Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Local Council Removing public Recycling points
  • Premier Icon kayak23

I’ve just noticed that all of the recycling bins have gone from the car park of my local Tesco.

A bit of googling and I find that this is actually a decision made by my local council.

Local paper news link

W…..T……A……..F!!!

Lately, more than I can ever remember, fly-tipping has reached epidemic levels. I mean it’s just awful and absolutely heartbreaking to see the massively high levels of dumped waste out in local woodland and countryside laybys and farmer’s gates and fields.

I see this all of the time while out riding now and honestly, pretty much every ride is tainted by what I see out there.

It’s not just builders waste either, but more and more household stuff and even hedgerows locally strewn with cans and bottles that should have been in a recycling bin

So now, my local council (Warwick District Council) has taken the decision to remove recycling facilities at many public car parks and supermarkets due to what they state as misuse, fly-tipping and mixed waste.

How on earth then, I mean really, how on earth, did someone decide that it would be a good idea to force all of that misuse out into the countryside, rather then keep it relatively controlled at a number of local sites?
    I just cannot see any logic in that at all.
    Surely it costs a lot more money to go out into the countryside and clear up the shit of humans than it does to do it in a car park?!

I’m really pretty angry about this as I know it’s going to make things much worse, and the local countryside that’s been under such immense pressure lately with the pandemic is going to be put under much more pressure still!

Absolute weapons-grade twonkery of infinite magnitude 😡

Anyone else getting this from their local council?

Shall we clear this up from a car park?….

…or shall we clear up more and more of this?

Premier Icon TheBrick
    Free Member

Yes it sucks. No excuse but taking stuff to the tip is becoming harder and harder it’s not surprising more people flytip. If the fly tipping is on private land the cost is born by the land owner so maybe the council think most of the fly tipping will be moved to private land so not their problem?

Premier Icon onewheelgood

I’m also getting this, but then I have the same local council. Agree with you on the fly tipping and general littering. It always looks worse at this time of year because the vegetation is at its lowest, but it’s been tragic to see the snowdrops struggling to get through the litter when I’ve been on road rides recently.

On the other hand, I’m not sure who the facilities that they are removing were actually aimed at. All residential properties have a fortnightly recycling collection, and if you were driving to the car park to recycle stuff anyway you can still drive to the main recycling centres. Perhaps the council is right that those facilities were just attracting dumping, or encouraging commercial waste producers to dodge their fees?

Premier Icon kimbers

Does seem ridiculous

The dual carriage way into town near us has seen an explosion in litter in the last few months

Not sure if it is due to more flytipping as well as council not having litter pickers due to covid

Premier Icon bigyan
    Free Member

All residential properties have a fortnightly recycling collection, and if you were driving to the car park to recycle stuff anyway you can still drive to the main recycling centres.

Council area I just left had stopped household glass collections, council area I have moved is apparently going to stop glass collections.

I assume its budget related?

Brown bin collection had to be paid for.

I was taking glass to Tesco car park when I did a shop. However other people were just binning it. Its going to cause issues, seems rather short sighted to me, however if a council has a limited budget, services they must provide, something has to give.

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

Our local council took the great decision to close all recycling centres every Wednesday. So now every Wednesday the people that can’t get into the recycling centre go across the road to the supermarket and dump all their shit somewhere approximately close to the recycling facilities there instead.

Premier Icon sobriety
    Free Member

I’m fairly sure it’s budget related – My local council have started limiting the amount of plaster/plasterboard/rubble a homeowner can dump at the tip, and charging for it. Which I’m sure will have no effect on the volume of plaster/plasterboard/rubble being flytipped in the local countryside at all, oh no.

They literally blame “significant cuts by central government” on their website. While I’m sure this is part of the problem, the councils ability to haemorrhage money into while elephant schemes has something to do with it as well.

Premier Icon mrhoppy

Why do you need bring banks when every property will be served by a recycling collection at the property of those materials? They are an expensive anachronism dating back to when recycling was not common but for some reason the public expect to see them as a visible touchstone despite barely using them and generally just dumping crap around them.

They will be a constant source of aggro for the council as they have to clear up mess usually under pressure from the land owners. They contribute SFA to recycling measures that they get monitored against but require a specific fleet for the collections and are prone to being fired losing any value that was in the sparse quantity of material within.

Just because people are scum doesn’t mean it’s the wrong decision and if it’s any consolation even when you take them out people still tend to fly tip in the same place for a long time, it doesn’t redistribute.

