Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Living in Dundee
  • PiknMix
    Free Member

Looking for a bit of advice on where to live in Dundee. I don’t have much time to sort out a rental place if I accept the job (I’ve the money to buy but want to suss the area out first) so where would you live?

I understand Broughty Ferry is the place to be but rental options are limited. Any places to avoid?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Avoiding Dundee would be a good start.

But seriously what are you looking for?

redmex
    Free Member

Whitfield is up and coming area,  nice hexagonal blocks of houses, artisan convenience spar, londis etc and friendly locals

Shackleton

I live in dundee, feel free to email me.

Where will you be working?

Most of the biking is to the north and west of Dundee, Grotty Ferry is about the worst place to live for biking! It is also quite la di dah by Dundee standards (the women ask someone to hold their chips before pissing in the street). Lots of cafes, restaurants,  a beach and other middle class stuff but most of the houses (new builds) listed a Broughty Ferry are at least a mile from this. Broughty Ferry also adds 30 minutes to any journey going west.

The west end of Dundee is probably the nicest part and where I would live if I wasn’t in one of the nearby villages with trails from the door 🙂

leffeboy

thank you @shackleton.  Very high on the perchy scale there

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’d also suggest outlier villages and commuting in….

But as city’s go Dundee not that bad these days. It’s made a huge leap forward since the 80s/90s

twicewithchips
    Free Member

The ferry? ‘It’s not Dundee’.

I was back for the first time in years. Much improved since they blew up the hilltie flats.

West end or villages as suggested above. Or a flat right in the town?

Where are you moving from?

Aahl hae twa paehs, ohn ahn inngin in an aa

whereisthurso
    Free Member

I actually have a flat to rent in the West end of Dundee but it really depends on what you’re looking for and what your budget is. I’d agree with others that the west end is where to be. Personally I’d not go for Whitfield. If you want a short commute then the outlying villages are nice. Newport just across the bridge is nice and quiet but with quick and easy access to the city.

If you end up needing a temporary place to stay while you look for something more suitable then my 1 bed flat might be an option. It’s going to be available from 1st April.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Thank you all, moving from Sheffield. The job is in the city centre so as long as I can get there I can technically live anywhere commutable. The only complication is that I’m unsure if I will have a car for the first few months so need to be reliant on (shudders) public transport!

accomodation wise, anything will do as it’s just a roof over our heads until we decide to buy somewhere when we know what’s what.

whereisthurso, a one bed in the short term could be perfect!

twicewithchips
    Free Member

From Sheffield?  It’ll feel like home!

Blackness road, or thurso’s flat. Tha’ll be reet.

Random fact. Observatory dome is the biggest papier mache thing in Britain.

Shackleton

The job is in the city centre so as long as I can get there I can technically live anywhere commutable. The only complication is that I’m unsure if I will have a car for the first few months so need to be reliant on (shudders) public transport!

Dundee ain’t that big. Everywhere is within 20 minutes on a bike from the centre. The ferry is 30 mins max. If it is a uni job then there are showers in most depts, or there is the sports centre.

whereisthurso
    Free Member

The flat is on Birchwood Place. It’s 10 mins walk to the uni and 5 more into town. There’s a nice park 2 mins up the road and lots of nice cafes on perth road. Check it out on Google maps and email me if it’s of any interest .

birky
    Free Member

Agree with those suggesting the villages. I grew up in Invergowrie and have lived in Birkhill for 20+ years. Takes less than 20 mins to cycle to the city centre/uni but have the countryside on my doorstep.

cbike
    Free Member

Dundee is actually pretty awesome.   It has its highlights like every town.    Its a perfect size for electric bicycle commuting.    I commuted over the bridge for a month.   Its pretty exposed but drier than the west coast. nice and quiet over on the south side of the river.

onlysteel
    Free Member

As a Fifer I’d suggest across the bridge is best!

Little sis is in the Ferry and while predictably folks are sneering, it is a nice place to be. West end equally so.

You’ll need to translate for most on here, twicewithchips!

perchypanther
    Free Member

Very high on the perchy scale there

The what now?

I can’t wait to find out what is measured on this.

I hope it’s to do with chips and pissing because they’re two of my main hobbies.

I used to be an avid reader of the Whizzer and Chips as a young lad and it’s left a big impression.

fatmax

Was at Uni there 92-96, often pass through, and will come up for a mooch around the V&A when it opens. Great memories of the place for me.

jca

I’ve just moved back after doing my PhD here from 96-99, and am back at the Uni working in the same department. Currently renting in Tayport while we decide where to buy, and loving it. 30 min traffic-free cycle commute, walking distance of Tentsmuir for the kids and property prices which mean moving from the SE is extremely favourable for us. Especially enjoying being close to big hills again, and had some fantastic days playing in the snow. Stunning cloud inversion around Ben Lawers last weekend.

As with any city, it has it’s good bits and bad bits, but the city centre is hugely improved. For living in the city, as well as the west end, their are some very nice houses to be had on the Law with great views, and easy walking distance of the centre. You just need to like walking up and down hills…

piemonster

West End would by my vote for a city centre job. Walking distance! I lived in a detached house off Perth Road, quiet spot but everything nearby.

As someone that’s lived in Sheffield Sharrow and also off Eccy road there’s not a lot to raise your eyebrows with the less salubrious parts of Fundee.

For the 6 years I lived there (in Fife now) I was happy enough. The folk I encountered proved notably friendly in comparison to Sheffield.

