Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Living in and around Aberdeen?
  • GolfChick
    Free Member

Yet another golfchick abandones England question! I have the possibility of a job around Aberdeen/Peterhead so looking for some real life experiences of living in and around the area. Cheers

gonefishin
    Free Member

1. It’s a long way from just about anywhere (flying to Norway is quicker than to London). This may or may not be a good thing for you.

2. You can’t throw a brick without hitting a golf course or two.

3. Peterhead isn’t somewhere I’d like to live, and Aberdeen is very expensive, although that might be changing in the very near future.

4. Great access to mountains and countryside.

5. It’s really dark in winter, and really light in summer.

DrJ

4 is the main attraction. Aberdeen itself is not very pretty
    3 times are so hard that apparently you can even buy an Audi without being on a waiting list

trail_rat
    Free Member

“3 times are so hard that apparently you can even buy an Audi without being on a waiting list”

😀 😀 😀

You can pick up second hand sports cars locally for a song atm as folks seem to be trying to liquidise their assets……..

notlocal
    Free Member

LOTS of new housing being built in and around Aberdeen just now. Outside Aberdeen, like anywhere, pick your location carefully. Some nice, some not so. Riding out in Deeside is great if based Aberdeen way.
    Once the city bypass is complete, getting around should be quicker.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Once if the city bypass is ever complete, getting around to the next queue should be quicker”

cultsdave
    Free Member

I have been in Aberdeen for 12 years now. Some people hate it others love it, just depends on what it is your looking for. I moved up here to uni from a small rural village, so Aberdeen feels like a big city to me, its not! Its quite small but has everything in it you require but is lacking culture.

On the other hand the outdoor scene is buzzing. So many people to climb/walk/bike with. The outdoors are just so accessable. Plenty of local biking, just look at the strava heat map to see the weath of trails.

Times are hard in Aberdeen? Well this depends on where within the oil industry you work. The company I work for is fine. It will bounce back, Aberdeen doesn’t solely rely on the North sea.

I wouldn’t live North of Aberdeen, its a bit bleak but west up deeside is lovely, but prices reflect that.

trail_rat
    Free Member

what dave said .

where you work and where you live and how you get between the two will ultimately make or break aberdeen for you.

living in portlethan and working on the north- dyce/inverurie and out peterhead way will destroy you and vice versa.

Woody
    Free Member

You can pick up second hand sports cars locally for a song atm as folks seem to be trying to liquidise their assets

……………. Or have realised that the gravy train may be ending and I get the distinct impression that despite the (comparatively) high salaries there are an awful lot of people up to their neck in it and it will only get worse.
    I find when I go back there, left a long time ago and only go back to visit my folks, that it is a strange atmosphere founded mainly on material stuff ie. Flash car, big house most expensive watch etc etc.

I’m probably wrong about that but it’s the impression I get as I tend to only visit West End/Culta area!
    Plus side is fabulous countryside and hills on your doorstep and as someone has mentioned, loads of golf courses. I would also recommend, if you can afford it, to look at area inland eg. Banchory/Aboyne. Cycling, skiing on your doorstep and will not require a multi-layering system in July like it does most of the time on the coast.

Edit : as TR has mentioned traffic is diabolical !

arcadian
    Free Member

I’ve lived here since uni, then left, then came back. It is a bit isolated in terms of bands/comedians/shows coming to town and the drive down to Edinburgh and Glasgow being a pain (the dual carriageway is a very dull drive, but the coastal road is nice). Crime rates are (or seem?) lower than central Scotland, and there’s plenty of biking in the area (nothing really in trail centre terms, but lots of nice hills and trails).
    House prices in Aberdeen are a bit steep, but cheaper in the commuting towns outside Aberdeen. The city centre is nice enough but small. Wouldn’t fancy staying in Peterhead. Balmedie is nice enough, Hatton is nice (but tiny), Newburgh looks nice (but don’t know anyone who stays there) and Ellon is a decent sized town halfway between Peterhead and Aberdeen.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Or have realised that the gravy train may be ending and I get the distinct impression that despite the (comparatively) high salaries there are an awful lot of people up to their neck in it and it will only get worse.”

That was my point 😀 When the shit started hitting the fan this time round the number of houses that instantly went up for sale was silly – riding in deeside road after the first round of redundancies was an eye opener – there used to be a wait list for houses directly on the north deeside – then all of a sudden theres like 10 for sale at once….

cultsdave
    Free Member

Woody – I fully agree.

There is a culture of keeping up with the Jones round here. Lots of people in a lot of debt for big mortgages car loans etc. Our 21 year old receptionist drives a brand new Audi s3! My car 9 year old focus is by far one of the oldest scabbiest cars in the car park, but it is one of the few owned out right!

Eating out/ drinking in Aberdeen reflects this culture. Not many great places to eat out and even a curry can be expensive. Lots of atempts at style over substance with people trying to flash their cash.

