Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Little bit of good news – community buyout of Langholm Moor
  • grum
    Free Member

Even though I think people like the Duke of Buccleuch should be guillotined and the land taken off them anyway, this has to be good news.

Buccleuch Estates said on Monday it would be selling just over 2,000 hectares (about 5,000 acres) of Langholm Moor for £3.8m to the local community, which plans to create a leading new nature reserve and community regeneration project.

The deal, the largest ever community buyout in the south of Scotland, follows months of fundraising by the Langholm Initiative, which only succeeded with hours to spare before the deadline of 31 October.

Kevin Cumming, the initiative’s project leader, said he was thrilled with the deal. “Community ownership can be a catalyst for regeneration, which we want to show can be done with the environment at its heart,” he said. “We hope the success here will encourage and inspire other communities in Scotland and across the UK.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/nov/02/scottish-village-langholm-moor-duke-of-buccleuch

tjagain

Yup – good news indeed. One less green desert for psychopaths to slaughter animals for the fun of the bloodlust

duncancallum

Saw on dfgwo good news indeed

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    grum
    Free Member

I think it’s the biggest one in the S of Scotland too, I know it’s not as big an issue but it would be good if this kind of thing spread to England. Plenty of grouse moors in Yorkshire that could be rewilded.

thelawman

Indeed. That is exceptionally good news, and Christ knows we need a bit of that at the moment. Wishing them the absolute best of luck with it. Sounds like their plans, in part at least, are likely to be quite similar to the reforesting work that’s happened at Carrifran.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Little bit of good news – community buyout of Langholm Moor’ is closed to new replies.