Some lovely road riding, especially the Carse of Gowrie. I love the Sidlaws, but not for biking for running. If you’re a climber, prepare to miss the peak. The Cairngorms are not far away 🙂

piemonster

Oh, and if it’s really city centre. Somewhere towards Perth near a station?

TheFlyingOx

As mentioned above, as a Fifer (and an ex-Sheffielder) I would be looking for somewhere over the bridge – Dundee actually looks quite nice at night. From a distance. Newport probably best but likely more expensive, Tayport will be cheaper and still has some nice bits.

NE Fife’s great. I grew up near Loxley and it reminds me of home, if home had had a coastline nearby.

stevious

The location of Thursos flat is ideal for finding your feet in Dundee.

We moved here from overseas and landed in the Carse of Gowrie. Superb place to ride a bike.

piemonster

“You just need to like walking up and down hills…”

I reckon Sheffield is hillier than Dundee

jca

…and in the WSJ top 10 list of places to visit in 2018…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-41761399

I think they must be thinking of Hilltown…

jonm81

Barnhill or Forthill are alright and a bit closer to the countryside than the Ferry.  Still an easy commute into town on a bike.  Or as others have said out the Perth Road way is OK but more flats and tenements than larger houses.

Avoid Whitfield, Douglas, Mill’o’Mains, Kirktown, Fintry and all the other shite estates on the outskirts.  The Hilltown directly north of the centre is a bit shit as well until you get out past Nicklesons bike shop/Morgan Academy then it gets a bit nicer again.

Another option would be Newport or Tayport and ride over the bridge which would probably be my choice in the unlikely event I ever move back.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Some great info thanks. I’ve looked at over the bridge and it’s doable for me but the wife needs to be closer to Perth and the villages north of.

bruk

Born and brought up in Dundee, well the Ferry really. Left in 91 but back several times a year to visit the relatives. I’d say Dundee has improved massively since I left and has loads of great things going for it.

If your wife needs to be closer to Perth and you won’t have a car to begin with then I’d be looking West End really. Commuting across the city at rush hour is like all cities just a bit rubbish.  Thurso’s flat would be a good starter for getting a feel of the place.

Enjoy. Im back up for a week in April and really looking forward to it.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I lived there for a good few years during and post-uni (and I’m still only a few miles away). As said, it’s been going uphill steadily for years, it used to be a bit of a dump but it’s really not too bad now. It lacks the variety of a bigger place like Edinburgh, but then you can get from one side to the other in no time so its swings and roundabouts…

I reckon the best place to live IN Dundee is up on the law. It’s quieter, housing is less dense, you get good views, but you can ride into town in sub-5 minutes. Getting back up the hill takes a bit longer mind…

jonm81

There are some nice houses up between the Swanny ponds (Stobsmuir Park I think) and the Eastern Cemetry. easy ride onto town and straight onto the Kingsway for your wife’s trip to Perth.  Straight out the back towards Forfar and the Sidlaws for riding too.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I used to live in Fife and work in Dundee on the Perth Road. If I were living anywhere it would be round there, whereisthurso’s place is in the right neck of the woods.

It is a cool city now, when I first went up there it was in a real state but it hs had a lot spent on it.

I would never live in Fife again.

trail_rat
    Free Member

To be fair munrobiker…. St andrew doesn’t count as fife – that’s just little England (remember my wife also went there)

I had serious issues with that place being up it own arse.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Never met a fellow Scot in St Andrews. Mostly toothy American girls looking for a prince, according to my sister.

If your better half is working in Perth area then why not consider there? Smaller, nicer (imho),  and head due north for mountains. 1/2hr on train.

stevious

If you’re split Dundee/Perth then all the villages in between are pretty good. Lots of houses, decent schools, etc. The buses are OK but you’ll probably end up needing a car.

If you want to stay in Dundee and you wife needs to use public transport into Perth then the West End would be by far the best (and the bus is more frequent than the train).

Inbred456
    Free Member

Longforgan, Inchture and Errol are all inbetween Perth and Dundee. Mrs Inbred is a Fifer from just over the water in Newport. Lived in Invergowrie when we met. I like Dundee but I’m from Newcastle so it’s like a smaller version. Bridge traffic can be a pain if you are travelling over it everyday. Agree with the comments about Broughty Ferry. I always preferred Monifieth. Perth is lovely and would be my choice.

Shackleton

Mrs Inbred is a Fifer

Oh the irony 😉

piemonster

Can’t say I know anywhere in England that’s a fair comparison of St Andrews. Certainly not Cambridge or Oxford.

It might be a little somewhere, but it’s no England I recognise.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Choices, choices. In an ideal world the job would be in Perth as the villages north of there are stunning and are very special to my wife and I.

What are the roads like from Perth to Dundee, would I die if I biked it? (from a traffic perspective not fitness).

munrobiker
    Free Member

Trailrat- I lived in Pittenweem and worked in Kirkcaldy. I know my fife!

redmex
    Free Member

Pittenweem to Kdy that would be a pain to drive each day single carriageway   I was brought up in Upper Largo for a good few years, can’t say i miss it too much, tounge in cheek my much earlier post about Whitfield, might be better now but probably not

Shackleton

Perth to Dundee is essentially the A90. You would die. There isn’t, reasonably speaking, an alternative fast route that I am aware of.

The xc Road route has some very nice new tarmac, it can be busy but is a regular roadie route. Main problem is the wind. Always a headwind regardless of travel direction.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Living in Dundee’ is closed to new replies.