Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Llanberis slate quarries centre?
  • RustySpanner

I love the quarry, our climbing club hut is the old powder store.
    Plenty of room for everyone, but access issues have been contentious.

The quarry is a very important venue for climbing.
    Lets hope First Hydro, the cyclists and the climbers can coexist peacefully.

rhid

I think it would be brilliant, it would do Llanberis the world of good!

stever
    Free Member

Mm, no reason climbing and biking can’t co-exist. I see there’s been some hassle at Dali’s Hole since I was last there.

RustySpanner

Yep.
    The only bloody routes I can climb in the whole quarry are now fenced off.
    Sort of.
    🙂

There was an agreement in place that the security guards would ask you to leave, then they would go away.
    However, someone always has to spoil it and inappropriate use by large school and other groups was taking the piss a bit really.

I really hope the negotiations are handled sensitively by all involved – the quarry has an important place in UK climbing history.

More importantly it’s a reminder and a memorial to the thousands of people who worked and died there, in the most brutal conditions & for a pittance.

Personally, I’d hate the place to become over sanitised.
    I realise how much this could mean to the economy and as it only costs me £50 a year to stay there whenever I like, I’m looking forward to it.
    But a little selfish, nimbyish bit of me would like it to stay just the way it is.

Bet you a tenner they get Dave Brailsford to open it!

athgray
    Free Member

Wouldn’t fancy it in the wet though.

steveh

100k doesn’t build a centre or many trails or well much really. Could be good but not seeming to add up somehow.

RustySpanner

There’s supposed to be some outdoor development on the other side of the valley near the bomb store.

Not had a poke around recently but saw some artists impressions last year.
    Looked impressive.

oldnick

Les sounds like a barrel of laughs.

I do hope I cheered him up 🙂

stever
    Free Member

We did the fell relays on the other side of the valley this weekend. Lots of work and infrastructure gone into the Glyn Rhonwy business park there (not much evidence of tenants). Wonder how that was financed?

rhid

There is talk of a hydro electric scheme up above Glyn Rhonwy, I would have thought the lots that have been built there would service that? I think the council were responsible for that.

There is so much potential for making something great in that quarry that it would be a huge shame for something like this not to go ahead. Look at Blaenau and how successful that has become, no reason at all why Llanberis couldn’t offer the same.

iolo
    Free Member

This would be nice. They tried a few years ago but first hydro said no.
    They’re not normally known for they’re flexibility.
    Antur stiniog is the other side of town due to them.
    I wonder what has changed?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Llanberis slate quarries centre?’ is closed to new replies.