Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Lisbon – what to do?
  • tails
    Free Member

I’m going to a wedding across the other side of the Tagus river but have around 3 days in Lisbon.

Any must do’s or don’ts? I’ll probably just stay in the city unless people really really recommend Sintra.

Cheers

tails
    Free Member

Thanks but it says the page is being redesigned.

sarawak
    Free Member

I really, really recommend Sintra. Train station is a bit of a hike from the main bits, but it is cheap. Take the tripper bus up the hill and do the walk round Pena Palace. There is an entry fee but it is an excellent day out.

On the harbour front there is a little non descript doorway that let’s you get the lift up to the top of the big memorial walls. Another fee, but cheap as chips.

And watch out for pickpockets. They are everywhere…my mate lost €400 from a zipped pocket!!!(No idea why he was carrying that much)

mogrim

Any must do’s or don’ts? I’ll probably just stay in the city unless people really really recommend Sintra.

Visit Sintra, the old castle below the palace is also well worth a wander round.

Kryton57

I’ve just come back…

Barrio Alta – great bars and jazz clubs for the evening

Book a walking tour – there’s loads to see and a few hours of this will get you knowledgable quicker

Go to the Ginja shop near the Hat shop and try a sample – Yum!

Go to the Time out market for lunch – superb selection of food and Ports, Ham is superb in Portugal

Do a Port sampling tour/thing.

Go here for Dinner: https://www.bairrodoavillez.pt/en/pateo.html, but in essence eat Fish.

Don’t queue hours for the Tram but walk the 19% incline from the main square to Barrio Alto

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Personally I’d walk around, there’s loads of shops and history in short distance BUT Lisbon is hilly and the Streets are cobbled / tiled so take some confortable shoes.  Lisbon is vary varied and cosmopolitan, from modern day to Freemasons and Knights </span>Templar<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”> symbology and its mixed history hidden in plain sight everywhere, great City.</span>

sarawak
    Free Member

Take your bike…there is a Strava segment on the tram route to Barrio Alto!!!

Kryton57

Take your bike…there is a Strava segment on the tram route to Barrio Alto!!!

Jeez – good luck with that, its a street of slippy tiles and tram lines!

sarawak
    Free Member

Jeez – good luck with that, its a street of slippy tiles and tram lines!

I know. But the record is something insane. Somewhere on uTube there’s a video of the guy riding it.

tails
    Free Member

Thanks that’ll do nicely. I’ll see if I can hire a bike to get around.

Ahh the ginja shop near the hat shop, I know the one lol! I’ll try to find it.

gooner69

Do the steps night ride if you are there on a Thursday 😉

Kryton57

Ahh the ginja shop near the hat shop, I know the one lol! I’ll try to find it.

There’s only 2.  One is by the worlds oldest Hat shop in the main square, and is somewhat of a tourist attraction…

wl
    Free Member

Gulbenkian if you like art etc, and the modern art gallery towards Belem. Design Museum in the centre. Jeronimos Monastery towards Belem is stunning. The old elevator in town is pretty underwhelming – just admire it from the outside. Caipirinha cocktails in the going out bit (is that Bario Alto?) highly recommended. Cascais is only 30 mins on the train and has great beaches. Alfama is well worth walking around. We went up the big Jesus statue too, on the other side of the river, which was fun. Mint city – one of my favourites in Europe.

tails
    Free Member

Think I’ll pass cycling up that, dontbthink my wife will approve.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Lisbon – what to do?’ is closed to new replies.