Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • little bits of kit that make your cycling a bit better?
  • lunge

Di2. Yes, it’s expensive and mechanical does the same job but it is just plain awesome.

Planet-X Non-slip bar tape. It costs under £6 a role and feels simply brilliant in the hands.

My age old Selle Italia Flite saddle. Often I get lured my something lighter, more modern or prettier, but after a while, normally when I have a long ride planned, the Flite comes back on and my arse is happy again.

honourablegeorge

Reading this thread, I can tell that it’s bloody cold.

benp1

So much, and without being product specific –

Mudguards – road and off road. Just make life less messy and more comfortable

Quality lights – off road, being able to see properly. road, being able to see but also being visible

Rack and rack pack – makes commuting life so easy

Warm gloves – cold hands are awful

Child seat – best of both worlds!

GPS – makes off road rides so much less work knowing you can plan in advance and follow a route even if the rain and other grim weather

Windproof gilet – road, amazing how much difference something so small can make

Softshell – great for off road riding – warm, breathable, comfy

matt_outandabout

Helly Warm hybrid Merino, Alpkit merino socks and waterproof shorts.

Patagonia Capeline short sleeve top and ancient pair of Sombrio shorts for summer.

Dry trails…

Tracey

Womens saddles.

blader1611
    Free Member

A motor hidden down my seat post.

beano68
    Free Member

Mudhuggers
    Sweet protection mudride shorts
    Garmin 520 – my riding companion 😀

mindmap3
    Free Member

Another vote for dropper posts – wouldn’t be without one now.

Having a baby – it’s made be appreciate my time out on the bike so much more, even when the weather is rubbish! I think I used to take my cycling time a bit for granted until I became a dad. Not any more!

Klunk
    Free Member

cannondale le winter gloves, in their 11th year, brilliant bit of kit.

andybrad

quality tyres.

5:10 shoes.

bibshorts

craig24
    Free Member

Garmin Etrex and another vote for a dropper post.

dday

Not sure if a dropper post counts as a ‘little bit of kit’, but what did we do before them? Wider bars were a revelation. But I do like my overshoes, £12 Planet-X overshoes keep my toes toasty.

Burchy1
    Free Member

My cut off RAF waterproof trousers have made the last 3 months a lot less ‘gritty’

Think i might have picked ’em up after reading a Ton thread, so cheers Ton.

dannyh
    Free Member

The little loop of Velcro around one of the helmet vents at the back that stops my light cable flapping around my back and neck so much.

seanthesheap
    Free Member

For road riding:
    Wide, light and supple tyres (compass Barlow Pass). bliss.
    Full length mudguards, why didn’t i do this years ago.

For MTB:
    Big tyres & wide rims.
    1 x gearing.

For all Cycling:
    XXX Brooks Cambium Saddle XXX 😀 Lurvly.

Sundayjumper

+1 on waterproof socks, I end up wearing them all year round.

mrblobby
    Free Member

This time of year… SKS Chromoplastics.

And as I don’t think it’s been mentioned…. open tubulars and latex tubes. Lovely. All year round.

somafunk

Showers pass refuge jacket, goretex storm over trousers and Northwave Arctic boots have kept me riding over the winter deluge so far and have been indispensable on just about every ride in the past few months

teasel
    Free Member

Windproof-fronted jerseys – my nipples thank you.

Tubeless tyres.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Another two from me:

Clement Strada LGG tyres for the roadie (tan walled, obvs).
    Challenge Grifo tyres for the CX’er (tan walled, obvs).

Both are exceptional.

eshershore
    Free Member

The one bit of kit I really love whether road biking, mountain biking or commuting?

A ‘buff’.

So simple but makes cycling in colder wetter weather so much more pleasant!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Love my Rapha Softshell.
    Warm, Windproof, sorted.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

MasterCard.

bensales
    Free Member

Assos minty arse lard.
    Rapha essentials pouch.
    The little multitool hidden in the frame of my new Specialized. Means I’ll never forget it.

CraigW
    Free Member

At this time of year, pogies. Much better than suffering with cold fingers and chilblains etc.
    And Northwave winter boots.

theboatman
    Free Member

Giro merino cycling hat in cold foul weather.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

+1 for northwave boots, but only in conjunction with my awful looking police issue ebay goretex trousers. 20 miles of very wet lakes riding and dry warm feet. 😉

New cheap LED lights, when £25 buys what £200 would have only 5 years ago you know things are improving.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Sudocrem.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Defeet gloves

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Glacier gloves, Five10’s half a size too big with Sealskinz and woolie boolies below.

On a day like today, if I have warm toes and fingers, I’m a happy bunny.

moonsaballoon

Flat pedals , rode clipless for years until I did my first enduro , flats just gave me much more confidence on the downs and I didn’t notice losing much on the ups .
    Montane dyno softshell , mine is full of little holes now after years of abuse i would of got another one but they don’t make it any more.
    Dropper post and wide bar have been genuine actual improvements for normal riders

Yak

ESI chunky grips – the comfiest by far
    Neoprene overshoes – makes winter bearable for my feet
    Windproof-front jerseys and gilets. Both remove the need for a jacket in all but the heaviest rain.
    100% Brisker gloves – all the insulation on the back and super thin on the grip side. All the winter glove benefits, and all of the grip/feel of a summer glove.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Little things?

Saddle bag on the road bike. No more “forgot my tube/multitool/wallet/BC ID card/money” moments any more.

Frame mounted pump. One less thing to carry in my jersey. Hardly notice the rattling.

vmgscot

Viewranger app

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Rapha soft shell base layer combined with a Rapha soft shell jacket.

thomthumb
    Free Member

winter boots

lightman
    Free Member

Pogies.
    In all my years of cycling and the constant cold hands no matter what gloves, or how many I wore, a simple pair of Pogies means I can ride without cold hands when the weather gets well into freezing temps.
    They are the best cycling item that I have ever bought and because they’re on my fat bike, they don’t look to out of place.

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘little bits of kit that make your cycling a bit better?’ is closed to new replies.