Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 4,166 total)
  • Liz! Truss!
  • binners

Picking sides or an eye on the future… watch this space

Patel jumped before she was pushed as Truss favours the Boris system of government. Sycophants and toady’s only and Priti hasn’t bent the knee quite enough to her new master

Apparently Mad Nad has been promised a seat in the House of Lords

ernielynch

if you take their dislike of the tories at face value

Oh they definitely hate the Tories, in fact it’s quite staggering just how much they hate Tories – they have driven all the Tory supporters off this forum. But it’s not for the reasons that you probably think it is. In many cases they also deeply dislike working-class people, the very people they purport to care about.

binners

Jesus! What’s it like, being you?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    squirrelking
    Free Member

Bringing things back on topic…

PJM1974
    Free Member

She’s like a heavily medicated Esther McVey.

Cougar

I often wonder if many of the supposed tory haters here are secretly quite happy with them in power

This doesn’t surprise me.

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

A few poundshop Joe Lycetts ..

Anyway looks like Lord Frost has gone “frosty” on Liz…

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Just for the record.. i hate the Tories on a level that negatively impacts my mental health, i live among the walking dead in Rishis constituency….

seosamh77
    Free Member

dazh
    the next election could well be much closer than many are predicting

Of course it will. With Starmer at the wheel labour have very little hope. A hung parliament at best. They’ll be a govt in name only at the behest of the SNP and Lib Dems. And all because Starmer is too frightened of the people he’s supposed to be standing up to.

Starmer will start making noise from now surely. It was fair enough not making too much noise during the leadership contest, as for one he’d just get drowned out and two, the tories have damaged themselves with that I think. Although as mentioned, she’s an easy out there to give herself some breathing room if she chooses to start at least. Though I doubt a price freeze will save her from everything, she’s got cost of living/inflation and unions to be dealing with too and plenty more, which are much more difficult tasks, I’m not sure her belligerent style is going to be helpful there.

And also as mentioned by binners the polls are massively in labours favour at the moment. Starmer from this moment now has to put himself on an election footing and get his message out there, the country is crying out for it.

So, I don’t agree a hung parliament is inevitable. The tories time is up really. It’s time for a labour gov, and England and Wales are more than capable of supplying the numbers for it. It’s happened 3 times in the last 25 years.

The big bad SNP running the show is really just tory campaign strategy/fearmongering from the mid 2010s that has little basis in modern history.

Daffy

The ONLY thing I find motivating about Liz Truss as PM is the hope that it’ll shorten the life of this Tory government.

dudeofdoom

When I saw her making her speech after the leadership election result I didn’t feel that I was watching someone with prime ministerial qualities, she just doesn’t radiate authorative confidence.

I’m sure I heard a touch of thatchers twang in that speech, where she talks deep.

Do you think she’s being having speech lessons to make her sound more like thatcha?

TBH I’m amazed just how bad she is with her public speaking,you’d have thought she’d have got a team to sort out all the little weird things she does and polished it out.

mattyfez

Back on topic, there are rumours she’ll freeze the energy price cap..

Only after it goes up in October presumably?

And how long for?

Will the £66 per month winter fuel allowance get canned off the back of that?

Place you bets now! BANZAI!

tjagain

I hate Tories with every fibre of my being because of the deliberate harm that they do.

Politics is not a game to me. I know who the enemy is

Both julie and i spent our entire working lives mitigating the deliberate harm tories do to people.

bruneep

Son is pissed off ss hes had his day off cancelled due to WM circus flying into Aberdeen  can they not do it over teams/zoom etc.

2 planes and all the cars and outriders etc

fasthaggis

We are about to find out how much Sunak left on the money tree,and how much can be thrown away.
    I am sure there will be some well funded ‘think tanks’ working on an energy solution.

tjagain

A friend drew this

igm

#MisTrustMsTruss

Sorry, open goal.
    Doubly sorry if it’s already been done.

