Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 120 total)
  • List your top sci-fi hand held weapons
  • Cougar

where’s that 2nd one from cougar? (even by sf/rpg standards it looks a bit silly)

It’s Lightning’s foldy-sword thing from FF13. It’s probably got some special name like ‘Tiger Doomblade’ or such, but I don’t remember what.

hora
    Free Member

LOL sad but LOVE this thread 😆

Cougar
    willard

1. Lightsaber
    2. Lazy Gun
    3. Pulse rifle/smart gun from Aliens
    4. FrintArms HandCannon

Although I think that everything after the first two would be pretty useless.

AlexSimon

Love some of these.
    Some of the weapons are nothing without their owners.
    Cases in point:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pxjnl1yuXk[/video]

IA

There’s some pretty cool stuff in the Takeshi Kovacs books (Richard Morgan, start at Altered Carbon, ace stuff, can’t wait for them to make the film).

But to stretch “hand held” i’m going to go for one (anyone, pick one) of Kovacs’ military combat “sleeves”*

*customised bodies people are downloaded into

woody2000

Some of the weapons in District 9 were awesome.

TPTcruiser

The war with the Sov Bloc in Judge Dredd had a stub gun, cuts through anything when fired but overheated and blew up in the hands of the firer.

Was it the lazy gun or the stupid gun in Against a Dark Background? Ian M. Banks likes his ultimate weapons.

D0NK

It’s Lightning’s foldy-sword thing from FF13

ah I played vii-x then kinda lost interest, 11 was mmo (which I don’t do) and 12 was mleh, so much so I didn’t bother finishing it(!)

13 good then?

unklehomered
    Free Member

Don’t know if i missed it but…

also

RealMan
    Free Member

Oh, also the super soaker filled with petrol or whatever from attack the block, as used by those kids, props and mayhem.

And pyramid head’s sword thing..

D0NK

A portal device isn’t a weapon, no, not even if you drop blocks on someone with it

it is a kickass bit of equipment tho.

portlyone

I guess Darth Maul’s lightsabre needs a special mention too.

willard

The Lazy Gun was in Against a Dark Background. Awesome weapon with a great sense of [dark] humour.

If we’re talking about sci-fi genre games, how about a BFG9000 or Half-Life 2’s gravity gun?

Cougar

13 good then?

I enjoyed it. It suffers from being very linear though, the only time you really get to explore with any sort of sandbox freedom is after you’ve completed the main storyline. I wouldn’t say it’s a must-run-out-and-buy, but it’s worth the ten quid or so it’s going for these days.

13-2 is a follow-on, and looks to have fixed that niggle, but I’ve barely scratched the surface of that yet.

CHB

Some great stuff here folks….the geekery of STW has been unleashed!

seavers
    Free Member

Oh wait you said Sci-fi

montylikesbeer

monkey_boy
    Free Member

Have to agree it has to be the lightsaber

but the ‘Wunderwaffe-DG-2’ is cool from Blackops Zombies on PS3/XBOX…

Packed with 200,000 amperes of devastating chained electrical current, in-game it is incredibly powerful, sending a bolt of lightning at the targeted enemy, killing it instantly. The bolt then proceeds to hit up to 9 nearby enemies with no obvious diminished power for a maximum killing potential of ten enemies.

seavers
    Free Member

Reach, SWAT online…oh yes please….

Kato

CountZero

Not quite SF, but close, this is cool:

A Serbu Super-Shorty; a modified Mossberg Maverick shotgun, as used by the lovely Fi in Burn Notice:

Fi’s rather fond of this, too:

A Remington 700 AICS sniper rifle

Mmmmm, girl with big gun, be still my beating heart. 😈

juan
    Free Member

Mmmmm, girl with big gun, be still my beating heart.

Are you Palin’s secret lover then?

hora
    Free Member

BoardinBob – Member
    Kinda sci-fi

Naughty. Not strictly right however it was awesome how it it down the follage!

Euro
    Free Member

Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Tah!

Underhill
    Free Member

Koenig’s gun from Space 1999. Has the advantage of being easily replicated with Lego.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Jebus

Page four with still no mention of a phased plasma rifle in the forty watt range

😯

ChrisL

Northwind

Can I get away with a Persuadertron?

colournoise

Underhill – Member
    Has the advantage of being easily replicated with Lego.

+1

I seem to remember Star Trek (TOS) phasers were fairly easily Legoable too.

slainte 😆 rob

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

4 pages and nobody’s mentioned the Stubb Gun from the Apocalypse War!!!!!!

Not hand held but hand played and my favorite:

The Pandemonium

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!

CountZero

juan – Member
    Mmmmm, girl with big gun, be still my beating heart.
    Are you Palin’s secret lover then?

Who?

stevomcd
    Free Member

One for the real geeks…

Wookster

Steve Eldar Harliquin??? From 40k!?! 😳

mattk
    Free Member

Harlequin’s kiss, nasty bit of kit!

crikey
    Free Member

Thread well and truly capped and put to bed:

Lummox

Dreadnought[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-GAm-lr31Pa8/TW_hB6WC_mI/AAAAAAAAAnY/u3aaKfyFzgY/s1600/dreadnought-wallpaper-1024.jpg[/img]

bencooper
    Free Member

The Culture, of course, has the best guns:

“Micro Armaments System, Rifle. It’s… oh, look, Zakalwe; it has ten separate weapon systems, not including the semi-sentient guard facility, the reactive shield components, the IFF-set quick-reaction swing-packs or the AG unit, and before you ask, the controls are all on the wrong side because that’s the left-hand bias version, and the balance — like the weight and the independently variable inertia — are fully adjustable. It also takes about half a year’s training just to learn how to use it safely, let alone competently, so you can’t have one.”
    —Skaffen-Amtiskaw

z1ppy

llama – Member
    APART from anything is star wars

The things in Dune that amplify their blue eye power thing

FFS, at least try and get it right.. they had blue eye due to the spice melange & is not a ‘power’ (though spice entends your ‘life’), the sonic weapon or Weirding Module, as per Euro’s post, was powered by the welder’s voice. From wiki “Director David Lynch is said to have adapted the weirding way into the Weirding Module because he did not like the idea of “Kung-fu on sand dunes””.
    Fantastic movie and way ahead of it’s time, often slagged for limitations in the bluescreen/CGI technology of the time, and ‘Sting’ being in it.

That been bugging me for a week now… I needed to get it off my chest.

Anyhow I always fancied one of these M56 Smartguns from Aliens:

It’s always a issue with fully automatic/heavy machine guns about how to use them whilst on the move but the “steady cam” mounts fixed this perfectly. Unfortunately there not shown too their full potential during the film

ChrisL

While there is a lot that is cool about the Smart Gun, I think that the lower of the diagrams below demonstrates why it would not be particularly practical in real life…

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 120 total)

The topic ‘List your top sci-fi hand held weapons’ is closed to new replies.