Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Lithium Batteries to be banned as cargo on flights.
  • righog
    Free Member

Not sure if this will have much of an effect on the supply of bike light batteries. But I might buy a couple of of 18650’s just in case.

Lithium Battry flight ban

jam-bo

Lithium Batteries to be banned as cargo on passenger flights.

i fixed the important missing detail..

wwaswas

I wondered about this.

It seems it’s only as cargo on passenger flights though so may not affect those buying single lights that are shipped by the large courier co’s.

Might be different if you were heading overseas to ride and wanting to take lights with you though as there seems to be fairly limited exemptions.

stumpy01

Applies to passenger aircraft only. I doubt most lithium batteries intended for sale are transported via passenger aircraft.

Did you read the article? It says…

Lithium-ion batteries, which are rechargeable, can still be transported on cargo planes.

GrahamS

From the article:

The UN aviation agency has prohibited cargo shipments of lithium-ion batteries on passenger aircraft
    Lithium-ion batteries, which are rechargeable, can still be transported on cargo planes.

Don’t think that will impact the supply of batteries – but it will make travelling with them a pain in the arse.

What are they going to do about the lithium-ion batteries in every day devices like phones, tablets, laptops and cameras??

scotroutes

It’s stopping cargo shipments on passenger flights, not those in passenger luggage.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I think this is just aimed at ‘bulk’ shipments which, if ignited, are difficult to extinguish.

peteimpreza

These batteries are not seen as a risk if shipped individually or inside the machine they will be powering .

Taking your mobile phone or DSLR on holiday will not be an issue .

Nor is bulk air freighting rechargeable devices .

I know this because it’s part of my job .

GrahamS

Thanks pete, it would have been nice if the article had clarified that point itself.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Thanks pete, it would have been nice if the article had clarified that point itself.

The first line of the article says

“The UN aviation agency has prohibited cargo shipments of lithium-ion batteries on passenger aircraft over concerns by pilots and plane makers that they are a fire risk.”

A camera with a spare battery is not a “cargo shipment of lithium ion batteries”.

GrahamS

Fair enough. I took that to mean lithium-ion batteries shipped in the cargo hold (i.e. in main luggage), not bulk shipments.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Nice video of some exploding LiIon laptop batteries:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25733142
    😯

GrahamS

See that article is just as confusing because the video shows individual consumer batteries exploding and the text says:

“From cameras to e-readers and laptops, the average passenger aircraft now has dozens if not hundreds of electronic gadgets on board.
    Even a small camera battery is powerful enough to explode and start a fire that could have disastrous consequences. ”

moreupsthandownz
    Free Member

Mis-declaration and it’ll fly nuff said!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Lithium Batteries to be banned as cargo on flights.’ is closed to new replies.