Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)
  • List of things to buy for a week riding in the alps?
  • Northwind

+1 for painkillers! Nice to have, and annoying to obtain. Indigestion pills, some basic strapping stuff- things to keep you going basically. I took a load of the blue self-amalgamating medical tape, knowing it can keep me going even when things are not really working right.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I mean me all have plenty of experience riding Mountainbikes.

Riding mountain bikes where? The mountains in sussex?

But come on, the pleney run has some steep sections in it, as do most of the downhill tracks in the uk?!?!

The thing that’ll ruin you most in the alps is the length of the hills and the braking bumps.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The long descents made the dropper post even more useful. If it was a Dh trip I wouldn’t bother but for trail it was great especially round d les arcs. Just pop a normal post in the spares box.

For my first trip we took the spares list and split between the group.

nickc

Good MTB specific insurance. Basic holiday insurance may not cover you.

Myth, as long as you’re not racing, you’re fine.

Hanger, couple of tubes, couple of spare brake pads,

before you go:-

Service the forks/rear shock if you’ve got one, check bearings/pivots.

Bear in mind though, it’s just dirt, same as UK… 😀

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Myth, as long as you’re not racing, you’re fine

….and dont intend requiring a helicopter rescue, unlikely admittedly.

Sorry OP, I guess this thread isnt helping much?!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just check the wording and exclusions on the policy. All vary all have clauses and definitions. E.g. dog tag have cycling (road) mountain biking , dh mountain biking and race on different levels of cover and risk. Bwsr to check before. Rhetoric excess may vary massively too.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Ride sensibly, have fun, and you wont need a bag of pain killers, new pads every day, new rims or hospital treatment. Better to have stories of full day’s riding than willy waving stories of crashes, broken bikes and A&E visits. IMO anyway.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Agentdagnamit great sentiments and ideas but in the course of 2 weeks with lifts you can end up riding the equivalent of months of descents in the UK. I’d rather be prepared than stuck either in pain of with a broken bike. Last trip I had one crash in 10 days and the bike was unscathed. I’ve seen stuff break and people hurt themselves on the simplest thing at the end of a day etc.

chakaping
    Free Member

Take a couple of gear cables too. They can snap quite easy

elltell
    Free Member

Good thread……………

dantsw13

Wolfenstein – enjoy your week, I’m sure you will.

I’m obviously not Northern enough or DH enough to be allowed an opinion on here.

Northwind

mikewsmith – Member

Agentdagnamit great sentiments and ideas but in the course of 2 weeks with lifts you can end up riding the equivalent of months of descents in the UK.

Yup. Every day we were doing more vertical than I’d do in 3 or 4 normal rides in the UK, not to mention that the trails themselves were often harder than a typical UK trail (not neccesarily in terms of the hardest features, but just the fact that there’s tons of stuff happening, and often at speed). I reckon a week of alps riding did about 3 months wear and tear on my Hemlock, and at least thta on me too!

ianv
    Free Member

I was out for a longish time this summer (4 bikes, me and my son). The things I had to do were:
    Replace gear cables (lots)
    Replace rear mech
    Replace tyres (3 between two of us)
    Replace loads of inner tubes (mostly mine with single ply minions)
    Replace a brake lever
    Service fork and shock

nickc

I reckon a week of alps riding did about 3 months wear and tear on my Hemlock

Really? How?

Admittedly I’ve never ridden a full suss, but still..In all my Alps experience I think the most I’ve done is change brake pads, and if I’m honest I probably only did because I’d bought them with me. the Alps in summer are pretty dry, and even when it rains it’s tends not to turn into grinding paste, it’s dusty for sure, but a wipe down at the end of the day was about as much as I did to bikes, a few punctures…that’s it. Obviously stuff breaks occasionally, but it’s often not just because you’re in France..

[devils advocate]
    I think a lot of folks don’t look after their bikes well enough, and a trip to Alps exposes poor maintenance routines- especially full sussers
    [/devils advocate]

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Really? How?

My total stats for the year on Strava – 250,000 ft of descending, 100,000 ft of which was done in 1 week in the Alps.

chakaping
    Free Member

My damage toll from last year’s three-week Alps trip…

7 or 8 pairs of brake pads
    One gear cable
    One spoke popped loose
    Lost the Mission Control adjust knob from top of my Totem.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

How the hell do people go through so many brake pads? Do you get off the lift, apply brakes & let go again at the bottom?

In 8 years of Alps riding (predominantly DH), which amounts to over 5 months spent there we have:

– lost 1 pivot bolt on an IH Sunday.
    – Broken 1 spoke
    – Had 1 puncture (Dual Ply tyres/XC tubes)
    – Lost 1 chain

Service everything before you leave, take a few sensible spares you would struggle with & go have fun.

Ride within your limits, remember you’re there to have fun. I’ve lost count of the number of testosterone fuelled crashes I have seen out there from ‘lads riding holiday’ mentality. Guys eying up and being egged on to try stuff way past their pay grade – normally one guy has made something by blind luck & the unfortunate one spending the rest of the week hobbling around off the bike.

alexxx
    Free Member

I live in the middle of Morzine… if you can’t be arsed lugging everything or getting spare tyres then I’d happily sort you out for cost… which would be fair prices on second hand stuff (not morzine prices) or if I’ve got new tyres ect then chainreaction prices..

