Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Llandegla – Ruined
  • butlerjamesp
    Free Member

I’ve been to Llandegla today, and they have reopened the section after the 3 mile climb, and i have to say that they have taken a rather nice, narrow rough section and created a smooth double-tastic monstrosity in it’s place. Does anyone else share my viewpoint that the recent “improvements” have taken away from what was once a rather nice trail?

wrecker
    Free Member

Always drag your back tyre along the sanitised bits. Hopefully they’ll get bored of “repairing” it and let it be.

iolo
    Free Member

RustySpanner

That was my favourite bit.
    Sharpened you up nicely, reminded me of Penmach, if you squinted.

Still like the place though, always pick up some free water bottles near the end and playing ‘All The Gear’ bingo in the carpark is fun.

Great place.

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

not thought of that wrecker, but then i will have to buy new tyres! I do think i am in the minority though with feeling that my wheels should spend all their time ON the ground, i thought that was why we bought full suspension machines!

dazh

I rode it on Sunday and quite liked it. If you want rough stuff Llandegla is not the place to go. It won’t stay that way for long though. I remember when they first did that new jumps section (parallel universe?) it was as smooth as a bmx track, but it soon became a bit rougher with a bit of traffic.

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

i suppose the winter will cut it up a bit plus the weekend warrior crowd will no doubt be there in their droves since it’s only a couple of hours from the big cities.

tomj
    Free Member

Here’s an idea. If you like Llandegla then go and ride there. If you don’t then ride somewhere else and save your £4. I’m not sure if one short section of a 20km route makes or ruins a trail anyway

tops5
    Free Member

I hate it when they smooth it out but did enjoy the cheeky little slab/drop off thing at the top (used to be a log)

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

i dont pay to go there, i ride up as it’s only 5 miles away, that’s what i used to enjoy tops 5, was a nice section to get the blood flowing after the climb. I do understand why they do these things though, at least it isn’t slippy when wet like cannock is!

Northwind

butlerjamesp – Member

i dont pay to go there

Probably getting your moneys’ worth then eh. I can see why you feel entitled to complain.

bigmick25
    Free Member

at least it isn’t slippy when wet like cannock is!

Oh no a trail that’s slippy when wet, what is the world coming too 🙄

julians
    Free Member

The ‘remodelled’ section is about 400 metres out of a 19000 metre trail, i’d hardly say it’s ruined the whole llandegla trail.

Having said that, I did prefer the old rough bit to the new smooth bit. It still a great trail though.

hora
    Free Member

Llandegla is a great place if you are a very quick, jumpable/airtime rider and newbies.

Everyone in between…..hmmmm

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Trying to visualise this, is it at the top of the initial climb, or the exposed bit over to the back of the hill?

I’ll be honest I don’t remember a rough bit of Llandegla. Not trying to Troll, but it did strike me as a trail center for people who like trail centers.

julians
    Free Member

Trying to visualise this, is it at the top of the initial climb, or the exposed bit over to the back of the hill?

It the exposed bit over to the back of the hill. ie you do the 3 miles climb, go down the first swoopy bit, up a little bit, over 3 or so table tops, then round a berm to the right, then its the next section that we’re discussing here that has been remodelled.

D0NK

Llandegla is a great place if you are a very quick, jumpable/airtime rider and newbies.

I’m none of those but I quite enjoy visiting occasionally (once or twice a year, not been this year tho) Fast, manicured, bermed so you barely have to brake, lumps in the right places to pump the ground for free speed, a few jumps for people like me who can’t jump and some drops aswell. Really liked the B line when we were there last year.

timc
    Free Member

It was an Ok bit of trail (hardly something special) which has been modified, hardly ruined the place ffs

Mugboo

It sounds fun to me 🙂

TrekEX8
    Free Member

I rode it today as well.
    The changes have made that section smoother and faster; not sure which I prefer really, but I don’t think they’ve ruined the trail!

