Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • llandegla black section
  • wolfrider
    Free Member

Going to llandegla sunday and was wondering how hard the black sections are when compared to something like cannock red or hopton and what sort of features are on them? Just wondering because im off on holiday in 2 weeks and dont want to take any unnecessary risks. Thanks

justatheory
    Free Member

They can be as hard as easy as you like really. Most stuff is rollable.

steve_b77
    Free Member

If you ride fast and approaching your limits you might hurt yourself, if you don’t you might not

ThePinkster

Not hugely Black, more like Dark Purple.

Most of it is more like Red sections on a 7 Stanes trail, just watch out for the occasional piece that can jump up and bite you if you’re not paying attention.

mattjg
    Free Member

I don’t know the other trails you mention but everything at Ll is rollable and 90% of the surface is hardcored smooth gravel track.

There are a few bits of ‘shore’ (well, wooden trellis anyway), they are wide and easy to see in advance, they don’t have exit drops. There is one bit that is bridge shaped (up then down), to the left of the fireroad. You can’t see the exit when you start it but it’s just up then down. You can look at it from the fireroad first if you need to be sure.

There are no nasty surprises. Any competent rider should be able to do it all without drama or major commitment.

I’m a wheels-on-ground mincer and had no trouble at LL.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Be careful kids Llandegla’s dangerous.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXsMgfzfgbU[/video]

mattjg
    Free Member

lol ^^ that’s the bridge bit I mean.

steve_b77
    Free Member

GoPro’s, embarrassing middle aged men since 2009

I_Ache
    Free Member

He was only 28 then. That was a year ago this weekend, bloody hot it was too. I got killer sunburn going up Snowdon the day after that.

chiefP
    Free Member

Llandegla will probably be closed on Sunday looking at the current weather forecast for up here.

D0NK

do they close it then? not that I’m intending on battling the snow to drive there like….

eightyeight
    Free Member

Not sure I agree with it being ‘100% rollable’. There is one bit of northshore where there is 3ft-ish drop (a rooty tree to the left). Not sure how you would roll that?

Nothing dramatic, just one to watch out for

mulv1976
    Free Member

Just ride it like you ride any trail for the first time – enjoy it but be more aware. I wouldn’t class any of degla as being black really in comparison with say the beast at cyb but you can come a cropper anywhere if you don’t ride appropriately.

Degla is fast and fun, nothing too difficult. I find the boardwalk on the skills section at the start the hardest – I can’t seem to get my head round the skinny sections!

I_Ache
    Free Member

Not sure how you would roll that

You just scoop your bars and let the back wheel roll off it. Is that the bit after the long boardwalk above the boggy ground?

ThePinkster

That little drop at the start of the B-Line comes as a bit of a surprise, but I reckon that’s the worst of it.

mattjg
    Free Member

I don’t remember the bit 88 is talking about, I was there a month ago and thought I rode it all, so maybe I didn’t. I’d defo remember riding a 3 foot drop!

eightyeight
    Free Member

I think we’re talking about the same place I_ache, it’s 1.19 on this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwsKacRpKxQ

Ahh, now i see it from that angle, you can roll it if you’re going slow enough. Apologies. Still, one to watch for.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Heavy snow forecast here at Llandegla this weekend. The access road is trecherous in the snow so keep an eye out on the one planet website for weather updates.

patriotpro
    Free Member

I_Ache – Member
    Be careful kids Llandegla’s dangerous.

HA!!! Was on about that the other day but couldn’t find it!! Poor lad 😈

patriotpro
    Free Member

The trails are fine, it’s the local self-appointed trail-police you want to be aware of.

Just ignore them btw.

I’ve done it in all weathers, and it’s a bloomin great trail, especially the black-sections (more like double-red imo).

Just go and enjoy, ride it as fast or as slow as you dare and make sure you dress as storm-troopery as poss. 😉

proutster
    Free Member

Love the way that Neil Donoghue manuals some sections of that boardwalk, I tried that the last time I was there and very nearly ended up coming straight off the woodwork 😳

Did manage it on some of the small doubles later on and I confirmed to myself that I am a riding God (or is that just in my own mind?)