Kryton57

A £40-£100bn price freeze to January ‘23 or ‘24 is being reported, albeit from borrowing. Let’s see if she pulls that off.

intheborders
    Free Member

Just for the record.. i hate the Tories on a level that negatively impacts my mental health, i live among the walking dead in Rishis constituency….

I reserve my real loathing for those that vote for them.

I too live in a Tory constituency, but based on the utterings I hear (via my Mum from her aged friends), I’m not sure that it’s a ‘shoe-in’ at the next GE. Although the demographics probably mean that Lamont will scrape in…

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/files/statistics/council-area-data-sheets/scottish-borders-council-profile.html#:~:text=In%202020%2C%20there%20were%20more,%25)%20living%20in%20Scotland%20overall.&text=In%20terms%20of%20overall%20size,with%20a%20population%20of%2035%2C136.

matt_outandabout

We are about to find out how much Sunak left on the money tree,and how much can be thrown away.

But this is the issue, as much as her politics or skills as a politician.

If we thought May or Johnson were taking the poisoned chalice, she’s got an even bigger set of issues.

She’s inheriting a basket case of of issues and economics. She’s got a divided party, a broken political system, a broken relationship with the 4 nations and a global situation that’s akin to lobbing turds coated in petrol at the situation.

If she is a skilled politician who can see the bigger picture, have some integrity and show a vision of the future that more people can get behind, she’s got an uphill and fighting chance.

But she has demonstrated none of those qualities in her career so far, least of all in the campaign of the last few weeks.

rone

The big spend from Truss for energy was always coming – whilst certain posters were whinging on about ‘uncosted’ impossible tax cuts weeks ago a few of us were saying the Tories will have to spend big to survive.

We said the precedent was there with Covid on how to fix economic issues with government spending.

Once again – Truss has been underestimated by lots of people. They formed an opinion based on sound bites.

The idea that she’s thick and stupid is ridiculous. She knows what’s she’s doing at least short term.

I’m not saying she will deliver everything successfully and it will be a Tory shit-show long term but she was always bound to take up power and enact some left-wing solutions – because that’s all there is. And she will make sure it beats Starmer’s plan. It’s a 2 for 1.

Let’s see the detail first though as it will be ring-fenced with neoliberal caveats.

Oh and yet again this will be operated through the lens of MMT without anyone admitting it.

dudeofdoom

ah we know a song about this 🙂

Boris to the left of me
    ERG to the right
    Here I am stuck in the middle with you

rone

Oh Christ! Here we go again. As this thread, like every other political thread, becomes ‘that thread’. Derailed, as always, by the Peoples Front of Judea/sixth formers

This is verging on absurd.

There is a clear connection between Truss’s decisions and Starmer’s future.

Seriously, get a grip.

rone

Do you lot not get this? If you really hate Truss and the tories so much then to get rid them you need to talk about what the opposition needs to do. Or is whining like children on an internet forum about how evil they are enough to distract you from the horror? Grow up FFS.

If Labour are going to win an election then they need to be the subject of conversation, not the tories. And not just on here, but everywhere. The fact that you have nothing to say about labour only illustrates why we will be stuck with the tories

It appears they will never get it.

dudeofdoom

The idea that she’s thick and stupid is ridiculous. She knows what’s she’s doing at least short term.

Yep, she will actually have someone doing the thinking for her in the backroom, she has to just pick and ride the right horse.

We’ve seen the government pony up shedloads of money for keeping the wheels on during covid and more importantly them in power.

They will literally spend anything to stay in power, its not about the country its about their grip on it and its not like they will pick up the tab.

crazy-legs

I reserve my real loathing for those that vote for them.

Well there is that but there’s also the horrendously biased FPTP system that ensures they don’t actually need that many votes in order to get into power anyway.

rone

But I refer you to the thread title, this isn’t the place to be discussing Labour when there’s twelvety other threads more suitable.

When have thread titles been that linear you can’t talk about related issues?

Actually these threads are utterly boring without some form of counter opinion.