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

I ride degla way too often because it’s close to home and I enjoy it!!! It getting huge numbers of riders and I think they do an amazing job of keeping the trails in useable condition never mind attempt to improve.
    I’m sure I read somewhere that the section we are talking about want finished and won’t be till spring due the the weather???

bullandbladder
    Free Member

That section always seemed better before they cut down all the trees. I don’t know if the trail sufferered more erosion due to more exposure, or whether it was just how I perceived it as a rider. Perhaps it felt faster with the tunnel-vision effect.

Can’t see a bit of resurfacing having ruined it though.

SOAP
    Free Member

I go to degla to ride fast on smooth pumpy jumpy trails.
    That’s what they offer and I love it.

nosedive
    Free Member

its not just smoother, there are more turns in that section now. more fun i think

ThePinkster

Not been there for a while – is this the Somme section that you’re talking about?

Nick

I’m thinking about going up there at the weekend, riding up from the Ponderosa past the masts and entering the forest somewhere along the climb, makes the Cafe about the half way point on the ride.

Haven’t been there for at least year, if it’s the bit I think you’re talking about it was a nice bit of trail, looking forwards to seeing how it’s changed.

adrec
    Free Member

It’ll wear nicely over the winter. I quite enjoyed it a couple of weeks ago. Do the mast climb/decent if you want a bit of rough

mcnultycop

The roughness of that bit (rough being relative) was a nice break from the smoothness of the rest of the place.

I won’t be going there of a while then. (Just because I’m not working round the corner like I was all summer though).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I remember when it was smooth when it was a lot newer. We got used to the rough you will get used to the smooth. It did seem it was just let go after the forestry work and has just got washed out.

Rorschach
    Free Member

fivespot
    Free Member

it will soon get cut up with chavs heel draggin and face plantin 😆

patriotpro
    Free Member

Out of all the trail centres I have ridden, I would rather have Llandegla as my local if I had the choice.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I do (4 miles)….I’d prefer having somewhere else (Laagan preferably)

rickon
    Free Member

Laggan is my local trail center, and its great, but that bloody fire road climb to the descents is annoying.

So I ride local trails instead.

Painey
    Free Member

playing ‘All The Gear’ bingo in the carpark is fun

Because those who play social games of one-upmanship are soooo cool…

grum
    Free Member

I really don’t remember this supposed rough bit. Probably my 6″ steed flattening it out anyway. 😉

I love Llandegla – it’s ace fun. It was nicer with the trees here but hey ho.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Rorschach – Member
    I do (4 miles)…

You’re lucky.

RustySpanner

Painey – Member

playing ‘All The Gear’ bingo in the carpark is fun

Because those who play social games of one-upmanship are soooo cool…

Oh get over yourself, people watching is fun.
    It’s not done maliciously and we’re laughing at ourselves too. 🙂

It started one afternoon after we were getting changed next to our car.

A couple pulled up in a BMW tourer (this was a couple of years ago, when Audi’s were still considered a bit suspiciously individual).
    She got out, retrieved a pair of Afghan Hounds from the boot and took them for a walk.
    The bloke stripped off, put his bike gear on and rode his carbon Scott full susser to the cafe.
    We went for a coffee too.
    Twenty minutes later he was joined by his Mrs. They both walked back to the car where he stripped off again, the bike went onto the roof, the dogs went back into the boot and they drove off.

If I hadn’t seen it myself, I wouldn’t have believed it.
    I can provide witnesses. 😀

As I said, I like the place, it’s fun to ride and it’s always great to see so many different types enjoying themselves.

I even managed to get one of bike shop staff to smile once too.

smartay

If its too smooth then start riding rigid

schnor
    Free Member

^^ it’s pretty good on a CX (not done the black on it though). I live >6 miles away and I’ve done it to death TBH, which is why I’ve only gone three times this year and not at all on my MTB.

I can see why people really like it OR hate it though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Llandegla – Ruined’ is closed to new replies.