Premier Icon steveh

I’m not sure the link between litter in terms of cans/bottles in hedges and recycling places disappearing really works. Here in Sheffield I take a lot to the recycling points as the brown bin only takes a very limited range of items.

Premier Icon white101

I could post on here a hundred photos of the bags of rubbish I’ve filled with the OH and our neighbour from local woods and fields and hedges, the council round here started removing bins from the streets but in reality that only gave sensible people nowhere to put rubbish.

The usual tramps still just dump their crap anywhere they fancy.

3 weeks ago I reported on the fly tipping page of the local council the latest flat bed transit load of crap at a regular spot, since then three more loads have found there way there, it’s now a small hill.

We had a fire at the local recycling centre (run by SITA on behalf of Gateshead Council) the place will be shut for months I imagine as the whole thing needs removing and rebuilding.

I can only imagine this will have the effect that removing bins have had, the knock on might be that people now pay ‘licensed waste removal firms’ to dump it in the country lanes around the area.

Premier Icon simon_g

It’s absolutely budget driven. Councils are getting squeezed so anything they’re not legally obliged to do will go. I’ve not been able to take building waste to the tip (for free) in the 6 years I’ve lived here, have to get a skip or pay commercial rates on the weighbridge at the tip.

My parents still use bottle banks. I have no idea why, they get recycling collected every fortnight along with everyone else.

Premier Icon kayak23

It’s absolutely budget driven

Seems backward though. Surely it costs way more ultimately to clear up litter and fly tipping out all over the district than it does to clear the majority of it at a select few sites.

I don’t think businesses shouldn’t pay to process waste, but the current situation just really leaves everywhere open to fly tipping.
    Is it not better to make it easier for irresponsible business owners to get rid of waste in a controlled environment, rather then the easy option being to dump it in a field entrance?

As for fortnightly collections versus recycling points. I can’t really see that in a world where unfortunately we have more and more cardboard from deliveries etc, that it’s such a bad thing to have a dedicated place at a supermarket that you’re going to anyway, to drop some off and reduce the amount of crap that gets left out in the street to blow around.

The situation isn’t perfect, but I don’t think making it even less perfect will change behaviour.

Premier Icon twinw4ll
    Free Member

I’m amazed at people who tut at a can in a hedgerow, but drive a 4×4 and go abroad on holiday three times a year.

Premier Icon kelvin

I’m amazed at people who tut at a can in a hedgerow, but drive a 4×4 and go abroad on holiday three times a year.

Who was that?

Premier Icon wzzzz
    Free Member

Don’t think I’ve ever used a bottle bank or cardboard bin since they started doing kerbside collections.

If I have too much then my neighbours oblige or I hold it over till next time.

Our tip run by a contractor charges for inert waste like rubble and plasterboard, but the neighbouring council run their own tip, which is actually closer to my house so I go there.

And we pay £30 a year for garden waste.

Premier Icon oldtennisshoes

Councils are getting squeezed so anything they’re not legally obliged to do will go.

If only that was the case – the obsession with mowing, strimming and leaf blowing around here is criminal. There are loads of green spaces which are scalped several times a year. IN december a work gang of half a dozen guys was leaf blowing leaf litter away from under trees into a pile which they then just left.

It’s a heady mix of local petty politics, poorly qualified managers, and a unionised workforce that has evolved a culture of poor motivation / jobsworthyness.

Don’t. Get. Me. Started

Premier Icon squirrelking
    Free Member

Not sure how councils save money by cutting recycling considering the costs to put stuff in landfill. Last I checked you can’t burn glass either.

Oh **** off!

Premier Icon hamishthecat

It’s a heady mix of local petty politics, poorly qualified managers, and a unionised workforce that has evolved a culture of poor motivation / jobsworthyness.

There is probably an element of most these points affecting many councils although you don’t need a union to be poorly motivated or a jobsworth.

The bottom line is that councils have been chronically underfunded for years and for many it is approaching crisis point to the extent that with reduced revenues due to Covid some are at risk of actually going bust. Councils are not going to be able to take financial decisions that make better sense in the bigger picture – it is going to be about the bare legal minimum and we will all suffer to some extent.

Premier Icon squirrelking
    Free Member

a unionised workforce that has evolved a culture of poor motivation / jobsworthyness.

I cordially invite you to **** off as well.

Maybe if more workers had a union with teeth employers wouldn’t get away with the practices that breed resentment and discontent. Unions have next to no power these days but still remain a handy scapegoat for shitty employmemt practices. Race to the bottom you say?

Premier Icon Gribs

Why do you need bring banks when every property will be served by a recycling collection at the property of those materials?

