Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Living next to a building site.
  • monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

My housing provider has decided to build more houses right next to mine!The first week was bloody awful and they’ve moved me to a hotel for the piling work.I can’t believe the construction work is going to be that much quieter.Do I have any rights to peace and quiet or have I just got to put up with it?Sadly my house is a recent build and not exactly soundproof.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Neil

ElShalimo
    Free Member

Contact the council

TheBrick
    Free Member

I think there is a reasonable time thing of about 07:30 /08:00 start.

Other than that I am not sure what can be done. Building work is noisy.

dogbone

Check their planning approval. Working hours are sometimes listed as a Condition.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

What can the council do?They gave my housing provider planning permission for the project.The mayor is also in with my housing group.I wonder if I should consult a lawyer.I could maybe get my housing group to pay for relocation.Thabks for your replies.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

I,m also at home most of the day as well.I study/work at home for a living so this is going to be difficult. I might just have to cut my losses and run.

airvent
    Free Member

Not much you can really do if it’s after half 7 in the morning. Unless it’s loud at night or possibly on weekends depending on the local authorities bylawys, environmental health won’t be interested.

Are the contractors ‘Considerate Constructors’ registered? There are things they should be doing to minimise disruption to surrounding residents, but sadly noisy work is noisy work and not a lot can be done to make it quieter.

ernielynch
    Free Member

What can the council do?

They have a statutory obligation to deal with noise complaints, including from construction sites. If you are dissatisfied with their response you have the right to contact the ombudsman.

https://www.croydon.gov.uk/environment/noise-pollution-and-air-quality/noise/construction-sites

kayak23

Are the contractors ‘Considerate Constructors’ registered?

Lolz. HS2 sites have those signs. What a ******* joke! 😂

Flaperon

Once the piling is done the actual construction isn’t too bad (I lived on a new-build estate that was still under construction at the time). The biggest irritation is the constant sound of warning beepers from reversing vehicles.

You could try getting the construction company to stick triple glazing in on the side facing the work.

ads678

Are you the only person living next to the site? What does everyone else think?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Well I live on one of those small village sprawling housing estates so been constant building going on for the 15 years or so since I’ve been here. Far enough away from the actual building work for it not to be a nuisance as my house was in the first phase, but fairly regular power cuts/interruptions are a PITA as they start tapping into the power supply especially since I’ve been working from home.

On the upside I find that occasionally bits of the infrastructure get upgraded. A while back the sewers saw a huge upgrade to cope with the increase in housing as before it was struggling and recently the internet infrastructure got a big upgrade to cope with the increase in demand so overnight my broadband speed doubled for free. I’m actually now consistently achieving the speeds I’m actually paying for…for now at least.

So pro’s and cons but its temporary. They chuck houses up pretty quickly these days.

jimmy

They’re building about 300m from us just now, but the ground in between will soon be broken for a big development which is going to take 3 or 4 years. I’m slightly dreading it. Our past two houses we’ve moved in halfway through site build so lived with the immediate noise. It’s not horrific, but it’s constant banging and beeping. Not much that we can do about it, just have to grin and bear it. Also, back then, building was at times we’d be away at work. Now we’re working from home it’ll be constant.

Agree the piling is the worst bit.

sniff
    Free Member

Ask the neighbours what they did when your house was being built?

Check the planning conditions, there may be time slots for construction.

monkeyboyjc

Not much you can do other than what’s already been suggested.

Check the planning permission for working hours, speak directly to the contractor regards your concerns, and council planning dept if they are in breach.
    If the contractors ‘Considerate Constructors’ registered then they should work with you and let you know when it’ll be especially noisy.

Piling will be quick, it’s usually traffic, or inconsiderate contractor parking complaints after that. 3months and the buildings will be up, 5 months and they’ll be done.

davros
    Free Member

Noise cancelling headphones? Serious suggestion. Might work if you’re not on the phone all day etc.

poly
    Free Member

I wonder if I should consult a lawyer.I could maybe get my housing group to pay for relocation.Thabks for your replies.

I’m not sure how a lawyer would help if the council can’t? Its either legal/permitted/acceptable or its not. I’ve never dealt with a housing association but I assume they have enough demand that if you want to move out they’ll be delighted – paying you to relocate because there are a few weeks very noisy work and a few months less noisy work seems unlikely. If you go all out to really upset them you may discover there is a clause in your lease that means you can’t technically work from home anyway!

lucky7500

Other than that I am not sure what can be done. Building work is noisy.