Thankfully most of that is easily ignored/avoided but the amount of outdoor types around!

gonefishin
    Free Member

Eating out/ drinking in Aberdeen reflects this culture. Not many great places to eat out and even a curry can be expensive. Lots of atempts at style over substance with people trying to flash their cash.

On the whole I agree but in terms of food it’s better than it used to be; there are a few really nice places to eat in town these days as well as a few other places out of town.

arcadian
    Free Member

Places like Maggies Grill and the Boozy Cow have really nice food for a decent price. A fair amount of places are a bit of a rip, but if you get a spree book you can get nice discounts (usually one free main course) from most places.

trail_rat
    Free Member

agree with gonefishin and the really good places tend to be better priced too imo.

How ever you generally find those by chance.

There is a culture of keeping up with the Jones round here. Lots of people in a lot of debt for big mortgages car loans etc. Our 21 year old receptionist drives a brand new Audi s3! My car 9 year old focus is by far one of the oldest scabbiest cars in the car park, but it is one of the few owned out right!

you are me right ?

I work off shore yes – but my dayrate goes into my mortgage / pension and house because the last thing i want to be doing when i have kids is be working out here…….just because i had a flash white audi when i was 25 (currently at 13°52’46.44″S123°19’4.33″E)

arcadian
    Free Member

Weirdly, a guy in my rig lives down the street from me – he has 2 massive Audis in his drive, whereas we have 2 Fords. Only thing is our house is about twice as big as his, probably because we don’t pay a grand for 2 giant Audis every month. Also, I’ve noticed indicators come as an expensive optional upgrade on Audis in town, which is why none of them ever indicate :/

trail_rat
    Free Member

no one else on my street works offshore.

I love it.

No jones’s to keep up with – we all drive shit cars , we dont ever talk shop, a few of us even ride bikes and we all get along just fine.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Worth a visit, I’d say it’s probably significantly different enough to most of England that you should get up for a poke about before committing to anything. There’s positives, the outdoor scene in particular however personally I wouldn’t go back. It’s pretty bleak in winter (and come to think of it a large part of the other seasons!), it lacks culture and character and there’s a lot of knobs keeping up with the Joneses (present company excluded of course) and living costs are high. The decent money on offer can offset some of that and afford you a nice house and a social life that would be significantly cheaper in other parts of the country, but of those I know up there not on oil money there seems to be an eternal frustration at living costs, lack of affordable housing etc.

Oh and Peterhead, just don’t bother.

rugbydick

no one else on my street works offshore.

TR, do you still live out Garlogie way? If so, there is no one else on your street.

I guess I was in a similar situation to you, Golfchick.
    Move to Aberdeen from England about 5 years ago for work; stayed for the outdoors.
    I can’t think of anywhere else in the UK that’s able to offer me the work-life balance I get in Aberdeen, with a relatively healthy salary to boot.

Yes, it’s a long way from anywhere else.
    Yes, the city isn’t the greatest.
    Yes, it can be a bit grey and dull.
    But when the sun is shining (as it is right now) and I’m out in the hills (as I will be when I finish work at lunchtime today), there’s not many places I’d rather be.

trail_rat
    Free Member

rich – i wish i could afford a house where i had no one on my street…..

im in some ex farm worker cooncil cottages.

dragon
    Free Member

Today is lovely, it’s so annoying I had to drive in rather than cycle.

I don’t get the whole Aberdeen is grim thing, sure it’s not amazingly beautiful but IMO it’s no worse than a lot of other UK cities. Traffic can be rubbish, but still isn’t as bad as the S.E. England IMO.

Worst thing is going on holidays where there really isn’t much choice but to fly from elsewhere, with all the faff that entails.

Aside – Are white Audi Q3 & Q5’s on BOGOF offer right now, the roads seem covered in them.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

In Aberdeen for a while and never liked it. Moved out to near Stnehaven and loved it. Most of round Aberdeen’s nice although Peterhead is pretty grim. Some of Aberdeenshire, especially Deeside is eyewateringly expensive.
    If I found myself back up that way, I think I’d be looking at the Stonehaven area again, especially if working south of the Dee.
    traffic, esp rush hour is a nightmare. There’s talk of the a ring road being built but that’s at the same stage it was at when I was there nearly 15 years ago so don’t be holding your breath for that.
    If you are in Aberdeen for interviews or checking the place out, here’s something to pass some time. Take a small pair of binoculars and go to the beach amusement arcade, get a cup of tea or coffee and maybe a bacon roll at the Inversnecky cafe and sit outside looking out to sea. Odds are you’ll see dolphins, they’re great to watch.

euain

I wouldn’t live North of Aberdeen, its a bit bleak but west up deeside is lovely, but prices reflect that.

Don’t write off North of Aberdeen completely – we moved up to between Meldrum and Inverurie and think it’s a great place to live. More coastal was a bit bleak – but once you’re a bit inland it’s much nicer. Local riding is great (Bennachie is on your doorstep) and you’re going to be closer to Peterhead if you need to get there for work.