Is complete recycling collection common? In Leeds we don’t get glass collected so it either goes in general waste or taken to bottle banks.

Premier Icon mrhoppy

Is complete recycling collection common?

Yes. It’s within the WFD that paper, metals, glass and plastic need to be separately collected unless not TEEP.

Premier Icon cinnamon_girl

That top pic is both horrific and utterly depressing.

Premier Icon kayak23

Why do you need bring banks

I don’t suppose we ‘need’ them.
    My argument though is that lazy people and fly tippers will always seek the easiest option to get waste out of their hair.

Just seems that it would make more sense for that easiest option to be in a supermarket car park rather than in a woodland layby over the fence and down into a ditch.

This will surely increase fly tipping in the countryside.

Premier Icon submarined

I understand the frustration at the perception, however these genuinely get very little use and they’re an expensive top up to the contract, as they require a separate round, separate vehicle etc. This currently has a very significant effect on most (and definitely your) local councils – they are hugely short of money, if you read some of the stuff going on at the moment with the sharing of services with Stratford, it’s very significantly budget driven. To put it simply, there’s no money in the bank, none is coming in from central Gov, who have cut their contribution year after year. I can’t remember a time when they haven’t been battling to meet a budget reduction. Their HQ is literally falling apart, and the constant battles that trying to relocate it have caused with the local residents who can’t see the bigger picture.
    Trust me, a lot of the people who work for WDC genuinely want to help make the District a better place, but there just isn’t the money. 🙁

And not wanting to be contrary, but there have been quite a few studies showing very little relation between the removal of communal facilities such as this and an increase in fly tipping. Most flytipping is done by shady arsehole companies, and usually not by single domestic properties.

But I agree with you, trying to get to the recycling places is a nightmare – try getting rid of paint, for instance….

Not everyone has a front/back garden large enough to accommodate all these different recycling bins. Or if you have a family then one bin each of household refuse/recycling/glass is likely insufficient. That’s before you take into account Xmas, Easter and other family gatherings, kids parties etc. The waste has to go somewhere.

Premier Icon jambourgie
    Free Member

Are you on the edge of a county? Perhaps the logic from the council is that people from your town will flytip in the countryside,  which a lot of will be the neighbouring county’s problem. Quite cunning tbh 🙂

I once lived in a town on the edge of a county. The neighbouring county built a huge travellers site less than half a mile from the town, but in their own county… just. Not saying this was the same situation as everybody likes caravan enthusiasts.

Premier Icon project
    Free Member

Panorama bbc 1 last night and now on iplayer about countryside fly tipping, our local tesdcos took away most of the recycling skips and sainsburys cant be bothered to ensure theirs are emptied , numerous complaints to get them emptied, followed by the usual we have reported it to the team responsible.

Our two tip sites council owned run by private comapny other day one had 38 cars waiting, and the other about 20, over in liverpool buses had to be diverted as car parkers blocked the toad to the tip waiting to enter.

Just why do plebs have so much stuff, they can afford to just throw away instead of thinking do i really need that, and can i recycle /sell/give away or reuse stuff i do.

Premier Icon mrhoppy

Not everyone has a front/back garden large enough to accommodate all these different recycling bins. Or if you have a family then one bin each of household refuse/recycling/glass is likely insufficient. That’s before you take into account Xmas, Easter and other family gatherings, kids parties etc. The waste has to go somewhere.

But none of this is exceptional, the Council’s will have considered this within the design and planning. There will be consideration for both storage limited households and large households. Constraint of capacity is designed as a behaviour change driver it’s usually only applied to residual waste if they ask they almost certainly will be allowed additional recycling capacity. And there obviously must be storage space in the houses because the stuff was stored before hand waste doesn’t come from nowhere.

Premier Icon Sandwich

I’m fairly sure it’s budget related

This, very much this. If manager A doesn’t have to spend on glass recycling then manager B has to spend on collecting the fly-tipping (the pic in the OP is fly-tipping too).

What neither A nor B realise that all that money comes from the same pot, our pockets. They all need a good slap and told that they need to consider the big picture and the consequences of their choices on OUR money.

It’s a cop-out to say that money is tight, it doesn’t excuse the waste caused by off-loading the problem to another department.

But none of this is exceptional, the Council’s will have considered this within the design and planning. There will be consideration for both storage limited households and large households. Constraint of capacity is designed as a behaviour change driver it’s usually only applied to residual waste if they ask they almost certainly will be allowed additional recycling capacity. And there obviously must be storage space in the houses because the stuff was stored before hand waste doesn’t come from nowhere.

