Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Llandegla Blue Climb
  • scottfitz
    Free Member

Is the Llandegla blue climb up a fireroad or wide enough to give my 5 year old a push/tow to the top if he is struggling with the climb?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Yes to both, I’m not 100% sure a 5yr will make it as there’s a fair chunk of elevation gain and it’s pretty steep in places.

scottfitz
    Free Member

That’s why I ask Steve he will be fine with the down but he will need a push of the steeper bits.

steve_b77
    Free Member

It’ll also be bloody cold at this time of year as it’s now very exposed. Take him on a lap of the green as it’s more midget friendly, then beans on toast and another go if he wants.

That’s what I’ve done with my lad when we’ve been, he’s also 5 and a very good (for his age) rider. He’s top 10 in Under 8’s cross in our region (North West League).

It’s also worth considering that the surface of the blue is pretty rough in places and may well bounce a little’un allover the shop on (I presume) a rigid 20″ wheeled bike.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Its for the Easter holidays so hopefully will be warmer by then. We will also will ride the MinorTaur at CyB on the same trip.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I wouldn’t count on it, Llandegla is the highest village in Wales and the first climb to the blue tops out a 533m above sea level on a exposed hill side with no tree cover anymore.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice Steve, in that case it might not be worth the trip for the green, its over an hours drive from where we are staying north of CyB.

lawman91

It gets bloody cold up there at the best of times now as Steve says! Just driving from Wrexham up to the car park the temperature dropped nearly 5 degrees last week, and it’ll be even colder as you get higher up. Green is the way to go and the cafe is ace, so wouldn’t discount it entirely

teenrat

if you’re north of CyB, why not just ride the blue minotaur trail

edit – just read your other posts properly doh

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Gotta disagree with most of the above. Fair enough, if we get 5 weeks down the line and Easter is Baltic then fair enough. But to discount it now is just stoopid.

Best bet with a wean is to go up the hill on the first fire road instead of the usual ‘singletrack’ . Basically go to the upper car park and keep going up up and up. Keep left at the one junction. You’ll see people in the trees on your left for about 2 miles and then the trail pops in from the left and off you go over nessie bumps.

We used the trailer up to that point when they were very small (4yo) , then at some point swapped to a tow rope.  The tow rope is not a good idea on the single track ascent due to the bends and huge numbers of people you’ll overtake😎. But on the fire road it’s ideal.

If you arrive late at easter then you may even find the top car park is full and they’re using the forest road as overflow, which gives you carte Blanche to drive up most of the first hill anyway👹

The blue from there should be pretty ok for a 5 yo.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I took my I was 6 yr old at the time around the blue last year in the summer.

The climb does go on a bit and I ended up pushing his bike up sections, if the top hadn’t have been where it was, there would have been tears I think.  He loved coming back down though, but even that was with stops as he isn’t used to braking for that length of time.

It is exposed though, not somewhere I would want to be with  a young kid if the weather turned bad

For balance though, I tried to get him to do the green and he said its was ‘boring’

AlexSimon

If you park at the very highest car par, you miss out the steepest parts of the climb.

Very easy to push them up to the top of the blue from there and it’s good fun once you head down, but on balance there are more child-friendly blues around. Both of mine loved it, but it’s much easier to have a good day out on the more rolly blues of CyB and Cannock.

The green is pretty rubbish to be honest.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Llandegla Blue Climb’ is closed to new replies.