• This topic has 4,342 replies, 353 voices, and was last updated 3 days ago by binners.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,081 through 1,120 (of 4,343 total)
  • Liz! Truss!
  • Poopscoop

It’s now a day and night choice at the next election, if “we” vote Tory again then we frankly deserve what we get.

I’m now hoping for an early election to limit the damage to the country but I think it’s unlikely.

ernielynch

There is no chance of an early general election, not now. They will be hoping that the mini budget will result in a (mini) boom sometime before January 2025 which is the latest they can hold out for.

IMO the opposition parties should have exploited Kwarteng’s claim that we had entered a “new era” by agreeing with him and pointing out that it meant a new mandate from the voters was needed as the old mandate was no longer valid.

Obviously the Tories wouldn’t have agreed but it firstly would have undermine their legitimacy and secondly just the talk of a general election would have made voters impatient to pass their verdict on Kwarteng’s reverse Robin Hood agenda.

He would have been hoisted by his own petard for calling it was a new era requiring a new economic direction. As it would hard to deny that it needed a new mandate.

BillMC

Can’t seem to link up Cold War Steve. Conspiracy I tell yas.

kelvin

This one?

Cold War Steve
    Cold War Steve on Twitter

Another big payday for Odey.

tjagain

Anyone else noted Truss is going to loosen immigration rules to import workers for low paid temp jobs. Quite an admission that brexit has effed things up. What she is suggesting however I am sure will not work as its still is unnatractive to most people

dissonance

Anyone else noted Truss is going to loosen immigration rules to import workers for low paid temp jobs

The Sunday times story? Seems a plan designed to annoy just about everyone.

kelvin

Any reciprocal arrangement sort for British workers…?

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Any reciprocal arrangement sort for British workers…?

I very much doubt it.

Now the never-going-to-happen-anyway US trade agreement was kicked into the bushes just about the last reasonably sized market will be India and they will almost 100% certainly want easier access to the UKs jobs market and we are so desperate (and incompetent) we’ll just agree anything to get the headline. So whilst the Tories will triumphantly announce the deal allows us to export Yorkshire Puddings now to India they won’t mention the large numbers of johnny foreigners being allowed to come across to work in the UK.

We have literally hollowed out the UK and given it to every country that wants a piece without any advantage for us just so we can ‘protect our borders’.

Oh wait, we’re likely to get more people coming in.

[And just to clarify, thats sarcasm not me being a frothing brexiteer]

TiRed

Truss is now called Daggers in the City. Dagenham. Three stops past Barking.

binners

All the racists who voted for Brexit are going to go apeshit when all these brown people start arriving

This wasn’t the Brexit I voted for etc, etc…

BillMC

That Kwarteng fella has very done well for himself since those Halifax ads.

oldnpastit

Loads of clever Indians, would be great to recruit without going through all the tier 2 visa madness.

kelvin

Agreed. Not read what the government is proposing, but a quick India trade deal is likely to include a greater number of visas being made available, and some of the hoop jumping lessoned… but it won’t do away with visas, and will still favour the big outsourcing and consultancy businesses more than SMEs and the people wanting to try a life here.

BillMC

What a farrago, the brexiteers will be bleating to bring back the eastern Europeans. Will Labour become anti-immigration and the Mail pro? Truss already seems to be pissing off a lot of different people.

MoreCashThanDash

That Kwarteng fella has very done well for himself since those Halifax ads

I had wondered what had happened to Howard…

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

This shit show can get much much worse…

Seen this before courtesy of Thatcher, its the same abandonment of working people wih a thin veneer of government gruel …

I have no answers,my kids all adult’s are politically unaware (my fault raised them middle class) 3 of 4 have mortgages and i have told them to be prepared.. i can help them but many won’t have that kind of support.

I am angry, very ****ing angry.

binners

I think Howard may be the voice in his head. Whoever it is, they’re clearly very amusing.

When you watch his antics at the Queens funeral then his insane budget becomes a bit more explicable

When Suella Braverman is staring at you with a look on a face that says WTF? then you really are in trouble

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Is he gurning there? Been at the Gary Abletts?

BillMC

mp for tooting?

dozofoz
    Free Member

Gary Ablett? As in the Aussie Rules goat?

tjagain

Tooting would be my guess

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Liverpool and Everton defender

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Can there be insider dealing at government level? Some guy on youtube (okay, not completely watertight investigative journalism) was strongly hinting some rich friends of the government shorted on the pound literally just before the mini budget announcement and made a fortune.

