• This topic has 4,342 replies, 353 voices, and was last updated 2 days ago by binners.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,241 through 1,280 (of 4,343 total)
  • Liz! Truss!
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

I’m intrigued by Rory. Says a lot of sense and manages to come across quite measured.

(In that interview. I don’t actually have a clue who he is)

colournoise

Cabinet apparently denying anything is their fault and discussing a range of issues other than the economy.

FML.

It really is hard to comprehend what this country has become, and I grew up during the 80s…

kimbers

Absolutely nuts

I always thought she was a loon tbh, and I was convinced the membership would never be stupid enough to vote her in

It’s jaw dropping

butcher

(In that interview. I don’t actually have a clue who he is)

He ran for Prime Minister against Boris Johnson. Got kicked out during the early stages for being too sensible (and being a remainer).

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Ta

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

The Mrs refers to her as Thatchers Goblin.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Have the tories not blamed the Labour conference and its announcements as the reason for the demise of the pound yet?

BillMC

Yep, it is the fear of a Labour government that led the money markets to devalue the pound but despite the polls putting Labour in the lead for quite some time they only noticed this possibility after the fiscal event.

martinhutch

Quite delusional. They are probably so fixated on the idea that 2bn of tax breaks for their chums couldn’t possibly lead to hundreds of billions of damage, while ignoring the withholding of the OBR report, which is the greater sin in terms of market trust and confidence. The enthusiastic embracing of national self-harm in the form of Brexit, plus the influence of the IEA, has already made the markets wonder about the calibre of our leadership, this just compounds it.

The principle that no sane Chancellor would directly borrow at a time when public finances are under immense strain simply to fund tax cuts for the wealthy, coupled with what seems like evasive opacity over official economic data, and the sacking of the Chief Secretary, are the triggers for this. Quite frankly, they think he and Liz are bonkers, in complete disregard of fiscal norms, and if they are happy to behave like this after a handful of days, what’s coming around the corner?

A key role of the Chancellor of the Exchequer is to reassure the markets about the solidity of leadership and good sense at the Treasury. Kwarteng has been utterly cavalier about it in his statements, and blasé about the consequences since.

Poopscoop

rumbledethumps
    Free Member
    The Mrs refers to her as Thatchers Goblin.

Margarine Thatcher.

Kryton57

cavalier about it in his statements

Wasn’t he the first person to swear on University Challenge?

argee

I’m starting to get the feeling that Truss, Kwarteng, et al are in place just now as a dupe by the tories, so that in 18 months they get replaced by Boris, Rishi and the old gang and people will be rejoicing in the streets at that prospect 😂

welshfarmer

Poopscoop says

Margarine Thatcher

Pook

Anyone enjoying Truss’ local radio jamboree? Radio Kent winning so far on giving her a roasting, but kudos to BBC Lancashire for stumping her when asked if she’d actually go to the fracking site.

0800 LEEDS
    0808 NORFOLK
    0815 KENT
    0822 LANCASHIRE
    0830 NOTTINGHAM
    0838 TEES
    0845 BRISTOL
    0852 STOKE

franksinatra

She obviously spent so much time preparing for the economy questions she didn’t prep for the fracking question on Radio Lancashire. Got properly pinned down on it.

kelvin

Do we get to hear some more from the people who said we were underestimating how well Truss was going to do at all this stuff as PM? She’s fluffing it up earlier, faster and more conclusively than I thought. She’s going to have to be in the fridge, avoiding any journalist worth their salt, for most of her time in the job, isn’t she.

trailmonkey

Rory Stewart is quite likeable.

He’s just another Public School, born to rule Tory with a despicable voting record on the NHS, Welfare and Tax.

The Difference with this one is that he was the right shade of Remain to beguile Centrists and make them believe that he was something else.

bruneep

oh dear that was painfully fun

trailmonkey

Yep, it is the fear of a Labour government that led the money markets to devalue the pound

Surely the hole in their own argument here is that there’s only likely to be a Labour Government in the future because of their own inabilities to govern 🙂

How stupid do they think people are to not be able to see that ?

scruff9252

That really sets the stall out on Lizzy.