100mphplus
    Free Member

One thing that really annoys me about some riders is when they have to get off their bikes and walk down the rocks at the start of B Line onto the ‘northshore’ timber section, if you can’t ride down that you shouldn’t be going on the trail!

If it’s a black and you are not a ‘black standard’ rider then it’s not really acceptable for you to be ‘rolling’ along causing a road block!

I’m Def not the fastest out there but last weekend I had to haul on the brakes twice through the jumps as riders were bimbling along, one of them with 2 kids!!

eightyeight
    Free Member

proudester – yea he can ride alright, I did a skills day with him a couple of weeks ago. It wouldn’t surprise me if he did that video in one shot!

Consistently being able to manual is my everest. Sigh.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Yea that’s the bit I meant. Don’t think its 3 foot unless your a bloody good rider and can make the following corner when going as fast as Donny.

Your in that vid patriot. Right at the end your bars stand out like a sore thumb.

I’ve got another vid where my mate bottles it at the end.

proutster
    Free Member

eightyeight – yes, consistency of manuals is a real problem for me too. Sometimes the front only comes up by a few inches or so but then other times I’m panicking, grabbing the back brake to haul it back down.
    Just need to practise, I guess.

eightyeight
    Free Member

I’ve taken to riding flats (the worry of looping out while clipped it was ruining my concentration).

Practice makes perfect I guess.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

patriot pro:

The trails are fine, it’s the local self-appointed trail-police you want to be aware of.

100mphplus:

If it’s a black and you are not a ‘black standard’ rider then it’s not really acceptable for you to be ‘rolling’ along causing a road block!

patriotpro
    Free Member

dangerousbeans – Member
    patriot pro:

100mphplus:

bullandbladder
    Free Member

OP – Llandegla black options are probably easier than Cannock Monkey, mainly due to the better surface. It’s more open and flowy for the most part, meaning it’s faster than Cannock but less ‘technical’. Good fun all day long. Check Oneplanetadventure website for trail closures. It’s high up so gets a lot of snow.

HTH

chiefP
    Free Member

Yes the close the trails due to the good old H&S

Keep an eye out here for the latest http://www.oneplanetadventure.com/

It will 100% be closed tomorrow

Flintshire, Wrexham and Denbighshire in the firing line tomorrow. 10 to 15cm of snow possible at low levels. 4 to 6 inches. 20 to 40cm, 8 to 16 inches or more higher up.

On the Clwydian Hills and Berwyn Mountains well over a foot of snow is possible by the end of tomorrow with big drifts and blizzards.

That extends into Saturday so hardly doubt it will thaw that quick by Sunday

———————-

Agree with 100mphplus the start of B Line is frustrating when people get off and push down the rollable start (seen many roll it and not fall off) then get off again to get off the Northshore (seen many roll that too) and rider courtesy seems to be none existent these days and ride within your limit, it’s a good blast but made too easy for a Black section IMO.

philfive
    Free Member
    I_Ache
    Free Member

That bit looks amazing, where is it? We didn’t play around much the only time I have been (see above) so missed that.

RoterStern
    Free Member

It’s the freeride area

mattjg
    Free Member

Enjoyed that vid, I defo didn’t ride that bit!

tazzymtb

Yes the close the trails due to the good old H&S

health and safety at work doesn’t apply…unless you are an employee of one planet :roll:. Duty of care and Public Liability + fear of ambulance chasers does.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Just to confirm it is 100% close tomorrow? Im travelling from the midlands 🙁

I_Ache
    Free Member

I would expect so, they are expecting up to 40cm of snow overnight.

schnor
    Free Member

More than likely. I live on the other end of the mountain on the ruabon side and it normally shuts when there’s ~2cm (the access road isn’t gritted and the car park needs clearing by hand), and the Met Office are suggesting up to 40cm! It won’t clear by Sunday, they won’t be doing anything Monday (shut, but the car park guy is there), so maybe Tuesday at the earliest.

http://www.facebook.com/oneplanetadventure?fref=ts

p.s. not ridden there in months, may go back if i CBA

Rorschach
    Free Member

Not snowing ….yet.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Oh man 😡 i believe so as coed y brenin and FOD 🙁 …back to cannock then

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘llandegla black section’ is closed to new replies.