Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Llandegla new black
  • ollie
    Free Member

Now that's fun, Very flowing with some big tabletops, doubles etc. Not to keen on the rocky bit about 3/4 of the way down as it seemed to spoil the flow a little bit and on my second lap It had rained and they were slippery as hell , Still great fun though.

They are certainly putting a lot of effort in at Llandegla and deserve praise for a fine bit of work.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Been down it quite a few times 😉 . Quite wide, good to work up to bigger and bigger airs.

Rocky bit needed to be harder to make it worthwhile IMO…

…but great to have more to go at. The new blue section is good as well.

Cheers
    Paul

chiefP
    Free Member

I quite like the Rock Garden even if it does rattle the bones, suprisingly it flows really well too. Cant wait (its wil be a while yet) until all the new black opens 😀

julians
    Free Member

Where does the new section start from?

fivespot
    Free Member

julians, it starts in the 1st of the big black runs, about half a dozen turns in there is a tight lefthand bermed turn around a tree, instead of taking that turn, just got straight up the bank/berm and your on it 😉

ollie
    Free Member

Where does the new section start from?

It starts near the beginning of the current black run ( where the red and black split ) You can't miss it.

EDIT : damn too slow.

AlexSimon

There's a big signpost, but it you're focussing on the berm, I guess it's easy to miss.
    It was great although I did have a really flat landing off the jump just before the rocky bit and punctured. Great to have somewhere where you can really get into a rhythm of jumping. Such floaty jumps!

scottidog
    Free Member

Is this the 'freeride' line? Been looking forward to this opening for a while. I thought it started up by the pump track

grumm
    Free Member

scottidog – nope this a new bit of the XC loop. I rode it a few weeks ago – pretty sweet. 🙂

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Is Llandegla worth a trip then? Not been for a good 3 years when I thought it was one big boring climb, some excellent super quick singletrack and then a boring slog back to the car park.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Might go down this afternoon and check it out

hora
    Free Member

DaveyBoyWonder I'd say a big yes.

TBH the old Llandegla just wasn't worth an hours drive IMO.

Its got enough there now (and coming) to make me want to go back.

The roll in halfway round is good to 🙂

Plus at the end you go for a play in the skills area 😀

Ps. I didn't bother with the Cafe though. They seem to have a lot of employees with a huge and slow-moving queue. That I can't understand.

I walked in and the tables had maybe 5 people there but the queue was huge. What gives?!

steve_b77
    Free Member

T'was good fun

AlexSimon

I think the problem with the queue comes from Coffee making. It's a shame they don't just have someone permanently doing coffee with a ticket system like the food.

AlexSimon

BTW DaveyBoyWonder I would say that it's still a bit like that. The fun is definitely in the middle. But they are working on the other bits. The thing for me though is that the middle is just sooo addictively good, that it keeps sucking me back.
    The skills course and pump track are great additions, but that last section with the ridiculous-looking logged and stoned tabletops looks like it will be fantastic.

hora
    Free Member

Its always been like that though. Ever since I can remember.

Shame really, the service (when you finally get to speak to someone 😆 ) alone put Coed-Y-Brenin utterly to shame.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

We were there last week in the glorious sunshine. The new bits are very sweet and flowing and yes, that new finish looks huge.

The skills area is probably better than the pump track. I even got my wheels off the ground… but was admittedly being egged on by the two lads I'd brought over for their first visit (who absolutely ragged the red and black on their single speed jump bikes). Great fun all round.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Is there an option to loop around and do the fun stuff twice?

Kevevs
    Free Member

cool. Going on Fri or Sat. Just to the cafe 🙂 Bring on the baps!

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Is there an option to loop around and do the fun stuff twice?

Yes. Have a good look at their map. Take a fire road back up to loop the first black and red wooded single track sections. Take Offa's Dyke to loop back to near the top of the main climb to repeat more of the exposed sections.

AlexSimon

I think two loops of the middle sounds like a great way to do it. Especially as there are now two alternate lines down the first black.

fivespot
    Free Member

DaveyBoyWonder, yes as clarkpm4242 said, you can pick up trail maps from the centre (I still think their free) shuv it in yer backpack, and away to go 😉

portlyone
    ollie
    Free Member

Thanks for the vid.

I can't wait to get back up there later for another bash.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I'm off there on thursday with a mate, last rode it about the same time last year, so looking forward to it, first "proper" ride since last december, so fitness is awful unfortunately.

AlexSimon

Fitness isn't so important. Take it very very easy up the climb, use all your energy on the fun bits, then drag your sorry carcass back to the cafe for refueling.
    If I've been off the bike for a while I often go to Llandegla to get a quick injection of swoopiness.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Found it pretty underwhelming tbh. They're getting better at it,the switchbacks are much better. Some of the other new stuff looks more promising.

Matt-P
    Free Member

I enjoyed it tonight, still a bit of the wide and fast feel to it but seems to flow well, nice use of the short climbs before the turns to save having to brake. I agree the rocky bit feels a bit out of place, and will be fun when covered in greasy mud, but overall a worthy addition and adds a bit of interest back to the centre.

Now can't wait for the freeride finish

M6TTF
    Free Member

watched the video on Bikeradar – looks fun although the 'rockgarden' looks a bit tame, I've ridden tougher patios!

AlexSimon

I'm not sure there's any fun to be had from that rock garden. On my 80mm hardtail it made my teeth rattle. On a decent full sus, it would just be like rolling down some steps. Shame it's just a straight line really.

The qualifier took me by surprise though – one minute I was in the air, getting ready for a typical Llandegla smooth landing, the next I gave out a small yelp as my rear tyre caught the drop and my front plunged into the flat area in front of it. Don't really know how best to tackle it next time.

toons
    Free Member

Got a photo of the qualifier?

tops5
    Free Member

I found the "rockgarden" interesting in the rain on Tuesday – very slippy! I agree it will be pretty tame in the dry though.

Not being much of an air merchant, I think I like the original run with jumps more my size and fun little drops.

BMC09
    Free Member

went up today to give it a bash, so much fun i looped back up and hit it again, much quicker, rocks slippy when wet, but nice change of pace, video doesn't do it justice, great addition.

LlangollenHostel
    Free Member

Love Llandegla! Excellent trails. (I know some people here knocked the cafe, but the food is great!)

Euro
    Free Member

Looks like a fun trail. The jumps look too small i.e. the distance between takeoff and landing and it’s never a black trail – more a light pink. Not yet sampled Wales yet. Must do it soon.

RockyRobin
    Free Member

Love Llandegla (cafe) great burgers, great cakes, great coffee, great service…love it!!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Llandegla new black’ is closed to new replies.