This. Unless the hours being worked are outside of those allowed don’t bother wasting your own time and the council employees time by putting in spurious complaints. Even if they are, think about whether the work starting slightly later or finishing slightly earlier each day would really make a noticeable difference.
    More houses are needed and building them is noisy. If it seems like a long term thing then moving is probably your best option. I say all this as someone who had, literally, years of seven day a week major building projects in very close proximity when I lived in London.

johndoh
    Free Member

We’ve been living through this for the last year – thankfully the buildings are slightly away from us and don’t *directly* cause issues, but the construction traffic (and associated utilities) have been a constant source of stress with the road closed off from one side for a year and regular occasions of works vehicles blocking the road. Just this morning I missed my train because they decided to place a wagon in the road (infilling the latest set of road digging).

I remain astounded at the sheer amount of house building that is going on everywhere – where did all these people live before all these extra houses were built?

footflaps

It’s the muck on the road I hate, loads of lorries moving earth in and out so they have a road sweeper with water jet running 8 hours a day ensuring the roads are clean, which really means continually covered in a uniform thin film of slime. Total PITA cycling on them.

lovewookie

It’s pretty much what it is unfortunately.
    I don’t live on a new build, my cottage is about 200 years old, but we’ve been surrounded by building work for the last 8 or so years. It wears thin.

Attached neighbours re roofed their house, constructed a doormer, then had to take it down and rebuild. Then they ripped out the internals and remodelled. Did it all himself and friends, so it took about 18months.

About 2 months after that a big house was built to the rear of ours, that took about a year.

Then the adjacent cottage was sold and the new owner re roofed it properly, and rejigged internally. Another 6 months.

House about 100m away underwent full refurb and extension, sone still ongoing

Lockdown project for big house behind was a BBQ/pizza house. So it’s been sawing, hammering, drilling since the first lockdown.

Adjacent neighbour but one building an extension, new windows and re cladding the house.

Nice and quiet leafy neighborhood.

I get worried about doing percussive bike maintenance at 8am

retro83
    Free Member

Feel for you mate.

I’ve got a lot of building work near me. The bungalows on my road had quite generous plots and a lot of the folk in them reaching the age where they move out to care homes or pass away. Developers are knocking them down and putting two detached houses on the plots. There are currently 8 houses being built within about 200 meters.

The noise is bad at the start but does reduce a lot as the work goes on. As somebody else mentioned above, the main thing for me is the roads being blocked by cranes and vans. Made me late for work a few times.
    I’ve had trades parking their vans actually on my drive blocking both my cars in then **** off without leaving a note. Nobody from the sites knew whose van it was, then mysteriously somebody came and moved it when my neighbour started hooking up his tow rope to it.

Boils the urine.

jonm81

Having just been made to revalidate my Environmental Pollution training then for sound pollution things that are noisy by nature are not considered pollution unless outside of reasonable hours (example given to be 0700 – 1900 hrs for construction).

You can complain but I very much doubt you will get anywhere with it.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Do I have any rights to peace and quiet

Like the existing residents when your house was being built..? 🤔 Your OP reads very NIMBYish I’m afraid.

Our little cul-de-sac is being extended atm, and my OH has been WFH the whole time – the actual house construction really isn’t too bad, and we’ve only had one instance where we had a trench across the drive and needed to get a car off; I politely asked for an additional trench plate and it was duly supplied (along with a thanks from the project management company for not breaking Rule 1 over it).

Houses need to be built, and they’re mostly going to be built near existing residential areas. If they’re abiding by the noise regulation rules, suck it up.

pocpoc

so they have a road sweeper with water jet running

We lived on the front of a new build estate that was still being built when we moved out 5 years later.
    Building noise was never really an issue, but they were never building directly near us for the majority of it.
    However, the road sweeper that came at 8am every Sunday morning without fail used to drive me nuts.

As others have said, once the initial piling is done you’ll probably soon get used to the general background noise. They had to build the house you are living in at some point and that probably annoyed people living nearby at the time.

trail_rat
    Free Member

where did all these people live before all these extra houses were built?

Mother’s womb/parents houses

U.K. population rising. Gotta go somewhere it seems.

footflaps

where did all these people live before all these extra houses were built?