I’ve got all the tools and lots of spares usually apart from bike specific things like mech hangers

chakaping
    Free Member

How the hell do people go through so many brake pads?

I had older Formula The Ones on both bikes. The pads just seemed to melt on the steeper runs.

Do you get off the lift, apply brakes & let go again at the bottom?

In a lot of Verbier, yeah pretty much.

🙂

Arch-stanton
    Free Member

It’s been mentioned already, but worth mentioning again, don’t take any obscure kit over there.. or if you do, make sure you have plenty of spares and know how to fix it..
    Group I was with in the summer, one guy had some Pace RC41 fighter forks, popped a seal in one of the legs on day 1, even though he’d had them serviced just before, didn’t take any spares.. guy in the bike shop gave him 2 choices, new forks @ £400, or hire a bike @ £80 a day..

If you’re just riding around Morzine and portes de soleil, then you can get away without any sat nav etc, just when you get your lift pass ask them for a map, they’re free and whilst not to any scale as such, are perfectly useable for finding your way around..

Another thing I found useful, an ice/heat pack.. you will definitely ache after each day!

whatnobeer
    Free Member

If you’re going to go to Bike Village you won’t need the full face helmet, and you wont need big heavy DH tubes or tyres. What you use in the UK will be fine. They’re all about big back country single track rather than lift assisted DH motorways. In a week with Bike Village in our group of 12 there wasnt a huge amount of brakes or fettling. 1 rear mech, a spoke and maybe a couple of sets of brake pads. Nothing major at all.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

If you’re going to go to Bike Village you won’t need the full face helmet, and you wont need big heavy DH tubes or tyres. What you use in the UK will be fine. They’re all about big back country single track rather than lift assisted DH motorways. In a week with Bike Village in our group of 12 there wasnt a huge amount of brakes or fettling. 1 rear mech, a spoke and maybe a couple of sets of brake pads. Nothing major at all.

Absolutely. I think the biggest bike in our group was 140mm. In a FF helmet you will cook when the sun comes out and there is a fair amount of up/down/up/down. A dropper post is useful. I used a Rampage SC 2.25 tyre on the front with a Spesh Captain 2.0 on the back and it was perfect. We had 3 days of rain and one set of pads was fine all week. Worth taking arm and leg warmers as the temperature difference between the top and the bottom can be very significant – I was SO pleased to have them. Sam at BV has a well equipped workshop so you only need trail tools.
    BV also have a washing machine so at the end of the day we all just bunged our kit in and it was clean and dry for the next day – great not to have smelly gloves after 3 days.
    Medical kit is useful so if you do get a headache or stomach ache you have stuff with you.
    Apart from that, just go and have fun!

Northwind

nickc – Member

I reckon a week of alps riding did about 3 months wear and tear on my Hemlock

Really? How?

Because of maths! Just pure altitude dropped/distance covered, and the nature of the trails (also riding fast on unfamiliar trails does put a bit more stress on things)

I think in the UK only the endurance downhill race has ever put the bike through that sort of ringer, and that’s only one day.

juan
    Free Member

Wow people take all that, JFC… So when I go riding in the Alps (oh hang that is everyday riding for me) Should I take all that too? Honnest, spare tyres, a set of old but usable brake pads, a quick link a spare mech hanger a multi tool and most important a fleece a waterproof jacket and a flask of hot tea. You don’t need alld the stuff, it’s France, not the **** african jungle.

chakaping
    Free Member

Take some salt and vinegar for the chip on your shoulder juan.

Northwind

juan – Member

So when I go riding in the Alps (oh hang that is everyday riding for me) Should I take all that too?

The difference for you is, if you need to spend a couple of hours zooming around finding a part, or you need to wait a couple of days til one arrives, it’s just everyday riding. But for this lot, it’s all wasted holiday.

juan
    Free Member

Ok northwind the point I am making is that my bike doesn’t just fall off to pieces. There is no reason why your pads/cables/BB should just fail with no reason. Plus as I said, it’s france, mech hanger aside you will find a replacement part in a LBS.
    Chapaking no vinegar for me, remember I am French.

chimpley
    Free Member

My damage toll from last year’s three-week Alps trip…

7 or 8 pairs of brake pads

Crikey, I think you’re braking too much 😉

DezB
    Free Member

The 2 things I was most glad of:

and

(although I didn’t need one!)

therag
    Free Member

We had one broken pedal and one chain in our group this year, I did expect to go through pads as my rear brake was overheating regulaly, (me being over cautious) but the pads lasted the trip.
    I didn’t find food & drink much more expensive than uk cities, 15-25 euros for a good meal.

Northwind

juan – Member

Plus as I said, it’s france, mech hanger aside you will find a replacement part in a LBS.

