Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Living with a bigger wheeled bike…
  • LMT
    Free Member

I was going to put life with a 29er but thought might get some odd responses….

Having demoed a 29er and found i quite like the wheel size and after some debate ive ordered a Grand Canyon 29er. Just wondered from the collective on here with 29er hardtails what pitfalls to look for or the joys of riding a bigger wheeled bike?

Also the thought if 29er does die off early (doubt it in 3 years which is my bikes general life) it should be fairly easy to convert down to 650b? just a thought as the xs model of my bike comes in 650b guise.

My 29er will be mostly used for evening blasts round cannock, tow paths and generally messing about on the bike, keeping the full sus 26er for those big days out.

neil853
    Free Member

I’ve recently made the switch from a 26″ Santa Cruz full sus to a Titus Fireline. I was a bit apprehensive that the handling would be lazy and centre of gravity high etc, the usual stuff. But mine certainly isn’t like that. So far there have been zero downsides, only thing to mention really is gearing. I’ve got the same gearing (32t chainring 12-36 cassette) but id like a lower gear for climbing, i think I’ll be looking at a hope trex. Aside from that I’m impressed with my 29er, see how we get on in the coming months.

jimw
    Free Member

I don’t think conversion to 650b will be a good idea even if technically possible. It will give a very low BB height and alter geometry for the worse.

I have a 29er hard tail and don’t regret having it in the slightest.

I have also kept a longer travel 26″FS bike

benji
    Free Member

Don’t think 29er is going to phased out anytime soon, so wouldn’t worry that much about it. As for living one, nevermind the living get used to the loving, love my pair of 29ers they are both proper cross country weapons, which is great as thats the sort of riding/racing i do.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

mine doesn’t do the washing up, messes the carpet and bit the postman. it’s a bit of a handful.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Living with a bigger wheeled bike…’ is closed to new replies.