Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Llandegla ~ Still good fun?
  • ready

Heading to the ‘Degla tomorrow, as I haven’t been for a few years.  Is the black/red still a decent ride?  Anyone know what the current trail conditions are like?

TIA

grum
    Free Member

Are you new here? It’s not OK to like Llandegla on here.

(But yes, it’s fun – sounds like there might be new black bits since when you were last there)

ready

Nice one, thankyou grum.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what do the STW massif think is wrong with it?  Did someone once have a dodgy burger or something?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    slowbloke
    Free Member

As far as I can tell it’s because the car park has T5s in it and there are too many people not riding Santa Cruz bikes but standing around in the car park with them or something…..

Or it may have been something to do with IT managers and golf – it’s easy to lose track TBH

jekkyl

All trail centres are awesome, ones in Wales doubly so!

Love that raised boardwalky bit at degla, the one where when you’re on it you realise there’s a bit of a steep drop at the end but you don’t see it until you’re on it… then you roll off it and realise….no danger!

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s a bit tame if you’re riding an enduro weapon, but it’s decent enough with some nice singletrack and a few jumps.

flyingmonkeycorps

I really enjoy Llandegla, we usually do it on the way to or from bigger stuff in North Wales. We’ve always done the black options rather than the red though, so I’d definitely recommend that. Nothing that’s not rollable but some great jumpy swoopy bermy trails.

The end of the red always seems really underwhelming after the blacks.

jonnym92

Wouldn’t be my choice now but it’s fun, you can go fast. Prefer it on my hardtail than the full sus. The black is not a black. The cafe is great. Enjoy.

Some parts of the trail were closed when I rode it sometime around Christmas, I think they were doing some felling, unsure if it’s still the case.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s a great day out, just be sure to say you only enjoyed it ironically afterwards, that it’s all too easy and it’s full of rubbish riders on expensive bikes their lack of talent didn’t *justify* etc etc.

I don’t actually know why it’s become the whipping boy for all Trail Centres, or even why some people have to shout so loudly about it – it’s a nice way to spend the day and there’s a nice cafe there. If I HAD to moan there’s a bit of a pong to the bit behind the centre, but at least it lets you know you’re nearly back I suppose.

Trimix
    Free Member

Like all trail centres, you just add speed till you get to the level of fun you want.

At the moment when most of the country is wetter than an otters pocket, trail centres are guaranteed fun.

ThePinkster

Hopefully they’ll have cleared all the snow that’s been blocking the entrance by tomorrow. It was at least 3 feet deep*  when I drove past on Monday.

*this may be a slight exaggeration, but it was quite deep.

nickc

went in Jan and bits were still shut as per jonnym92, might be worth checking out the one planet adventure site for details

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s listed as closing 6pm except Weds (9pm), is that the car park or the shop? Or both?

Might head over one afternoon/eve for a couple of laps.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I like trail centres (runs and hides….) but I’m not a massive fan of Llandegla. I enjoy the black but once that’s done it feels like a slog back to the car. I still ride there a bit because it’s convenient to meet people etc.

jekkyl

the drive to it is awful though… twisty A-roads and tractors!!
    and woe betide you if you need the toilet between the M6 and Degla, trying to find a garage with a public toilet and if not then a little cutting somewhere out of sight of the road! lol. *anguished face*

bails

Hopefully they’ll have cleared all the snow that’s been blocking the entrance by tomorrow. It was at least 3 feet deep* when I drove past on Monday.

*this may be a slight exaggeration, but it was quite deep.

I went last weekend and the drive there was fine, there was a little bit of slush on the highest trails but nothing problematic.  I don’t know if it’s snowed there since though.

emac65
    Free Member

It’s fine & decent enough for a few hours,but it’s been slagged off on here since the day it opened, & especially so by the SS rigid Inbred Conti Vert Pro brigade 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Because it’s smooth it’s criticised for being boring by riders who aren’t fit enough to ride it fast enough to make it exciting 🙂

Trimix
    Free Member

There is nothing* that can’t be improved by the addition of speed 🙂

* trail center related

kimbers

Fun trails, best trail centre cafe in the UK

Kimbers seal of approval

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I don’t actually know why it’s become the whipping boy for all Trail Centres,

That’s because it hasn’t. People diss llandegla because of the deficiencies of llandegla, not trail centres in general. Llandegla is stupidly overgraded and technically dull. That’s why it gets dissed. It’s basically a BMX track.

Having said which it IS damn good BMX track. I’ve loved taking my kids there from -0.75 to 12 years of age and watching them develop their skills. Some of the swoopy bits are lots of fun.

I just wish they’d add some [optional?] bits of technical interest or take down the bullshit signs about black runs.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Llandegla ~ Still good fun?’ is closed to new replies.