Three trends:

1. UK Population rising (although Brexit & CV-19 have caused a dip – not shown on this graph).

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2m21sn3]UK Population[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

2. UK Household sizes falling

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2m1XAnG]Houshold size[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

3. UK Urbanisation increasing

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2m232Jc]Ubanisation[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

All three mean we need more houses in/near cities……

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I can never understand how people get themselves worked up like this. You bought a new build house on a housing estate. What did you think was going to happen? New builds are built on brownfield sites these days and i expect you will be looking at constant building over the years to come. I bought a new build house on a housing estate 20yrs ago and i am just in the middle of doing the same. On and off there has been construction in the area around us constantly. Its no big deal, its progress and it allows people to buy new houses. They usually can be kept in check to work to the hours they have to and any missunderstanding can be cleared up pretty quickly.

I recently had to report a worker who kept taking a shortcut in his dumper truck along a pathway and was killing the green area for the sake of 5 mins time saved. Havent seen him do it since and i expect the 10 men it took a days work to come and assess and reseed all the grass and put it right was enough for him to get the message.

If it narks you that much, sell up and see if you can buy an older house on an established site where there is no chance of new build work. Otherwise, its just a fact of life, let them get on with their work

b230ftw
    Free Member

I can never understand how people get themselves worked up like this. You bought a new build house on a housing estate. What did you think was going to happen?

This.

If you’re going to give up in life enough to buy a soulless new build then surely all your senses must be dulled to a point where you don’t notice there things anyway? 😂

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Didn’t buy….which you would have realised if you’d bothered reading the previous comments.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Housing provider. OK so its even less of a big deal. If you havent got a big lease then move. If you have then use the noise as a reason to try to end it.

If its some other reason to be provided to you, keep on moaning but maybe appreciate what you have

ernielynch
    Free Member

FFS the OP is perfectly entitled to expect a reasonable quality of life whilst building work is being carried out nearby.

Building contractors don’t have a carte blanche to be as noisy as they like during construction.

From my link :

“Regardless of the time of day, the responsible party must use best practicable means to minimise the noise.”

Yes building work can be inconvenient, but it doesn’t mean that there is no limit to the inconvenience.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Dont bother educating the trolls on here ernie.They dont want to help/sympathise,there just interested in being childish.I think Cougars sociopathy might be catching.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Regardless of the time of day, the responsible party must use best practicable means to minimise the noise.”

Hand digging foundations

Hand batching cement

Block and tackle to get stuff up the scaffolding

Just need an Amish work crew who don’t believe in the wonders of technology cause any other crew gonna walk

poly
    Free Member

I can never understand how people get themselves worked up like this

Housing provider. OK so its even less of a big deal. If you havent got a big lease then move. If you have then use the noise as a reason to try to end it.

If its some other reason to be provided to you, keep on moaning but maybe appreciate what you have

I’m not sure you understand the realities of housing association rental. Perhaps people less fortunate than you don’t have the same luxury of choice if they are unhappy with their surroundings?

ernielynch
    Free Member

Hand digging foundations

Hand batching cement

Block and tackle to get stuff up the scaffolding

Do you think that’s what they had in mind in my link?

What do you think they meant when they said “best practicable means”?

Mind you I think the OPs last comment is valid. I’m not really sure why I’m engaging. Apart maybe to show the OP that not everyone who read his question wants to give him stick.

burt
    Free Member

I’ve lived in my current house for 10 years now. We were here 1 year when they started building 48 new houses on the land at the bottom of the cult de sac, 4 houses down from us. They were the 2 most miserable years of my life, the constant din of of dumper trucks reversing became depressing to the point that I can’t hear one now without feeling angry. The answer from the council when I complained that the constant lorry traffic breaking branches off the trees along our small road was the Highways depth would have to come out and cut them down! Once it starts it’s like an unstoppable roller coaster. Make sure you know what the builders have agreed to as far as working times etc and report them if they don’t abide by them.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Do you think that’s what they had in mind in my link?

What do you think they meant when they said “best practicable means”

Tbh my point was more…what do you think is practible for builders to do things quietly.

But yet those subjected to living next to it become hypersensitised to what is essential noise

It’s not fun but unfortunately it happens. Was a pain when they dug up and resurfaced my road but you realise they can’t do that without noise …

It’s rare these days t find them burning diesel for the fun due to cost if nothing else

trail_rat
    Free Member

The answer from the council when I complained that the constant lorry traffic breaking branches off the trees along our small road was the Highways depth would have to come out and cut them down!

What did you expect them to do ? Teleport the stuff in ?

We need more houses* weneed more houses*

*But not near me

burt
    Free Member

@ trail_rat, no just drive them in without wrecking the surrounding fauna.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.

Pada Yatra 2022 #shorts
Singletrack Video Archive: Pada Yatra 2022 #shorts