Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • lobbing my garmin 1030 in the bin – whose got an element roam?
  • ta11pau1

I have no idea how that’s relevant! Or are you telling us you need turn by turn directions for riding 6 miles? 😂

I haven’t crashed that many times, the wahoo bolt has crashed/frozen up once in the 1500 miles I’ve done with it 😉😁

Basically, it just works!

trail_rat
    Free Member

But then so does my 735xt

Sample size of 1 is crap.

Fwiw I watched a large portion of the riding group move to wahoo as it was much better.

Nearly all are back on a Garmin of sorts.

But I wholeheartedly agree with never buy a new model or a top of the range one*…you will have issues…..

* I realise that’s against the over analysers must have the best most features brigade on here…..

ransos
    Free Member

My Edge Explore connects reliably to my phone and the android app has been fine. Maybe I’ve been lucky…

Fantombiker

Thanks for all the info. Wahoo roam ordered. Garmin is going on eBay!

redmist
    Free Member

Just goes to show experiences can be quite contrasting – I very quickly warranty returned two Lezyne units (one wouldn’t even turn on out of the box) so would never recommend them, hopeless. In contrast I have had 3 successful years with a Edge 520 and 235. Once I had a mid ride restart and very occasionally need to re-pair the Edge, but in general I have found it just works. Unfortunately this doesn’t answer your question because I’ve never tried a wahoo!

rezis
    Free Member

My Garmin 1000 hasn’t been perfect but really not bad and always pairs to the cadence, speed, power meters and the radar rear light perfectly. Normally it updates over WiFi with no problems. My Edge 25 and Vivoactive often need a phone reboot but my version of Android doesn’t like the power drain of an app always looking for devices so I think this causes some issues.
    Overall I think Garmin is slightly better than the Lezyne my daughter uses and the same as the Elemnt Mini my wife has. Can’t comment on the other Wahoo devices as I haven’t used them…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Must be, as there’s folk like me have never had an issue via android, ditto others on IOS.

For balance, I’ve been a long term Garmin User for years.. and the software is crap. The Edge works, but creating routes is so convoluted that it’s easier to use MapMyRide to create the route then load that to the device then just use the record activity then sync it to Connect…

Mates have just bought the Quatix5 watch, being new to Connect they’re asking the same questions we’ve been asking of Garmin since 2010..

I did tell them, but they didn’t listen.

I agree that the devices are pretty good, it’s essentially the same software running in the different model types, and the packaging does make the purchaser feel all Shiny = Good… But the syncing will be the main bugbear and thats a shame.

I just think Garmin want to sell Shiny stuff and ignore the backend, because infrastructure is costly. Making Shiny is relatively cheap.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Never used connect to plot a route in anger as it’s not got proper mapping and the mapping it does have doesn’t seem to correlate with reveal maps.

Bike hikes still my route plotter of choice thanks to its os map capability. – gpx export to computer and then import to connect. It then syncs with my device easily. That has been the case wether edge 500 , 735xt or etrex

When I tried connect and sent to the etrex the route didn’t align with the os map on screen so was not inspired with confidence in the slightest

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘lobbing my garmin 1030 in the bin – whose got an element roam?’ is closed to new replies.