“LLS” 29er for 100mm forks?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • “LLS” 29er for 100mm forks?
  • Premier Icon Shackleton
    Subscriber

Having been riding my Banshee Prime lots over the last 2 years my Singular Swift feels too short and steep to be fun.

Is there such a thing as a long low slack 100mm 29er for xc /trail type riding to complement the yobbish behaviour of the prime? Most seem to be designed for 120mm.

Would be more than happy with a cheap steel frame.

Ta.

Premier Icon metalheart
    Subscriber

I think the Stanton Sherpa might fit that bill?

I rode mine with 100mm Fox Racing and it was more playfull than a mk1 SolarisMAX with 120mm X-Fusions… I think it’ll go to 120mm (but that 100mm was recommended? I’m sure someone will set me right about that if I’m wrong…)

I’m not sure I’d actually call it specifically that LLS personally (well not compared to the recent Cotics) but I think they would.

I’ve a large new gen (142mm axle) one lurking in the loft (with a mk1 SolarisMAX threatening to join it shortly…) that I robbed bits off to build up the FlareMAX with…

BTR Ranger although designed around 120mm could run with 100mm wouldn’t get any frame as LLS as that! But not cheap.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Custom Marino. LLS as you like, whatever fork travel you like, not mega bucks.

Premier Icon Shackleton
    Subscriber

Thanks all.

SolarisMAX has a properly slack head angle, the seat angle isn’t super steep and the bottom bracket isn’t all that low, so I can’t see any reason it won’t work well with 100mm forks.

Premier Icon hatter
    Subscriber

Is there any way you can get the forks converted up to 120 mm?

There’s loads of LSL frames out there designed for 120-130 travel and it’d hugely expand your options.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

SolarisMAX has a properly slack head angle, the seat angle isn’t super steep and the bottom bracket isn’t all that low, so I can’t see any reason it won’t work well with 100mm forks.

I know it seems to be the answer to all “which steel HT?” questions, but I think this might be a reasonable suggestion – if you use nice big 2.5 or 2.6in tyres anyway.

But as Hatter says, what’s the reasoning for the 100mm fork criteria? Are you GW in disguise?

Premier Icon Shackleton
    Subscriber

I just want to do a frame transplant really. I can’t afford anything major and the forks still work but can’t be adjusted (manitou tower). Wheels are oldish stans arch (24mm width) so not suited to fat rubber.

“I know it seems to be the answer to all “which steel HT?” questions, but I think this might be a reasonable suggestion – if you use nice big 2.5 or 2.6in tyres anyway.”

It does seem a very versatile frame, as long as you aren’t wedded to super short chainstays, ultra low BBs or super steep seat angles!

BB drop at sag with a 100mm fork will be 64mm, head angle 66.5, seat angle 74.5; or static it’ll be 56mm BB drop, 65.4 deg HA, 73.4 deg SA (basically the same as the sagged 140mm fork geometry).

You don’t even need big tyres as the BB is fairly high (in current terms) with 29” tyres, presumably because Cotic like pedalling up rocky trails in The Peak and because it’s designed to work with smaller diameter 27.5+ too.

It’s super similar in geometry to your Prime if you go down a size (looooooongshot geometry).

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Is your existing kit all non-boost? QR rear?

Since you’re looking to do it on the cheap-ish, you might be better with an older frame and slackset and maybe go up a size so it’s long-ish.

Premier Icon metalheart
    Subscriber

Cotic website states minimum 120mm forks on the SolarisMAX…

Not exactly sure why mind…

After my rec I looked up the stanton website, states HA of 68 at 120mm, hmm, hardly slack these days… 🤭

I’m now running a new On-one Big Dog with 100mm forks, because that’s all I have for it and anyway, I wanted something xc for commuting, easy local rides and packing. As it happens, I also have a 2018 SolarisMax with 140 coil forks and they’re quite different beasts.
    The Big dog is proving better than I’d hoped at everything so far. The inclusion of a shimmed 27.2 Thomson seatpost is probably helping with trail comfort plus the top tube is surprisingly zingy. For the real old skoolers, it can also be set up 2×10; the port for a stealth dropper is low enough that a high clamp, forward pull front mech sits higher up the seat tube.

Premier Icon riklegge
    Subscriber

Last Fast Forward too.

Premier Icon Shackleton
    Subscriber

Some good suggestions, thank you.

Premier Icon frogstomp
    Subscriber

@Shackleton – The On One Big Dog is listed as being ok for a 490-500mm rigid fork and I think the Tower has quite a tall axle-to-crown so it may work – drop them (or @brant) a message and I’m sure they’ll be able to advise whether it would work.

You could also try something like the Niner Slacker Puck which will slacken the head angle and add to the stack at the same time. That would maybe open up the options to 120mm frames?

Premier Icon Shackleton
    Subscriber

Cheers Simon, good suggestions.

Premier Icon singlespeedstu
    Subscriber

Last Fast Forward too

There’s no way on earth my last fastforward would work with a 100mm fork on it unless I took the cranks off and fitted footpegs

Premier Icon riklegge
    Subscriber

There’s no way on earth my last fastforward would work with a 100mm fork on it unless I took the cranks off and fitted footpegs

Fair enough, I forgot about the 100mm fork bit.

dumbbot

You should buy/rescue metalhearts Sherpa.

Premier Icon Shackleton
    Subscriber

Would love to but it isn’t really any different reach to the frame I’m replacing.

Shackleton, are you anywhere near Dundee?

Premier Icon Shackleton
    Subscriber

@Highlandman – I live in Dundee………

@Shackleton, Sorry for slight delay, just back from the hills. How do you PM on this forum…? Give me a shout and you can have a shuftie at the Dog. It’s at work, west end of town today and will be again on Friday.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.