She’s clearly not competent enough to even be questioned by a local radio host. How on earth does she expect to stand up to an actual political journalist? She’s going to avoid all interviews isn’t she? Will she be reduced to making announcements via TikTok?

kimbers

Truss told a very dangerous lie in 2 interviews today

She is wrong , bills are not capped at £2500

kelvin

Yup.

franksinatra

He’s just another Public School, born to rule Tory with a despicable voting record on the NHS, Welfare and Tax.

Not quite accurate. Read his books, look at what he was doing in his 20’s and 30’s and you will realise he has a better understanding of how the world works than most of us ever will. He genuinely is a world leading expert on the middle eat and on international and economic development (he is a fellow at Yale). He has spoken about his voting record and explained the whip system extensively. He was forced to vote for things he did not agree with to ensure he still got funding for his constituency and ministerial department. He hated that but at least he has explained it. He is a fascinating guy and potentially the best Prime Minister we will never have.

nickc

Rory Stewart is quite likeable.

Like many former MPs he’s now able to express opinions that would’ve been unwelcomed by party whips. As @trailmonkey suggests, he still voted with his party for some pretty harmful outcomes

duncancallum

He is an intelligent and interesting chap for sure.

trailmonkey

He has spoken about his voting record and explained the whip system extensively. He was forced to vote for things he did not agree with to ensure he still got funding for his constituency and ministerial department. He hated that but at least he has explained it

Sort of like saying ‘ Sorry I had to punch you in the face and nick your bike but my brother needs a new one and he’s bigger than me.’

tjagain

Still a tory tho. It shows how debased our politics has become that he seems so good and moderate

John Smith is the best prime minister we never had.

scratch
    Free Member

Anyone seen any evidence what so ever of how we move the low paid into high paid jobs as she’s prattling on about?

Im keen to tell my brother when he’ll be able to ditch his job as an agricultural labourer so he can become a junior in the financial sector

mrchrispy

Lot of time for Roy Stewart, very considered fella.
    he was kicked out of the leadership contest because he couldn’t help be honest and answer complicated questions with complicated answers (or say couldnt give an immediate answer as there was so much to consider) and people didnt have time for that. thats exactly the sort of politician we need

jp-t853

Rory Stewart was my constituent MP. I am naturally slightly left of centre so he was quickly known as Rory the Tory in our house. I was a bit pissed off that another candidate was helicoptered in to a safe seat as well.

In time I met him twice and was surprised that we had a lot of shared views. He actually worked really hard for the area unlike the new guy Neil Hudson who just takes credit for things that other people have done. As a working politician I had a lot of respect for Rory.

tjagain

Also apparently im going to be ” encouraged ” back into employment. Dunno what job im supposed to do tho with a body and mind damaged by 40 years no nursing but hey ho. Bicycle courier?

scruff9252

Still a tory tho.

Have a listen to his and Alistair Cambels podcast “rest is politics”. He comes across exceptionally well.

However to paraphrase, It shows how tribalism our politics has become that people automatically dismiss someone purely because of the colour of their rosette.

(To clarify I have never voted Tory, and going from the current lot in power never could. But I would vote Rory into power, whatever colour of his Rosette.)

gonefishin
    Free Member

She is wrong , bills are not capped at £2500

I thought that this was widely understood until earlier this week and I had to correct quite a few people. They actually thought the was an absolute energy cap. Fairly well educated people too.

trailmonkey

that people automatically dismiss someone purely because of the colour of their rosette.

If someone had a red rosette and his voting record, I’d still think of him in the same way.

tjagain

Its not tribalism

Its understanding that the Tories exist for one reason only. To keep power and wealth in the hands of the powerful and wealthy.

Yes the one nation conservatives realise they have to keep the rest content and look after them in a paternal way but no tory will ever redistribute power and wealth in any significant way.

bruneep

🤦‍♂️

gobuchul
    Free Member

Those local radio interviews are excellent. She thought she would get an easy time and just had her arse handed to her by multiple Alan Partridges.

James O’Brien is going to be good this morning.

martinhutch

My favourite of the clips I’ve heard so far, Rima from BBC Radio Leeds icily asking her if she slept well, naive Liz saying actually, she did, thinking ‘this is going to be a nice one’, then getting absolutely nuked…

scratch
    Free Member

How longs she got? Knives are out already no?

binners

When this is the rolling judgement from the Daily Mail you really are in trouble

Viewing 40 posts - 1,241 through 1,280 (of 4,343 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.