Thanks for your response @mrhoppy and take your points. There’s obviously been a huge change in shopping habits over the past year which presumably has resulted in more recycling of cardboard boxes from Amazon and the like. I’d like to see this tackled with boxes being repurposed or re-used, there has to be a way surely.

Premier Icon submarined

To be fair to the District in question, I beleive there’s a possibility of the water scheme moving to a weekly recycling collection at some point in the future, instead of the current fortnightly one, so there should be less hanging around. 🙂

Premier Icon mrhoppy

If manager A doesn’t have to spend on glass recycling then manager B has to spend on collecting the fly-tipping (the pic in the OP is fly-tipping too).

Except manager A and B will be the same person in the authority and the decision will have been taken based on an assessment of financial, performance and environmental assessment. This will have undergone a reasonable level of scrutiny, it’s not done on a whim.

I was talking to the waste manager at a large Council when they withdrew their bring banks. They got pilloried because everyone used them extensively and couldn’t cope without them. In the preceding 5 years they averaged less than 100 tonnes/year through the entire network, in comparison they collect around 35,000 tonnes/year at the kerbside.

Premier Icon singletrackmind

Come down to sunny Hampshire
    Recycling centres are by appointment only
    In a vehicle registered with the council, within the county
    Only 3 vehicles are allowed to be on site for any 30min booking window
    This means week plus booking delays as all the sites are pre booked
    Leading to a greater amount of fly tipping
    £3 for a bag of rubble, no ta. I will hoof it in a lay-by, all 8 of them.

The local scum fly tippers got their Transit tipper stranded pn an earth bank whilst tipping out a huge cage of collected crap. They then had the front to say they were changing a wheel and not fly tipping do demanded their van back
    Fortunately some friendly person set fire to it to side step that ever happening

Premier Icon Sandwich

That’s great if you have kerbside glass recycling in your authority, not everyone does. I’m not convinced that the thinking is as joined up as posited.

As an example our local recycling centres won’t take plasterboard from householders nor any more than 2 bags of hardcore (that is charged for). Strangely there’s been an increase of fly-tipped bags of hardcore and plasterboard off-cuts locally. I doubt the saving at the recycling centre/landfill covers the costs of the vehicles and operators to collect the hedgerow detritus that is then taken to waste-transfer for sorting and disposal. The householder’s did all that stuff for free (sorting/collection), contracting out doesn’t seem to be working for us.

Premier Icon deltacharlie72
    Free Member

In a move that seems to be bucking the trend described here, my local council are this month expanding the kerbside reycling collections. Granted, they’ve been woefully behind up until now, but given that everyone else seems unable to afford to sustain their commitment to refuse/recycling collections, it is a pleasant surprise.

From this month they will be collecting glass and a much wider range of plastic. Currently we have to take glass to the bottle bank with fingers crossed that it’s been emptied in the last fortnight. The only plastic they’ll currently collect is plastic milk and drinks bottles. Soon they’ll be taking pretty much everything. I will however now have 2 wheelie bins, 2 recycling boxes, a food waste caddy and a heavy duty recycling sack. I am however curious as to how they expect either of the lightweight boxes, or the recycling sack to remain at the front of my house on a breezy autumn/winter/spring day until I get home from work, once emptied. I suspect I’ll be getting better acquainted with neighbours further down the road, as I retrieve boxes and sacks from their hedges/trees/windscreen.

The access to recycling centres still infuriates me though. I live within a district council area, but right on the boundary adjoining a city council. The city council’s recycling centre is about 5 miles from me. The district council’s centre is over 12 miles away. Of course, since I don’t pay council tax to the city council, I am not permitted to use their facilities. Several years ago they invested in ANPR cameras to be able to prevent use of the facilities by people who don’t pay their council tax to the city council, and regularly turn people away who try their luck. The geography of the two council areas mean that there are also city council residents for whom the district council facilities are closer and more convenient. Given their investment in the technology, you’d think that they’d be able to come up with some kind of reciprocal arrangement whereby at the end of the year, they tot up how many visit’s they’ve had from each other’s residents and work out who owes who for the services provided. The current situation just seems to encourage inconvenienced parties to fly tip.

Premier Icon ratherbeintobago

@oldtennisshoes I did a FOI last year. If memory serves the local council spent £500k cutting verges.

Premier Icon chevychase
    Free Member

Whilst I absolutely agree in principle @mrhoppy this:

Is utopian thinking.