GolfChick
    Free Member

To give a litle bit of a story and thanks for the views so far I’m going to be working in Peterhead itself and my only limits as far as living is to be able to get to peterhead for work and find somewhere to rent with the dog at first. Im not a big concert/outside eater night life person, I’m very much more the outdoors so the Cairngorms is a big pull for me. My other option is look to continue the application process in dumfries and galloway region.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Only thing wrong with Aberdeen is Aberdonians… 😀

gonefishin
    Free Member

In that case the places euain mentioned would be better that Aberdeen itself. You could also look a bit further towards Fraserburgh and Banff, but that’s not an area I know a lot about.

Gowrie
    Free Member

I was brought up just outside Peterhead, my mother still lives in Stuartfield. Peterhead was pretty grim when I was there (nearer 40 years ago than I’d care to admit), but everytime I go it seems even more down at heel now. If I had to choose a place to live up there now it might be Ellon, or some of the little villages around. I really like it north and west of Inverurie, but that’s maybe a bit far if you’re working in Peterhead. Some like the small ex fishing villages, but personally I’d stay away from the coast.

rugbydick

Agreed, there’s some lovely spots around Inverurie, even towards Ellon, that would work for a commute to Peterhead.

I’m sure there’s plenty of eligible bachelors bikers that would be happy to show you around the local trails and into the ‘Gorms.
    And don’t forget the fairly active local Mates Races scene too…

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Don’t write off North of Aberdeen completely

+1 – my brothers just outside Fraserburgh and it seems nice enough. roads aren’t that great though and I can see winter commutes being a bit interesting.
    Also +1 for Ellon. Knew a few people there, strong community/village feel and closer to the fleshpots of Aberdeen.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I lived in Aberdeen for a year 97-98. I liked it. It was nice to be able to have a short walk one way to the beach and the other way to union street. Cycling is also great straight from the city centre.

I still have a place up there in the city centre and was last there a few years ago, hasn’t changed much and I still liked it.

I wouldn’t live in Peterheid though.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Ellon to Inverurie ‘corridor’ would be good for Peterhead access and mountains access. Depends on whether you want short commute to work or short commute to mountains.
    I’d avoid living on the A90 corridor, push further West.
    Go to ASPC.co.uk for rental properties, they have a great search engine although word of mouth for a nice cheap cottage under £700 a month is the best!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I lived in Aberdeen for a year 97-98. I liked it. It was nice to be able to have a short walk one way to the beach and the other way to union street.

Fittie?

Gary_M
    Free Member

About 10 minutes walk to there/30 seconds to union street.

rOcKeTdOg

Stuart McBride rates it

stanfree
    Free Member

I was born there but grew up In Elgin but visited Aberdeen regularly to watch The Dons and for nights out and shopping. I personally find the place fairly drab and don’t think Aberdonians are the friendliest. That said If pushed I’d probably go either North (Inverurie) or South (Stonehaven). As mentioned before Golf and Access to the Hills would be a major plus point for living around the area.

Oh and go and watch The Dons as they are on the Up again. 😀

Deveron53
    Free Member

Aberdeen is like the USA. Why would YOU move to the USA?

Employment and/or geography perhaps? The friendliness/unfriendliness of the people doesn’t come into it.

I live in town but rarely actually visit the town centre. I mainly go from work to home and to the mountains. I drive an automatic and have a large library of tunes to listen to while stuck in traffic.

I hate golf, I dislike football and whisky makes me ill. But I LOVE the mountains and the freedom that the access laws give people up here. The hills are also mostly empty.

My simple and clumsy illustration (but it’s the way I feel!):
    Aberdeen is a bit like Sheffield in that it’s a city (with terrible traffic!) that’s close to somewhere like the Peak District (Bennachie and the Ladder Hills etc) but it’s got the Lake District and the Yorkshire Dales and Snowdonia and the North Yorkshire Moors all bolted on to it just the other side. The North Aberdeenshire countryside is all agricultural and rolling a bit like the Yorkshire Wolds. There is no such thing as a footpath, bridleway or anything like that. They’re all trails and you can wander on or off them using feet, wheels and hooves! Most walkers say hello and step out of the way but you rarely see them. Aberdeenshire has the highest horse ownership per head of population in the UK but I don’t think I’ve EVER passed one on the trails, which illustrates how vast and empty this place is!

Just get up here!

dragon
    Free Member

I’d look at Inverurie then, easy-ish to get to Peterhead but can ride straight out to Bennachie for an evening.

It’s funny how people class things as expensive or not, I moved up from S.E. England and so Aberdeen didn’t look pricey, but I guess if you come from elsewhere it will.

I’m like Deveron53 am pretty much in town but rarely visit it. The West End while pricey is packed with runners, cyclists and the like.

Gowrie
    Free Member

Oh and go and watch The Dons as they are on the Up again

As Buff Hardy used to say – “the finest football team in Merkland Road….”

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Living in and around Aberdeen?’ is closed to new replies.