Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Liverpool – Pub and food recommendations?
  • jackthedog
    Free Member

Spending a couple of days in Liverpool next month and would appreciate a heads up on where’s good to go for a nice pint of an evening. Preferably a good real ale pub with nice atmosphere and no tellies or karaoke.

Also any good curry houses or anything? All city centre as won’t have car with me.

project
    Free Member

victoria street area is very freindly and theyre very accomodating types there 🙂

Lots of people come to Liverpool by car, and someone else takes it home for them,

binners

When I worked in the Pool, we used to drink at The Baltic Fleet

nealy
    Free Member

Doctor Duncans http://g.co/maps/p8v5g

The Jacaranda http://g.co/maps/nk6sb

On Mathew Street The Cavern Pub and Flanagans

Also… http://www.visitliverpool.com/xsdbimgs/Real%20Ale%20Liverpool.pdf

fizzpup
    Free Member

leaf is excellent for food, really food anywhere around bold street. If you fancy a Chinese cant recommend big bowl noodles enough they are really friendly nice food well presented and cheap.

for drinks it depends what your after but if its a good atmosphere and great selection of beers then the ship and mitre is brill although a little out of the way, (they have a beer menu) rigbys is also good or the lady of mann but then again i can’t stand mathew street it just doesn’t suit me so.

Garry_Lager

Ship and mitre seconded. That’s the main real ale place in the centre. That moorfields area is a nice spot for bevvying although it’s quieter – The White Lion is another good alehouse round the back there.

surfer
    Free Member

Ship and Mitre +1

konagirl
    Free Member

“Preferably a good real ale pub with nice atmosphere and no tellies or karaoke.”

Depending on which bit of the city centre you are staying in either:
    – Ship & Mitre (Dale St), great beer selection, good pub food. Also Rigby’s (Dale St, pub food) and The Lion Tavern (Moorfields). Tapas at La Vina (opposite Rigby’s) is quite good if you need something more substantial in that area.
    – Philharmonic (Hope St, by the cathedrals), usually 5-8 beers on tap, only listed urinal in the UK, can be busy.

The curry houses are mostly along Renshaw Street, so the Phil/Bold St area is closest. But there are loads of good places to eat, depends on your budget!

EDIT: And as Binners suggested, the Baltic Fleet serves good beer, so if you are staying in the vicinity of the docks, it’s a good bet.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Thanks all.

timc
    Free Member

nealy – Member

The Jacaranda http://g.co/maps/nk6sb

Its shut down now

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Used to go to the Ship and Mitre for lunch and a couple of pints when I was at uni down there. Dr Duncans was good back then as was the Jacaranda – hazy memories 😀

Sidney
    Free Member

Good suggestions so far.

If you fancy a pint whilst you watch a film then check out FACT by Bold street. Oh, you said no TVs!

I remember going to the Dispensary and really enjoying a hand pumped Cains cask lager (the local brewer) and really enjoying it. I was more or a lager drinker in my uni days.

Fly in the loaf on hardman street (not far from Philamonic) has a good selection. Don’t know what its like now though I wouldn’t have gone there on a weekend a few years back.

nealy
    Free Member

Its shut down now

WTF! Shows how long it’s been since I was last out 🙁

Sidney
    Free Member

As long as they don’t close the Raz!

donsimon
    Free Member
    Sidney
    Free Member

The Swan Inn, you sure? I think it’s a mecca for bikers of another kind. I have vague recollections walking past it and seeing a leathered up chap walking into there with swastika tattoo on his forehead.

timc
    Free Member

jackthedog

where are you staying, who are you travelling with? ill suggest on this info

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Dispensary on Renshaw st,great little Pub top selection of beers,even though it’s 15 miles away it’s my local!
    The Grapes behind the bombed out church,the fly in the loaf & the Philarmonic good selection of beers in all of them.
    Down the other end The Ship & Mitre and Rigbys.
    Another excellent one is The Shipping Forecast on Slater street,they’ve got Doom Bar on draught there 🙂

jackthedog
    Free Member

Sorry folks, don’t realise there had been some more replies since I last posted.

We checked out the Philharmonic (made sure I had a wee in the listed urinal), the Baltic Fleet (dunno if it’s always like that but was wonderfully ramshackle during our visit, good beer and nice warm fire), Doctor Duncans (little spoilt by loud sweary blokes talking about putting women in their place) and fell in love with the Ship and Mitre. Great selection of beers draught and bottled, good whiskeys, nice people and great food courtesy of the chap through the little hatch.

Good couple of days, thanks for the recommendations all.

sweepy
    Free Member

I used to work at the swan inn in liverpool, It was biker/student bar, but with a good mix of others, and largely freindly. Top real ales as well.
    That guy probably didn’t have a swastika, it was probably a 13- but with the 3 backwards, cos it had been done in a mirror I think. Actually a nice bloke.
    It was twenty years ago, but i’d recommend it highly. (And I do mean ‘highly’)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Liverpool – Pub and food recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.