If we moved to a low-waste economy and everyone was on the same page this would work.

But it *doesn’t*. Demonstrably. As shown by the massive uptick in fly tipping and rubbish thrown at council collection points etc. etc.

A certain reality needs to dawn on local government thinking. And pragmatism needs to rule – we need to see the world as it is, not as we *want* it to be.

Local government idiocy and unwillingess to deal with reality is resulting in trash everywhere.

To give an example: I live a very low-consumptive lifestyle with my partner (who at one point was an ecologist). No kids. In the Conwy Valley.

I’m burning rubbish because the collection facilities and home disposal are inadequate for the two of us. They closed the local recycling points so it’s an hour’s round trip to the council tip – where you have to book your slot and there are severe restrictions on what you can dispose of. Even as a householder.

Burning rubbish. Not recycling. Through lack of reasonable choice and council utopian idiocy. And everyone’s at it – if you ride through our tiny village of a weekend you’ll see three or four fires on the go. And it’s not just farmyard burning – but household stuff.

Of course, Conwy council is patting itself on the back for meeting or exceeding it’s recycling targets. Which it does, with aplomb.

Unfortunatley the targets are bunkum and made of this utopian thinking that means every ride I have to stop and use the clearwaste app.

This is nothing new. We knew what the problem was in the 1980’s when fly tipping was rife. The solution was to make council tips free to all and put recycling points everywhere.

Now we’ve started charging again restrict where people can dump their crap. Fly tipping is again rife.

It’s unconscionable. We know the solution – fund all refuse disposal through general taxation. Waste creation is an unfortunate part of our current human lifestyle – we need to cater to the reality.

No whining about commercial waste getting a free ride – all of this needs to be priced into goods, baked into products up-front – and taxed that way. NOT enforced on end-users.

Council disposal facilities should be plentiful, free and take *all* waste.

Nothing else works. Period.

Premier Icon batfink

And not wanting to be contrary, but there have been quite a few studies showing very little relation between the removal of communal facilities such as this and an increase in fly tipping. Most flytipping is done by shady arsehole companies, and usually not by single domestic properties.

I was going say this….. I’m pretty sure that the people doing the fly tipping are not doing so because the recycling facilities have been removed from their local Tesco car park. They are doing it to avoid paying for the disposal of trade waste. I don’t think “enforcement” is a practical solution to fly tipping (I wish it was) – making trade waste 100% free is the only way to reduce fly-tipping as much as it’s possible, but there will still be people that do it. But “reducing as much as possible” is still a desirable outcome – but it all depends what price tag you are willing to accept for that outcome.

I’d 100% agree with @chevyChase above – this aim of driving change in peoples behaviors through whittling-back services is just an excuse to cut spending and disguise it as being virtuous. Even if you do give them the benefit of the doubt (that this why they are really doing it) that just makes them stupid/naïve rather than disingenuous.

In our house, we’ve seen a marked decrease in our general waste volume since we’ve been recycling soft plastics. There’s a scheme over here (Australia) whereby you can drop these off at your local supermarket – but (perhaps by design) the collection point is actually INSIDE the supermarket, so maybe it limits abuse? Having seen the volume of plastics being recycled rather than ending up in landfill, it does annoy me that this isn’t a curbside collection (even if it does need another coloured bin).

I fully understand the argument that recycling centers are not particularly cost effective – so ok: what are you using that same money for that is more effective, or makes it easier for people to recycle? Or are you just removing something (which IS being used) and replacing it with nothing?

Premier Icon Sandwich

From this month they will be collecting glass and a much wider range of plastic.

Excellent news. For a comparison and to underline my point of a lack of joined up thinking we are no longer permitted to put organic kitchen waste in our compostable bin. It has to go into putrescibles and thence landfill. That’s a practical demonstration of Manager A saving budget but offloading the spend on Manager B.

Premier Icon mrhoppy

I’m burning rubbish because the collection facilities and home disposal are inadequate for the two of us.

Quite simply you aren’t living as low consumption life as you think or you are not using all of the options available to you. And if you do you should be considering your behaviours. You’ll forgive me if that sounds blunt but I worked for many years responding to just those issues with residents and helping them. Unless you and your wife are both suffering from adult incontinence in which case there will be support measures in place.

It’s not massively surprising that there are booking systems at the CA sites, it’s a Covid control measure that has been put in place to allow the sites to operate.

Yes there are limits on what they accept and some things that are charged for but local government is getting to the point that it is having to make a decision on which statutory services can be maintained and which can be cut back to the bare essentials.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.