Just using sound bites and photos to describe someone’s character is to coin a phrase – as thick as mince in itself.

molgrips
    Free Member

How intelligent she is is one thing – but how intelligent she appears is arguably more important for her career.

rone

A £40-£100bn price freeze to January ‘23 or ‘24 is being reported, albeit from borrowing. Let’s see if she pulls that off

It will be new money creation backed by Q/E.

So we call it borrowing – but the spend takes place first.

(I could be wrong but can’t see how else they would do it.)

rone

They will literally spend anything to stay in power, its not about the country its about their grip on it and its not like they will pick up the tab

Government spending is the correct idea to solve a problem like this. The government owns the BoE so it’s always the issued same methodology – never tax payers money.

How they implement though it is another thing.

Let’s see.

rone

Also I don’t think this speculative solution will get us out of the woods – it will just be a temporary fix that might keep us sailing along for a couple of years or so.

The Tories are not equipped to fix stuff long term.

That’s where Starmer should be setting his sights. Go big.

BillMC

The reported belligerent inflexibility and yet the u-turns and the tea, cheese and pork speeches do not suggest to me one of Westminster’s sharpest minds. However if she takes up the price freeze policy she’s outwitted the opposition who should’ve been arguing for the nationalisation of utilities.

igm

Energy-wise and long term it needs to be small scales renewables on a massive scale. Probably with some level of local storage. On the plus side that’s easy to target by socio-economic grouping.

Large scale renewables be cheaper per kilowatt hour generated but you then have the the reliability and distribution issues to address. Getting the power sources close to the user helps address this – and helps keep cash in the energy user’s pocket.  Still needs large scale stuff too – just not as much.

But we cannot be too reliant on foreign hydrocarbons (typically from dodgy places).

But that ain’t a short-term fix.

rone

The reported belligerent inflexibility and yet the u-turns and the tea, cheese and pork speeches do not suggest to me one of Westminster’s sharpest minds. However if she takes up the price freeze policy she’s outwitted the opposition who should’ve been arguing for the nationalisation of utilities.

Yep. And that’s where my emphasis is – everyone was lauding Starmer for his Robin Hood price cap but the Tories were always keeping one eye on this whilst everyone was calling Truss brainless.

She’s clearly all over the shop as she tries to please different groups of people, and situations are dynamic – what we need is for things to settle down about.

She’s going to be messy Tory for sure but not before she’s done some appeasing and spending. All I’m looking for is some action on the current situation.

If it’s not good enough I will be super critical then.

crazy-legs

She’s clearly all over the shop as she tries to please different groups of people, and situations are dynamic – what we need is for things to settle down about.

This. I’m still at a loss to work out what she’s saying that she actually believes and what she was saying that would help her get elected. There’s possibly an element of what her ERG puppet masters are telling her to say as well.

How much of it survives first contact with reality will be another matter altogether!

redthunder
    Free Member

The Game of Moans

We chat, we talk, we laugh and parody them all every day, and guess what they are still there and dont give a hoot about us lot.

Its so drepressing it hurts.

🙁
    Welcome to the Funtaverse.

the-muffin-man

A friend drew this

…living out a fantasy there!

crazy-legs

Her “idea” to solve the energy crisis is getting the response it deserves…

Still, why waste another good opportunity to siphon off billions for all your mates. New face, same old Tory corruption.

colp

Energy-wise and long term it needs to be small scales renewables on a massive scale. Probably with some level of local storage.

Slight thread derailment but I got a letter through yesterday from the Liverpool region mayor pushing this.

rone

Her “idea” to solve the energy crisis is getting the response it deserves

He like a lot of folk doesn’t understand government spending.

To talk about how the markets react couldn’t be a more failed right-wing economic position when the state is trying to solve a massive current problem. (Does he not already realise how bad the ‘markets are performing? If he’s so concerned by them.)

He’s taking the Centrist economic outlook that I would expect when you offer a left-wing bail out.

Centrists can be utter pains with their archaic Thatcherite economics.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 4,166 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.