Don’t know if thats believeable or not, but I wouldn’t be surprised with this lot.

Two years left to get as much money for themselves/their mates until the gravy train all collapses at the next election?

tjagain

Rees mogg did i read

binners

Can there be insider dealing at government level? Some guy on youtube (okay, not completely watertight investigative journalism) was strongly hinting some rich friends of the government shorted on the pound literally just before the mini budget announcement and made a fortune

Would anyone be remotely surprised?

They don’t even bother to cover up their corruption any more, it’s so blatant

What’s terrifying is how cheap it is to buy off this lot. They’ll literally happily bankrupt the country for the sake of a 50 grand bung

Two years left to get as much money for themselves/their mates until the gravy train all collapses at the next election

Brexit and everything since has been bought, funded and gift wrapped by and for Disaster Capitalists

They’ll walk away as billionaires from the smoking wreckage of the UK economy, laughing their tits off that they got a lot of shit-thick racists to actually vote for this bollocks with just some old bullshit written down the side of a bus

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Yep, this.

binners

And it cost them the change they found down the back of the sofa.

Liz Truss and Kwasi Kwartang literally cost them ten benson, a bottle of cider and a packet of monster munch

These Brexit ‘patriots’ happily sold us all down the river for that

Useful idiots who are still too dense to realise they’ve been played.

With ‘former remainer’ Truss it’s the most extreme case of Stockholm syndrome I’ve ever seen

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Tory MPs are thin if non existent on Twitter currently… no flag waving or cheering on of Kwasi…

frankconway

Krazi Kwarteng

julians
    Free Member

Kamikwasi

maccruiskeen

Anyone else noted Truss is going to loosen immigration rules to import workers for low paid temp jobs. Quite an admission that brexit has effed things up. What she is suggesting however I am sure will not work as its still is unnatractive to most people

Well… maybe not as unattractive as you’d think. Sometimes taking something away has opens people’s eyes to how valuable it actually  is – Since the referendum attitudes to immigration have steadily become more favourable 

kimbers

Has Graham Brady had any letters in yet 😉?

The low point for the Tories under Johnson was about 30% in the polls

I’m betting Truss can hit 25

If she fires Kwertang & tries to blame him, that’d get the letters incoming

stumpyjon

Seen this before courtesy of Thatcher, its the same abandonment of working people wih a thin veneer of government gruel …

This is way beyond anything Thatcher did and what she did had reasoning behind it (even if you violently disagree with the reasoning), this is wholesale destruction for some backhanders. In Thatcher’s case we were known as the sick man of Europe for good reason, the last 5 years have seen us move from being in a relatively good position to totally screwed due to government policy and Truss is doubling down on it.

I’m betting Truss can hit 25

We haven’t seen half of this yet, people are still going to be a lot worse off than they think this winter, all the caps and tax cuts are either avoiding things that were coming or reversing stuff recently enacted. People will still be way worse off than they were this time last year. Fixed rate deals for both energy and mortgages are still in play from before this all blew up, people have gone to paying energy bills monthly thinking they are being clever, if we have a cold winter a lot of people are going to be very exposed to a lot more cost and people think it’s bad now. Couple that with Ukraine producing about 50% of the grain they normally do and food prices will continue to rise.

dudeofdoom

Yep,its not like they have set the caps to get the bills down to the original last year values and the winter is always more expensive.

kimbers

Well….

dazh

Tory MPs not being that quiet. My previous comment a while back that she might not last til christmas looks pessimistic!

molgrips
    Free Member

Agree. Waiting for the rumours to start circulating.

kelvin

I still think the chance of another leader taking them in to the next election are high. How relevant is it though? The Tories have failed again and again, for years… we need them out of office, not shuffling around the jobs.

trailmonkey

we need them out of office, not shuffling around the jobs.

Just been discussing recent events amongst my (working class) Tory voting, office workmates.

Apparently, we need to give Liz Truss time, she’s only been in power for a few days and she’s already had the death of the queen to deal with.

I just despair 🙁

martinhutch

She’s certainly hit the ground from day one, as she foretold. I guess the markets will decide whether she breaks through that and starts tunnelling.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,081 through 1,120 (of 4,343 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.