Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • ln hospital getting my appendix removed in the morning
  • Stainypants

posting from the tv by the bed. how long before i can ride? just waitng for the morphne to kick in.

Flaperon

Cheer up, it could be worse. You could be at work (like me, yawn, still got a 12 hour work day ahead…).

Keyhole?

rOcKeTdOg

Cheer up it could be worse, I could be testing your removed appendix at work on Monday

allthepies
    Free Member

Cheer up it could be worse, I could be removing your appendix with a rusty penknife with you locked up in my basement.

Stainypants

its not too bad i can read singletrack and listen to bbc podcasts
    and keep my friends updated facebook for free from my bed. haven’t eaten for over 24hours. hopefully the impliments arent too rusty

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Good luck. I’m sure you’ll be fine

derp
    Free Member

Are you sure you need your appendix out? Might just have eaten something that disagrees with you 😀

hh45
    Free Member

i seem to remember the worst thing was no being able to laugh or sneeze for about 3 weeks afterwards. personally i quite like the scar but i expect they have got smaller since 1982, like most chocolate bars.

derp
    Free Member

Out of curiosity, how do you know you need it out? Just gets painful or something?

MrOvershoot

At least you will get some clean pants! All be it paper ones 😉

Happy healing

redthunder
    Free Member

Thoughts fly out to you dude.

Keyhole, my Dad had keyhole, more like the Tower of London key hole 😉

tang
    Free Member

cheer up mine burst. you’ll be right in no time, weather is crap, roll on spring as a reward!

smiffy

I got kicked by a horse a week after mine and it stayed intact, riding after a fortnight. I’d avoid gnarly stuff for a bit though.

catnash
    Free Member

Lucky they dont shave you above knee and below belly button like they used to do…….

mmannerr

Watch out for the scar, mine got infected and delayed recovery somewhat. Got mine removed in late November, they made 4 small cuts and they did hurt a lot for about 2 weeks, then some pain in some movements for next 3 weeks then all pains disappeared in about two days.

crikey
    Free Member

Official advice regarding any abdominal op used to be 7 weeks off from any even remotely heavy work. I had mine out after collapsing at work, as a nurse, in a hospital while working a night shift.

I spent 4 days in hospital, then was out on my bike two days later much to the annoyance of the district nurse.

I went back to work after 3 weeks off; I was bored.

I got paid for the full shift too…

mmannerr

Oh well, I only had 2 weeks off. 🙁

derp
    Free Member

I had mine out after collapsing at work, as a nurse, in a hospital while working a night shift.

Didn’t you see it coming/realise anything was wrong before you keeled over? What with being a nurse 😉

crikey
    Free Member

No, it just felt like bad stomach ache, then went a bit hot, then a bit cold, then keeled over, presumably after it perforated. I found out it had perforated the next day after the op; retro-caecal, lots of digging about, so biggish scar.

I used to work in the same operating department I was treated in, and woke to find exactly half of my pubic hair removed. I was expecting to wake up with a ribbon tied around my willy…

chiefgrooveguru

Having the interweb in hospital for my op last month made it so much more tolerable. So it could be worse, like a decade ago, or even worse, a century ago!

chiefgrooveguru

Wasn’t impressed by morphine, nowhere near as badass as I was hoping for – led to me recalibrating my pain scale. Hopefully it’s working better on you!

derp
    Free Member

No, it just felt like bad stomach ache, then went a bit hot, then a bit cold, then keeled over, presumably after it perforated

Oh, I didn’t know it could come on like that. I always thought it was like several days of feeling like you were getting punched in the abdomen so you got a bit of a warning before it went pop.

Learn something every day.

Stainypants

i was woken up by stomach cramps on saturday morning. i put it down to the couple of glasses of wine id had the night before or a bug thats going round where you get stomach cramps but no other gi effects. however after dosing on the couch for the morning my daughter jumped up on me and i realised the pain was quite localised and sensitive to pressure. so phoned NHS direct who when i described my symptoms said i HAD to go to the out hours GP. He wasnt sure so sent me to see the surgeon in AandE who also wasnt sure as i wasnt displaying all the symptoms. so they made me wait until last night but when they did go in it was severly enlarged and would have probably ruptured in the next few days.

so im laid here in significantly more pain than before the op the tramadol doesnt touch it but at least i haven’t got burst appendix. The strange thing is that 9 out of 10 times i wouldnt have called the docs and would have MTFU. its been a very bizarre few days. The only consolation is that i get 250 quid a night from my health insurance so thats a new lens and a gps.

derp
    Free Member

however after dosing on the couch for the morning my daughter jumped up on me and i realised the pain was quite localised and sensitive to pressure.

Someone deserves a trip to Disney Land 😉

marty_mayhem
    Free Member

Sounds like they got it in time! The Docs missed mine twice and the result was two weeks in hospital, and 4 months off work with a hole the size of a 50p left in my stomach for two months till it filled in! Good luck and im sure you will be back on the bike in no time!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘ln hospital getting my appendix removed in the morning’ is closed to new replies.