I wouldn’t expect to just walk into any LBS, France or not, and pick up pads for a particular brake, or spokes for a particular wacky wheel, stuff like that. (see- up the page, wherein Formula Oro pads could not be located in the Tarantaise valley)

And even if they have them, I’d rather be riding than shopping.

As for bikes “falling to pieces”- there’s all sorts of legit reasons that wear and tear or crash damage are more likely to strike on holiday. Unfamiliar trails obviously, which changes a lot. For a lot of folks, quite different trails too (to me tbh it’s just like the stuff I seek out at home but not for most folks on here). So that has an impact on the bike and on the rider. We had about 10 punctures in the first 2 days and almost every time, people said “Well I don’t get any at home!”

Lots of riding too- when you go riding locally are you always uplifting and riding all day, stacking in as many metres as humanly possible to make the most of every minute? The rides I do in france are different from most rides I do here. Also lots of people just plain get carried away.

TBH if I was riding for 8 hours a day every day in the UK, and spending every night eating and drinking and sleeping instead of maintaining, it’d beat the hell out of me and my bike too. But the riding holidays I do multiply that by lots.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

3m medical tape.
    For taping up your hands if/when you get blisters.

Northwind

Oh- general Pro Tip, best thing for blisters is those Scholl foot plasters. They stay where they’re put, and they’re very cushiony, and accelerate healing a bit too. Good for general sore bits- inflamed tendons etc. They’re not cheap though but there should be some in every cyclist’s first aid stash.

chakaping
    Free Member

chamois cream is an excellent suggestion

you can buy it out there of course, still using the “anti-frottement” cream I got from InterSport

andyrm
    Free Member

Mech hangers
    Lots of tubes if you use tubes
    If you run tubeless, spare Stans fluid
    Lots of brake pads
    Gear cables
    Lots and lots of money

Cheezpleez

Don’t leave it till the last minute to service your bike, round a bolt off and have to spend £600 on emergency forks 😳

nickc

also riding fast on unfamiliar trails does put a bit more stress on things

Makes sense

packer
    Free Member

Order a load of spares from CRC, then return the ones you don’t use when you get back.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Nice one @packer.. Havent thought of that 8)

Updated list from suggestions:

Things to buy: (that i dont have)

01. Tyres (advantage or minions dhf) + inner tubes + repair kit + extra stans fluid
    02. Brake pads x 3 sets
    03. Rear mech hanger x3
    04. Chain + chain links x2
    05. Decent (all can do) toolkit (lezyne maybe)
    06. Decent MTB insurance (cover helicopter rescue)
    07. Osprey or Mule hydration/day ride bag (i think my Rogue is too small)
    08. Gear cables x2
    09. Haribo x3 8)
    10. Sun cream 8)
    11. Spare spokes
    12. Spare rotor (200mm front)
    13. Contour HD video cam (go pro 3 just too expensive and heavy + me just being cheap)
    14. Brake fluid + sus fluid
    15. Extra bit of pivot (sus link) bolts as spares (i have no idea where to get this)
    16. Ice/heat pack
    17. Scholl foot plaster for blister
    18. Shitloads of money ( i highly doubt this after purchasing all in this list)
    19. Spare Fork ( now what is CRC maximum days return of unused items?… Im not really looking forward purchasing one out of necessity and not CRC/wiggle/merlin price., or waste my holiday hours fixing it up.. I would rather deal with it when i come back)
    20. FF helmet (not really sure about this, do you need this on red routes there?.. I also want a backup helmet just in case i wanna have a go with more techy trails, probably gonna happen last days of my riding holiday.) . Plan is gonna go easy first few days.. XC / red route stuff .. Enjoying scenery as well… Dont want to have elbow/knee broken the first few hours.. Remember i still have to drive back home.

Things i already have

01. Decent elbow/knee guard
    02. XC helmet /cratoni c-maniac
    03. Clothing layers, jerseys,rain jacket,warmers
    04. First aid kit+ painkillers
    05. Dropper post came standard
    06. Camera (photo)
    07. Cleaning kit
    08. Duct tape
    09. A smile … 🙂
    10. Haribo x1

Really thanks guys for the suggestions.. This is really helpful. .. About where in alps.. I only have bike village im reading about at the moment….. They seem to cater all that there is (as their website claims to be).. I hope this is a good place to start with, being us that never been there… Im not really worried so much about the spares but it is better to have it and not need it than the other way around, after all CRC and wiggle have a very outstanding unused items return policy. I hope they’re not reading right now, or maybe i hope they do so they can come up with ALPS basic spare kits (all in one) to sell for people who have no clue. Point is.. Wish to have good riding all days of the holiday, and not wasting time worrying and shopping LBS over there in case things go south as i have 3bikes to worry already (other half and kid).. And another 2 more (friends that would maybe tag along who probably got no clue to repair or service a bike) .

And to the guy who’s selling me a minion dhf 2.5, for some reason i dont know how to send PM.. Can you send me instead and how much.. Cheers.

kimbers

any old kit will do just make sure youre packing some

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘List of things to buy for a week riding in the alps?’ is closed to new replies.