tesco’s Insurance. ‘Then the Monopolies Commission started sniffing round, so we said ‘**** that for a game of soldiers’ and bought them too.’

Leahy also dismissed as ‘unsubstantiated’ rumours that he has yet to acquire a border terrier in Herefordshire called Monty who was recently seen cocking his leg on a discarded Tesco trolley. He also revealed that the traditional view that Tesco is using its immense buying power to reduce prices and drive customer loyalty is actually ‘bollocks’.

”Buying power? We don’t have to buy ANY-****’-thing because we own EVERY-****’-thing,’ he said. ‘Want to demonstrate about it? That’s fine with us, we own all three placard makers in Britain. Or e-mail your complaints to your MP? Tough titty, we own Hewlett Packard, Dell and BT too. And your MP. Actually, we’ve always owned the ****’ MP….’

Jamie
    Free Member

Well, seeing as you apologised nicely, don’t do it again and we’ll say no more about it, eh?

As soon as you stop smashing me in the face with your baton, i’ll be off.

*ooof*

Edit: I think Somafunk has opened the ‘special chocolate’

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I predict great things for this thread – but then I’m in a good mood having been informed 2 hours ago that I’ve been promoted to Sgt. Happy days.

congratulations, no small achievement at any time, more so now with “austerity” limiting opportunities and increasing competition.

Just avoid custody like the plague 🙄

To the OP, if your transcript is accurate he does sound like a bit of an asshat. Every organisation has them, everybody has bad days, problem is when its da babylon it has a greater impact on other people.

beagle
    Free Member

Well, better 2 coffees than a pint though eh? Apologies for starting the thread with something which is playing on my mind. Won’t do it again (STW epauletted) Officer.

dannyh
    Free Member

Sounds a bit like said copper was being a bit OTT about it, but by the letter of the law he was bang on.

Maybe it is his way of making sure you remember it and don’t do it again?

I hope sense prevails – you don’t do it again, he nicks some of the oiks who shoplift.

project
    Free Member

Perhaps the O/P should have said quite loudly, PERHAPS YOU WOULD BE BETTER SPENDING YOUR TIME CATCHING REAL CRIMINALS,

That usually gets a reaction, for some reason

molgrips
    Free Member

I once knew a bloke who drove up a narrow street, parked, and went to someone’s house – possibly his own, not sure. Whilst he was in the house for a short period of time, the council had erected one-way street signs. He drove out his normal way which was now the wrong way and got a ticket. Now that’s harsh!

Jamie
    Free Member

Now that’s harsh!

…but amusing.

killwillforchips
    Free Member

I hate coppers.

Never do as they tell you. Always question why. And always film the outcome!

Bloody idiots.

Jamie
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBeT4ptY9sY[/video]

patriotpro
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ZzDIiLd-sUA[/video]

Good on you I say – we need a bit of mild anarchy occassionally.

Sound’s like the beardy tosser had short man syndrome and was trying to impress his PCSO. Should have told him to do one.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Local plod in my face!’ is closed to new replies.